ReefCleaners.org

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

Great tank, build, and pics! Following

Thanks.

really sweet pastel colors.

I really enjoy the colours are well. :)

Nice. Minimal LR and lots of open space suits these shallow tanks best, IMO.

Thanks, less is more imo. :)

SouthFlorida_Tron

Yah, but every time I see an ATI unit I crave that soft delicious light.

Look, I had the AI light, Sol Blue for a year. Nice, but horrible control (previous controller) and one dimensional. Sold it and got a deal on a new Radion Gen1, loved it for the colors it brought, the spread vs my previous AI Led, and gave me amazing growth. But eventually went to all the hype around T5 and SPS and within weeks saw colors transform... whats funny is that for the most part the light itself appears the same to the eye, just more full in the tank obviously, but it is "softer" as it tends to "bend" around corals, I was seeing color and even polyps in places I hadn't seen before...

I was super tempted a month ago to order up a ReefBrite Strip to mount across the front, add a touch of pop and shimmer but its one of those things, its not broke, why fix it..... Was more out of boredom LOL....

In regards to softies and whatnot, LED is more efficient and less space consuming...

• Like 1

Man, this tank is great. The Kessil just makes it look so natural.

Thanks. Yah, it's a neat light.

Look, I had the AI light, Sol Blue for a year. Nice, but horrible control (previous controller) and one dimensional. Sold it and got a deal on a new Radion Gen1, loved it for the colors it brought, the spread vs my previous AI Led, and gave me amazing growth. But eventually went to all the hype around T5 and SPS and within weeks saw colors transform... whats funny is that for the most part the light itself appears the same to the eye, just more full in the tank obviously, but it is "softer" as it tends to "bend" around corals, I was seeing color and even polyps in places I hadn't seen before...

I was super tempted a month ago to order up a ReefBrite Strip to mount across the front, add a touch of pop and shimmer but its one of those things, its not broke, why fix it..... Was more out of boredom LOL....

In regards to softies and whatnot, LED is more efficient and less space consuming...

You're right yes.

I was at a LFS the other day and he runs ATIs on his personal frag tank - and the only way I can explain it in photography terms is that the T5s are like a soft box, really nice soft light, smoother gradients. And the Kessil, while I really love the light it produces, is more like a naked flash - it's powerful, it produces deep shadows and it's sexy in it's own way. But I do love a nice soft box, so we'll see... Haha. :lol:

• Like 3
SouthFlorida_Tron

Hey, my LFS uses ONLY Kessil 350w on ALL of their tanks... even they're main display... They just have this stunning shimmer... I can honestly say that blue touch they emit is the closest LED to resemble a natural Metal Halide look....

This is just for reference but this was the display 2 weeks after opening the store last year... but when I first saw it with the hood closed I asked what kind of MH they were using hahahaha

• Like 5

Latest FTS;

I've made a few adjustments, Zoas are now where the Euphyllia were and the Euphyllia are now in the back left segment of the tank. Big open spaces in the front now with 3 different colour Staghorn Acros (Blue, Green and a Blue & Green) - placement is not yet right but the vision is that they ultimately grow from the sand to the water level.

I'm looking at getting another open water swimming fish as only the Flame Angel is really exploring.

fts_feb_13_2014.jpg

That's just amazing. Makes me want to set up my 40b even more now. I can't wait to have that sort of lighting, I couldn't afford a Kessil so I'm going to be ordering a FNI MH unit instead. Super stoked about it.

Latest FTS;

I've made a few adjustments, Zoas are now where the Euphyllia were and the Euphyllia are now in the back left segment of the tank. Big open spaces in the front now with 3 different colour Staghorn Acros (Blue, Green and a Blue & Green) - placement is not yet right but the vision is that they ultimately grow from the sand to the water level.

I'm looking at getting another open water swimming fish as only the Flame Angel is really exploring.

fts_feb_13_2014.jpg

That's pretty cool that you buried the SPS. They'll look really neat when they grow out.

That's pretty cool that you buried the SPS. They'll look really neat when they grow out.

OMG IKR!

Dude I love this tank! You gotta give me your dosing schedule if it it works out! You seem to know what youre doing!

Ps. Love Your photography! What Camera you using?

That's just amazing. Makes me want to set up my 40b even more now. I can't wait to have that sort of lighting, I couldn't afford a Kessil so I'm going to be ordering a FNI MH unit instead. Super stoked about it.

Thanks man - enjoy that MH.

I love how open this tank is, looks really clean and classy. Stags on the sand is different but I like it, they will look great when they grow out.

Thanks - yah we'll see how they go - so far they seem happy enough. :)

Gorgeous tank man! I'm absolutely in love with the kessils but I love the options and settings with the LEDs

Thanks - it's pretty basic in it's settings but that's probably a good thing for me else I'd be fiddling all the time. ;)

They have pretty big plugs so I've just covered the other edges of the plugs. Now to make them grow. fingerscrossed

OMG IKR!

Dude I love this tank! You gotta give me your dosing schedule if it it works out! You seem to know what youre doing!

Ps. Love Your photography! What Camera you using?

Thank you - I'm in the beginning phases of figuring out my dosing - but I'll share it once I'm done sure. I take most of the photos with a Canon 5d mkii, lenses are either a 16- 35mm for the wider shots or a Tamron 90mm for macros.

Tanks looking great man, once it grows out you'll appreciate all the open space you left even more.

Thanks, Im a big fan of space.

• Like 1
keithfullermusic

That tank is sweet. I'm too lazy to read through everything, is there a sump?

Make a video of that tank. It might be hard to avoid blown highlights with that white sand, but I'm sure you can handle it.

I thought I posted a response here yesterday but it's not here so I must be dreamin' :blink:

But I wanted to say that your eye for aesthetics is remarkable and enviable. Very nice tank.

Thank you, you're too kind. :happy:

This tank is going to be sick. WOW. I am not a fan of shallow tanks, but your overall build rocks!

Thanks, a long way to go still but we're slowly getting there.

That tank is sweet. I'm too lazy to read through everything, is there a sump? Make a video of that tank. It might be hard to avoid blown highlights with that white sand, but I'm sure you can handle it.

Thanks, there is a sump yes. It's very basic (more on page 2). I'll do a video when there is some more life in the tank. And you are right, it's going to be tricky but I'll try make a plan. :lol:

What are you thinking for the new open water fish?

Not sure yet. :)

Did you build this tank your self or buy it, because I cannot find anywhere that sells rimless tanks

Had the tank and sump custom built by my LFS for less than $200.

• Like 2