inTank Media Baskets

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

jedimasterben

I usually don't get home from work until 6-7 and my light goes off at 7pm.

Why? I have my lights on from 11AM to 11PM. Considering 12/12.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? I have my lights on from 11AM to 11PM. Considering 12/12.

I just figured doing a normal day cycle of 7-7 would work best? I guess I could shift it.

Tank looked good this morning. Everyone is happy, except the kenya, but I moved that per my wife's request so I expected that. I didn't move it far from it's position as it was happy, but I had glued the frag down sort of lopsided and aiming down a bit so the tree kind of hung over the edge of the rock and was falling over, as it were. I simply cut the epoxy off, turned the tree around so that it would aim up and glued it back down. It will now stand vertically.

The ricordea is back down on it's little LR piece. It latched back on, but until I find a permanent place for it, I've got it sitting down on the sand below the hammer as it is a lower flow area but still plenty of light, and it can't be knocked upside down there. I think it was Merle who did it. Merle was creeping around that rock island yesterday morning and I thought he was going to zoom over my yuma too, but the yuma seems ok, so I think Merle went around.

Baron von Algenfesser may be a female. I saw Barry open it's lower carapace the other day it looked like it was taking stuff out and placing them on the under side of the upper rock of the right island. Placing eggs, I presume.

I removed the in-tank thermometer. I put a cheap little stick on thermometer on the side of the tank in the front left corner, the farthest point from the heater. I know a lot of people dislike them, but I kept it on the tank with the old thermometer for a week and the temps were spot on with each other. 78 degrees. This gives less nucleation points for growth of nuisance stuff. Also makes it easier to clean the glass and it's not in the way of viewing the tank.

I spoke too soon about the ricordea on the small rock in the sand... Came home from work to a flipped over piece of rock and no ricordea to be found... I found it under the rock that the kenya tree is on in a crevice. Put a small shot glass in the tank with the rock and ricordea to let it attach again in safety. I'm not sure what to do about this thing...

Tank looked good this morning. Everyone is happy, except the kenya, but I moved that per my wife's request so I expected that. I didn't move it far from it's position as it was happy, but I had glued the frag down sort of lopsided and aiming down a bit so the tree kind of hung over the edge of the rock and was falling over, as it were. I simply cut the epoxy off, turned the tree around so that it would aim up and glued it back down. It will now stand vertically.

The ricordea is back down on it's little LR piece. It latched back on, but until I find a permanent place for it, I've got it sitting down on the sand below the hammer as it is a lower flow area but still plenty of light, and it can't be knocked upside down there. I think it was Merle who did it. Merle was creeping around that rock island yesterday morning and I thought he was going to zoom over my yuma too, but the yuma seems ok, so I think Merle went around.

Baron von Algenfesser may be a female. I saw Barry open it's lower carapace the other day it looked like it was taking stuff out and placing them on the under side of the upper rock of the right island. Placing eggs, I presume.

I removed the in-tank thermometer. I put a cheap little stick on thermometer on the side of the tank in the front left corner, the farthest point from the heater. I know a lot of people dislike them, but I kept it on the tank with the old thermometer for a week and the temps were spot on with each other. 78 degrees. This gives less nucleation points for growth of nuisance stuff. Also makes it easier to clean the glass and it's not in the way of viewing the tank.

Most crab species have a wide triangle underneath if female, males usually have a very low triangle with a long point at the top.

Most crab species have a wide triangle underneath if female, males usually have a very low triangle with a long point at the top.

I'll see if I can get a good look. It's been hard enough to photo the little Baron.

My GSP has been unhappy lately. I think the snails have been crawling over it. There are slime trails on it and it's out sometimes and then totally in other times. More in than out now.

Tibbsy . . . If you try and solve every little thing you'll just end up making more

little things to solve and it becomes a vicious cycle. :)

Let things be. Unless something is terribly wrong. Your coral will
thank you and eventually adapt to the place you put them. Unless, of course
you've seen them look bad for a long period of time. That means try a new spot.

But if things have looked good in a spot, they will again. IMO corals are

very unpredictable from time to time. Good luck!

Stability. Stability. Stability. :) W-

Yeah, I'm forcing myself to step away a bit. I'm just going to stick with weekly maintenance now. The ricordea looks happy in the shot glass. Time to leave it all be.

I have to remember K.I.S.S.

My wife is having a ladies' night so I went to lab and did some work and now I'm grabbing a beer and cruising NR :)

A local reefer offered to sell me some palys at a low cost ($15 for any #), and they are pretty but apparently these are some of the more lethal toxin-producing ones?

http://carolinareefers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11376&d=1393874364 (img won't attach, sorry)

I worked with select agents in grad school and bioterrorist agents, but something about these has me a bit concerned, especially with such a small tank. Thoughts/advice?

thesmallerthebetter

i wouldnt worry about it until fragging time, and then just wear gloves and goggles. ive dealt with thousands of paly colonies from all over the world and never once had an issue with any toxic as a result of it....just my $0.02 tho

i wouldnt worry about it until fragging time, and then just wear gloves and goggles. ive dealt with thousands of paly colonies from all over the world and never once had an issue with any toxic as a result of it....just my $0.02 tho

Yeah, I mean, I've worked with stuff that is just as lethal, probably more so, but my wife wasn't in any jeopardy or anything. I'm not opposed to having palys - I would like some, but if these are some of the more lethal variety, I may hold off for another one. We'll see. $15 is hard to pass for some nice teal/blue-green palys.

Yah, I'd say go for it. Good deal. Unless you frag, like was said, you'll be fine.

And, don't do as I did and try and pull the paly's off of a rock. I ripped a few

and the toxin in the water basically crashed my tank. A minor crash but

a crash none the less. :)

W-

Yah, I'd say go for it. Good deal. Unless you frag, like was said, you'll be fine.

And, don't do as I did and try and pull the paly's off of a rock. I ripped a few

and the toxin in the water basically crashed my tank. A minor crash but

a crash none the less. :)

W-

I'll just wear some gloves when I place it in the water ;)

Agree. Most of the problem seem to be when people try to eradicate or are not careful while fragging. Wear gloves, don't intentionally aerosolize, and you should be fine.

<inbeforeunsubstantiatedhorrorstory>

Sorry, I dont have a login to that Carolina forum but is it similar to this:

12198458784_06aa1f3fb2_z.jpg

I dipped a rock of about 30 polyps of this in H2O2 and it released tons of slime into the tank. I think it may have caused a mini crash as most of corals looked really pissed off afterward. It didn't affect me though.

Sorry, I dont have a login to that Carolina forum but is it similar to this:

12198458784_06aa1f3fb2_z.jpg

I dipped a rock of about 30 polyps of this in H2O2 and it released tons of slime into the tank. I think it may have caused a mini crash as most of corals looked really pissed off afterward. It didn't affect me though.

Ah i didn't realize that link needed a login. Probably why it wouldn't link...

The palys are more green/teal. No spots. I'll think about them. I'd rather get different colors, but we'll see

Nuclear greens? If so, those are nice.

I dont think so. I'll link the picture when I figure out the issue.

I really want to get these zoas onto the lr on the right. I might do that tomorroa night.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived