inTank Media Baskets

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks you have to get rid of the mantis. Hopefully he goes to a good home! Did someone on tcmas take him?

Yeah, like right away.

You're doing a cold water tank too!? What do you plan on doing? Before I decided I wanted a mantis I was going to do picotope with one of those small chillers, I think they're called icecaps or something, but I've always wanted a Catalina goby lol . I need to become more active on this forum lol.

BRA GFO Is a good price for how much you get, I couldn't imagine running sps without a reactor lol

I won a free tank from micro-reefs and free livestock from coldwater marine aquatics. It is a 12x12 with two ice probes. It is still being built atm.

Yeah, BRS is what I buy. I just like to complain about it. lol

I'd be sad too if I had to say bye but at least it's living w/ someone else and they can probably still let you know how he's doing!

Good call, I'll be sure to bug him!

Do you plan on doing a Catalina goby?

Probably, they look pretty insane colored.

Sculpin, catalina, hulafish is what I am leaning towards.

Here are some pics of what's in the tank right now. I just added 1 piece of live rock that was in Ivy's tank to seed the sand. I also added 6 vials of start up (bottled bacteria) and my 2 clowns. I don't expect to see a cycle.

BAD cell phone pics, and that ugly thermometer is temporary :)

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/453_zps533f09a9.jpg.html'>453_zps533f09a9.jpg

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/451_zps76699f68.jpg.html'>451_zps76699f68.jpg

Nanofreak79

Yay, it's full!

I use phosguard now. I quit using the regular gfo, and have been very pleased with the new media. I use less of the phosguard and it seems to work better for me.

FlowerMama

Very nice, I love watching other people's tanks start up. You just get so happy for the other person.: )

Very nice, I love watching other people's tanks start up. You just get so happy for the other person.: )

!!! My fav threads are always the new ones!

Yay, it's full!

I use phosguard now. I quit using the regular gfo, and have been very pleased with the new media. I use less of the phosguard and it seems to work better for me.

I may check this out if I get sick of running a reactor, always hearing good things about it. Did you use the GFO in a reactor before?

The only bad thing about phosguard is that it leaches aluminum into the water, but not enough to harm anything, I just prefer GFO.

Nanofreak79

Yep, I always ran carbo/gfo together. Now I run both as well. The new larger tank will use two reactors. One for the phosguard and one for carbon.

Nanofreak79
The only bad thing about phosguard is that it leaches aluminum into the water, but not enough to harm anything, I just prefer GFO.

I've read a lot about that. I've had no ill effects since switching. To each there own. Gfo works too.

I haven't heard of orange spots picking at lps or soft corals. They eat SPS though that is their diet. So don't expect birdsnests or acros to survive him.

I haven't heard of orange spots picking at lps or soft corals. They eat SPS though that is their diet. So don't expect birdsnests or acros to survive him.

He won't be in the SPS tank but the owner said he picks at LPS, they don't die but it may keep them from thriving.

Ah well guess he likes to nibble. Cannot blame him though its what they do. They are cool fish I love them, despite all the issues with keeping one alive.

Ordered 17 lbs of the nano gulf live rock and going to soft cycle it in a 20g. I am hoping it will give me some diverse bacteria.

Ivy is in my 20g fuge atm and beating the crap out of snails.

Just added the Tang and Angelfish... the angel just don't give a ####, already exploring and pecking off the rocks. The tang is hiding in Ivy's tube which is no bueno! He better not learn to sleep in there. The coris went in a few days ago. Zoa's just added so they partially closed.

Rock is in a random pile atm, will aquascape when gulfliverock is ready.

Excuse the cell pics. I discovered how lazy I can be uploading directly from my cell instead of using the fancy camera :P

19ebb958-c408-4181-ae39-d2b3ff3c8022_zps

IMG_20140521_134503404_HDR_zpsu5zemo61.j

IMG_20140521_134232319_zpsydg4iuog.jpg

FlowerMama

I bought some velcro strips for my American DJ power strip, is that what you used to get it to stick up on the wall?

I bought some velcro strips for my American DJ power strip, is that what you used to get it to stick up on the wall?

I used some adhesive. It has proven crazy strong so far. Supposedly the whole roll can mount a 110lb object which just seems crazy, I hope no one would try that. Time to mount a floating pico to the wall? lol :eek:

http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/office-supplies/tape-glue-velcro/tape/mounting-tape/loctite-power-grab-mounting-tape/p-1860317-c-7172.htm

FlowerMama

I used some adhesive. It has proven crazy strong so far. Supposedly the whole roll can mount a 110lb object which just seems crazy, I hope no one would try that. Time to mount a floating pico to the wall? lol :eek:

http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/office-supplies/tape-glue-velcro/tape/mounting-tape/loctite-power-grab-mounting-tape/p-1860317-c-7172.htm

Ha! Floating picos, get some dry ice and could look like they were in the clouds!.

I love floating picos. But those generally are using metal cantilever plates.

I suspect the Velcro could hold you to the wall in a large enough capacity. I have seen some stuff that was really hard to get apart.

Sleep is for the dead... At least that is what I told my self in collage.

You already keep a mantis in a glass tank what is one more risk. You are totally no fun. ;)

Archived