Pod Your Reef

Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete

Rehype

WOW that's a beautiful sump setup!

Tuff.

Thanks alot guys

That check valve is enormous! I've always wanted one for my return line, I had no idea they were actually that large.

Yea theyre pretty sizable although depending on the size of your return plumbing it can be smaller or larger.

All check valves eventually fail. This is a fact Rehype you may know already, can your sump handle a check valve failure?

I put one on my new ADA build, I was hoping to make the return much lower than I ended up with but after reading about peoples experiences on RC and other places with them I got scared and raised the outlet up to a point where the sump could handle it.

I don't see if you have a ball valve above the check valve (from what I can see), if you don't have one, you have an issue with design. The ball valve above the check valve serves two vital purposes, the stop the flow into the sump incase of a check valve failure (assuming you are there to see it), and to turn off the flow into the check valve so you can remove the check valve and clean it once and a while.

The tank is awesome Rehype, truly, can't wait for more :)

• Like 1

All check valves eventually fail. This is a fact Rehype you may know already, can your sump handle a check valve failure?

I put one on my new ADA build, I was hoping to make the return much lower than I ended up with but after reading about peoples experiences on RC and other places with them I got scared and raised the outlet up to a point where the sump could handle it.

I don't see if you have a ball valve above the check valve (from what I can see), if you don't have one, you have an issue with design. The ball valve above the check valve serves two vital purposes, the stop the flow into the sump incase of a check valve failure (assuming you are there to see it), and to turn off the flow into the check valve so you can remove the check valve and clean it once and a while.

The tank is awesome Rehype, truly, can't wait for more :)

Thanks for the feedback christine. Although I will say ive never experienced a check valve fail over the years which is why ive continued to use them. But anythings possible which is why theres a ball valve right above it (theres a pic somewhere in this thread) As an additional safety measure i have one of the return nozzles roughly an inch and a half below the surface to break the siphon in the event the check valves fails.

Thanks so much christine im loving what youve done with that ADA

• Like 1

Ooooh the returns are long enough to be that high... I was going to say having half your tank in the sump i don't think so but that changes my view on these tanks, but wouldn't the other return siphon back

jedimasterben

As an additional safety measure i have one of the return nozzles roughly an inch and a half below the surface to break the siphon in the event the check valves fails.

That won't work. The lower openings will still allow water to flow through, just not at full-siphon, think of it like a durso standpipe.

• Like 1

Ooooh the returns are long enough to be that high... I was going to say having half your tank in the sump i don't think so but that changes my view on these tanks, but wouldn't the other return siphon back

That won't work. The lower openings will still allow water to flow through, just not at full-siphon, think of it like a durso standpipe.

Thanks for that guys didnt realize that wouldnt be enough to fully stop a back siphon. Im going to throw an additional check valve in the loc-line. If both of these fail then i guess im screwed..lol

• Like 1
jedimasterben

LOL yeah, you'd definitely have the world against you, then!

I would just make sure that you can remove the valves easy to clean them. :)

LOL yeah, you'd definitely have the world against you, then!

I would just make sure that you can remove the valves easy to clean them. :)

I would take that as a sign that the universe is against me keeping an aquarium and reluctantly bow out :lol:

Definitely, thanks ben :)

Love this tank! Can't wait to see more pics.

Thanks alot titus!

Just to give you guys up update on the planted ADA. Ive had hc growing emersed for about a month. Growth was really slow at first but over the last two weeks its really started to pick up. I think ill continue growing it this way for the next month or two and then flood it.

ada-30c_1month_zps77111789.jpg

• Like 12

Come on i wanna see the ze tank even if its just rocks and water, that planted tank is so cool I love those ones that look like a tree or a path of sand

post-79083-0-16824900-1383965617.jpgpost-79083-0-56924100-1383965609_thumb.jpg

How do i keep the algae like stuff from growing on my driftwood

( these aren't my pics before I get a bunch of ooos and aaaahs

Thanks alot for the link buddy but i think im going another route. Its a beautiful specimen though..
New plan... Do tell

You know I might start a planted tank myself as I have a spare 30c but I have another surprise for everyone soon......

Awesome...gig is on a roll :happy:

Nice ada!! Btw, those dry plants grow without water?

Well you do have to soak them in water for about a 1/2 hour every few days and let them dry out.

I find myself glued to yet another Hype tank. Really looking forward to see what you do with this.

Thanks alot creeper i appreciate you following

Come on i wanna see the ze tank even if its just rocks and water, that planted tank is so cool I love those ones that look like a tree or a path of sand

How do i keep the algae like stuff from growing on my driftwood

( these aren't my pics before I get a bunch of ooos and aaaahs

New plan... Do tell

I agree i really love planted tanks they can be just as beautiful as a stocked reef. This is my first real attempt at one so i cant really offer any advice

Im going to go with fish that complement the scape.

• Like 1

Oh, so still maintenance...

Definitely

I might have missed it, but are you running an ato on this? Doesn't look like enough room in the sump.

Not just yet I need to have a custom ATO reservoir built

Solid work as usual. Nice planted tank, I miss having one. Maybe I'll start a simple little setup...

Thanks justin. You should its great to have both.

• Like 1

Consider doing one yourself. I had one quoted out for 120. Instead, I had the acrylic shop cut me the pieces. I used weldon 4 and assembled the pieces myself. came out great and saved me some money.

Really enjoying the progress on your tank!