Top Shelf Aquatics

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

For the same price, you get 8oz of CoralRX and 16oz of Revive, but you needs 2x the amount of revive/gallon for the treatment so it ends up being the same. I'll just see what they have locally.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahahaha, good call ;)

Anyone have a reason for coralRX vs Coral Revive?

I have both as well and find no difference :).

My husband is a home brewer with 2 dedicated refrigerators out in the garage LOL. Here's the bigger one. Most of the bottom is his home brew.

post-25164-0-04994500-1389649603_thumb.jpg

This is his homebrew brand

post-25164-0-54330200-1389649649_thumb.jpg

Thought it might interest you beer guys :)

I have both as well and find no difference :).

My husband is a home brewer with 2 dedicated refrigerators out in the garage LOL. Here's the bigger one. Most of the bottom is his home brew.

attachicon.gifbeer.jpg

This is his homebrew brand

attachicon.gifbeer2.jpg

Thought it might interest you beer guys :)

I love it!!!!

Thanks for the info on the coral dips. I've got some time - for now I need to figure out koralia placement.

I love it!!!!

Thanks for the info on the coral dips. I've got some time - for now I need to figure out koralia placement.

I'm constantly sampling new beers LOL. I've learned I'm a nut brown fan :). The more chocolatey tasting the better.

I'm constantly sampling new beers LOL. I've learned I'm a nut brown fan :). The more chocolatey tasting the better.

I love it all - stouts are probably my favorites. I do love super hoppy beer, too. Yeah, I love it all.

I love it all - stouts are probably my favorites. I do love super hoppy beer, too. Yeah, I love it all.

No hoppy for me. I tried one last night that my husband loved. Way too hoppy for me :).

So I got a package today...

20140113_184838.jpg

I ordered on Saturday and it got here today - crazy fast! Everything came as expected and looks/works great.

20140113_210206.jpg

There is only one small problem... The gooseneck doesn't really stay on my tank. It's so heavy that it tips forward and when I clamp it down, it actually pushes it MORE forward. I think it's because the bracket is wide, but the glass is thin and is only "wide" because of the plastic rim. I might have to cut it. Yay for a great light, poo for not being able to use it yet :(

20140113_210556.jpg

Note: all my stuff is still in a bucket because I had to move it there when I thought the tank was leaking and just haven't put it back into the tank yet as my AC70 and stuff isn't here yet.

Awesome! Must be the rim giving you the trouble. Mine might have tipped forward a little bit, but not terribly. It's nice to see a light on there :).

Awesome! Must be the rim giving you the trouble. Mine might have tipped forward a little bit, but not terribly. It's nice to see a light on there :).

Thanks! That's what I was thinking. I might have to cut the rim down. I don't particularly care for it, so I could try and take it off, but then I'd worry about the integrity of the tank itself. Maybe I'll just trim it in one section enough for the light?

Thanks! That's what I was thinking. I might have to cut the rim down. I don't particularly care for it, so I could try and take it off, but then I'd worry about the integrity of the tank itself. Maybe I'll just trim it in one section enough for the light?

Yeah, I would just try trimming that one section. I saw you put a question in on CC's thread. Maybe they'll have a good suggestion for you too.

Yeah, I would just try trimming that one section. I saw you put a question in on CC's thread. Maybe they'll have a good suggestion for you too.

Hopefully. I really want to be able to set this thing up totally when everything comes in tomorrow. Fish and coral need to get in there, STAT!

Gena, buy the poor lad a kegging system. It is a bit of a transition, and I promise he will NEVER go back to bottling. Get taps and drill the fridge, and collect cool tap handles. A HUGE space saving...

Gena, buy the poor lad a kegging system. It is a bit of a transition, and I promise he will NEVER go back to bottling. Get taps and drill the fridge, and collect cool tap handles. A HUGE space saving...

I've been saying the same thing to my wife. Pity it costs so much to invest in this set up. Also, thanks for the transition. I'm going to deviate and show my mead!

If you recall from earlier, somewhere on NR, I posted my mead when I first made it and pitched my yeast:

IMG_20131029_203749.jpg

This was around Halloween.

Here is what it looked like today:

20140113_181039.jpg

Way more clear and you can see the trub, or the yeast and gunk, at the bottom.

1gallon is ~3.7L, so I bottled 3 L and then dumped the rest. But not before trying it! It was pretty good. A bit more sweet than I was hoping - I was thinking more like a dry white wine, but this is more like sweet honey white wine with a champagne finish. A bit too sweet for me, but hopefully some bottle aging will mellow it down a bit.

20140113_212756.jpg

Hopefully I'll figure out the tank thing soon, and we can get back to coral and fish!

I've been saying the same thing to my wife. Pity it costs so much to invest in this set up. Also, thanks for the transition. I'm going to deviate and show my mead!

If you recall from earlier, somewhere on NR, I posted my mead when I first made it and pitched my yeast:

This was around Halloween.

Here is what it looked like today:

Way more clear and you can see the trub, or the yeast and gunk, at the bottom.

1gallon is ~3.7L, so I bottled 3 L and then dumped the rest. But not before trying it! It was pretty good. A bit more sweet than I was hoping - I was thinking more like a dry white wine, but this is more like sweet honey white wine with a champagne finish. A bit too sweet for me, but hopefully some bottle aging will mellow it down a bit.

Hopefully I'll figure out the tank thing soon, and we can get back to coral and fish!

Way to go! Looks like some good stuff.

My Nut Brown Honey Ale is going to be epic. My keg spots were all full, but I just ran out of Nut Brown and am going got the refill!

Saw you just got your light and such...looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Can you clamp that light to the table?

I can't get it on the bookshelf, but it's possible that I could build a little wooden shelf or something to clamp the light to. I was tinkering with some drawings a bit ago to try and come up with something that will hold the weight of the gooseneck and bulb.

More packages came today!

20140114_181252.jpg

Got 2x purigen 100ml

chemi-pure elite 6.5 oz

500ml phosguard and a 3"x8" sock

my new Aquaclear 70 and the AC30 impeller.

I've cut the intake tube for the AC70 to fit my tank (yes the correct side) and installed the AC30 impeller. I've figured out the light issue and CC's help was great. Score one more for them.

Now it's back to figuring out the sand cleaning. I was thinking of using the new media sock to rinse the sand, but that would seriously take hours as the bag is sooooo small. What about using an actual sock of some kind?

Everything is set up! I put the sand in a biking sock and rinsed the ever living crap out of it. It's still a BIT cloudy, but not bad at all. It's what I expect sand to look like. I think it's a good particle size, too.

Everything is running smoothly. The water is cold, but I've got the heater going and I did a 2g water change basically as soon as the water and salt were mixed (room temp which is chilly). Without livestock, I'm not worried. Bacteria and other microbes are hearty as hell.

I don't have the filtration media in yet, only filter floss. I'll do more once I know that the tank isn't mini-cycling, etc.

20140114_212636.jpg

20140114_213309.jpg

I've updated the first post with a better FTS. If all is well with the cycle and such, I think in the next week I should be picking up some coral and maybe my first fish ever!

Sawheeeeet!

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Much happier than i was with my other tanks and MUCH happier than i was when i was having trouble with the sand in this one.

Yeah! Great setup! Lets hope all the worst is behind you. Time to move forward buddy!! Lets get that garden growing!

:happydance:

LOVE it!!!!! Let the fun begin :).

The tank is a bit "foggy" so I think I have a small bacterial bloom. I noticed it the other day in the 5g bucket everything was in. Should be fine soon, as the nutrient levels will drop a bit.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived