Cultivated Reef

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, best wishes to you today- hope you're doing something fun, or bought something fun. :wizard: Pretend it's a party hat and a noise maker.

• 3 weeks later...

Ivy has gotten more aggressive. She is crazy!! I don't know if its a phase.. maybe since she is growing so rapidly she is crazy hungry or something? She used to be more laid back but she is super active and starts swimming and climbing and punching the glass and half-heartily chasing the clown-fish if I don't feed her at least every other day.

Yesterday she got so excited when she saw I was getting food ready that she jumped a few inches out of the water!!!

I have some new pics but just haven't found time to get them off the camera yet. I will try to get them up soon.

Happy Birthday Amber! :flower:

Well, best wishes to you today- hope you're doing something fun, or bought something fun. :wizard: Pretend it's a party hat and a noise maker.

Happy happy birthday! :D

Thank you all! My reply is late because I have been so busy I don't get time to check my own threads :P

Frag swap was awesome :) Met Stu from cold water aquatics, won some door prizes, fish food (the GOOD stuff!) and a subscription to coral mag. Bought a female ruby red for my mandy tank and our club's table is $5 a coral (any coral) so I came home with a bunch of corals for Ivy's future tank. Two different birds nest, a bag of yuma's, purple stylo, sunset monti, purple xenia, and some yellow polyps. Next swap is in a month... I need to bring more bills at only $5 a coral :blink:

awesome!!

Def! I almost pee'd my pants when I saw it come up for sale on the hardware section. I have been wanting a nano-box so bad but didn't quiet have the funds to go all out.

wow, that's fantastic.

!!!! :happydance: Not little frags too... they are like 4x3 inch large branched pieces. :o I was thinking I could just buy out the whole table and have an entire tank of coral.

!!!! :happydance: Not little frags too... they are like 4x3 inch large branched pieces. :o I was thinking I could just buy out the whole table and have an entire tank of coral.

Wow, I'm jealous. Not that I have room but still. I'm going w/ my friends tomorrow to an awesome lfs that has $10 and $20 frags which around here is cheap- it's a full frag plug but not huge like what you just said. I'm going to get some zoas probably.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

$5 for a BAG of yumas!? Now I'm jealous. I can't even find one here, but my LFS will order one for me for $50...ssuuurrreeee. When does the cube get set up?

$5 for a BAG of yumas!? Now I'm jealous. I can't even find one here, but my LFS will order one for me for $50...ssuuurrreeee. When does the cube get set up?

I almost didn't take it because I never had a yuma before but I got talked into it. The stuff is already bagged up so you don't know exactly what you are bringing home in terms of colors but everything is donated from peoples display tanks so you know it's all pretty since people keep nice looking stuff. I admit, they are pretty cool. There was 3 of them and they turned out to be neon green centers with blue/purple.

I believe I will start in exactly 1 month or latest is May 19th is when the cube will arrive. I think the only thing I need is a fuge light and maybe a new skimmer pump. I also am going to probably get uncured live rock from KP or gulfliverock, ect.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I almost didn't take it because I never had a yuma before but I got talked into it. The stuff is already bagged up so you don't know exactly what you are bringing home in terms of colors but everything is donated from peoples display tanks so you know it's all pretty since people keep nice looking stuff. I admit, they are pretty cool. There was 3 of them and they turned out to be neon green centers with blue/purple.

I believe I will start in exactly 1 month or latest is May 19th is when the cube will arrive. I think the only thing I need is a fuge light and maybe a new skimmer pump. I also am going to probably get uncured live rock from KP or gulfliverock, ect.

I <3 yumas :) can't wait to see them! So exited to see your new tank. I've decided to start a 10 gallon biotope with uncured liverock. Can't decide between gulfliverock or KP! So hard to pick! Can't wait to see your cube up!

• 2 weeks later...

I <3 yumas :) can't wait to see them! So exited to see your new tank. I've decided to start a 10 gallon biotope with uncured liverock. Can't decide between gulfliverock or KP! So hard to pick! Can't wait to see your cube up!

ugh I know... I can't decide on KP or gulf either :( The cube gets here next weekend! I am soo excited for a fresh start and looking forward to the cube shape because it is easier to get adequate flow on.

Going to be buying a baby Onyx Clownfish to pair up with my Occy in Ivy's tank. Prob move them to the fuge for awhile though to let the little one grow so Ivy won't think it is a snack!

Here are the parents (and babies). I'm getting 3 different colors of ricordia to try and make a ric garden out of and my new red ruby male with the order too.

Ivy has gotten more aggressive. She is crazy!! I don't know if its a phase.. maybe since she is growing so rapidly she is crazy hungry or something? She used to be more laid back but she is super active and starts swimming and climbing and punching the glass and half-heartily chasing the clown-fish if I don't feed her at least every other day.

Yesterday she got so excited when she saw I was getting food ready that she jumped a few inches out of the water!!!

I have some new pics but just haven't found time to get them off the camera yet. I will try to get them up soon.

Thank you all! My reply is late because I have been so busy I don't get time to check my own threads :P

Late but for what it is worth HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (sorry but work gets the best of me leaving little time for socializing lol) As to aggression you mentioned....... Well, I noticed that with my girl as well. Seems like her appetite doubles since I got her few months back. Daily feeding and picking cuc one by one isn't enough any more. She did some crazy work on my large urchin. Punching an inch hole in her shell and eating it from inside out. I used to feed her with tweezers but lately, I just throw her fav krill in the tank and watch her chase it around the surface. Clown and cardinal tries to get piece of the action but after seeing mantis determination and size, they quickly back down. That aggression worries me a bit. And I wouldn't want to see her go after my fish. But I am afraid that it is just a matter of time........ so perhaps moving fish to another tank is the only logical solution.

Late but for what it is worth HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (sorry but work gets the best of me leaving little time for socializing lol) As to aggression you mentioned....... Well, I noticed that with my girl as well. Seems like her appetite doubles since I got her few months back. Daily feeding and picking cuc one by one isn't enough any more. She did some crazy work on my large urchin. Punching an inch hole in her shell and eating it from inside out. I used to feed her with tweezers but lately, I just throw her fav krill in the tank and watch her chase it around the surface. Clown and cardinal tries to get piece of the action but after seeing mantis determination and size, they quickly back down. That aggression worries me a bit. And I wouldn't want to see her go after my fish. But I am afraid that it is just a matter of time........ so perhaps moving fish to another tank is the only logical solution.

Ya, I am trying to keep her well fed and hoping that keeps her calm. I am planning on 5 fish in the 45g so we'll see how that works out... Some of those would be $50 snacks... :scarry:

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Nice looking parents! Can't wait to see the baby :) How much rock are you going to order? Maybe you could split the order between both places?

Off topic, but do your NPS eat Ova? I wanted to buy an NPS gorg from my LFS, But they said to feed it live phyto.

Nice looking parents! Can't wait to see the baby :) How much rock are you going to order? Maybe you could split the order between both places?

Off topic, but do your NPS eat Ova? I wanted to buy an NPS gorg from my LFS, But they said to feed it live phyto.

I'm not sure, maybe 15-20 lbs and then use the rock I already have for the rest.

I don't use phyto at all. What type of gorg is it? yellow with white polyps? orange/red with red? red with white? Any of those have very large polyps and will easily eat ova, mine will even eat mysis. They also seem to enjoy reef roids.

Yes I second tat the type of gorg depends on what it is capable of eating.

I demand tank update pictures. ;).

I have pics and videos I took weeks ago and I just never get around to uploading them... <_<

MyLiquidBlue29BC

It's red with white. The polyps certainly seem big enough for ova. I'm still looking for a chili coral too.

Post pics! Post pics! Post pics!

Ya, I am trying to keep her well fed and hoping that keeps her calm. I am planning on 5 fish in the 45g so we'll see how that works out... Some of those would be $50 snacks... :scarry:

I would be a bit worry. My girl had some really expensive snacks already. Tail spot blenny and pixy hawk. I would say that you should be ok with larger fish..... given that they are also fast swimmers.

I would be a bit worry. My girl had some really expensive snacks already. Tail spot blenny and pixy hawk. I would say that you should be ok with larger fish..... given that they are also fast swimmers.

Stocking plans are:

1 occy clown + 1 onyx clown

Flame Fin Tang

Coral beauty

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Yellow coris and its nature of hiding in between rocks and sleeping in/near sand bad would make me reconsider that choice if mantis will share this tank.

It's red with white. The polyps certainly seem big enough for ova. I'm still looking for a chili coral too.

Post pics! Post pics! Post pics!

Chili coral is kinda hardy but needs shaded area with subdued light to really open up. I got one which I frag few times that is still doing fine. Frags on the other hand are moved around by mantis girl a lot and aren't doing all that great. I am still hopeful tho.

Archived