ReefCleaners.org

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

Yellow coris and its nature of hiding in between rocks and sleeping in/near sand bad would make me reconsider that choice if mantis will share this tank.

Yah, for sure. It's not the best choice. I just already have one in my 40B so I may just go with it and see what happens. The tang and angelfish also sleep in the rocks at night. I think a lot of it will just depend on Ivy and if she will stay happy with frozen food every other day. The clown she is with now has never EVER used the rocks and I've had that clown for I think 5 years now. She has always slept at the top of the tank so it is hard to say how Ivy will react to something poking around the rocks.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yah, for sure. It's not the best choice. I just already have one in my 40B so I may just go with it and see what happens. The tang and angelfish also sleep in the rocks at night. I think a lot of it will just depend on Ivy and if she will stay happy with frozen food every other day. The clown she is with now has never EVER used the rocks and I've had that clown for I think 5 years now. She has always slept at the top of the tank so it is hard to say how Ivy will react to something poking around the rocks.

Reason I said that was due to my own experience with rock perching fish that kinda share the same nooks and cannies as my killer girl. It makes for really easy pray for her that is for sure. And she didn't pass on that opportunity. I feed her everyday and she occasionally assassins mu cuc. I don't think it was the hunger that made her go after smaller, more vonurable fish but her predatory nature of opportunist. But that behavior varies on individual I guess, since some experience very subdued aggression from their mantis shrimps towards other tankmates. I hope it works out...... and since your tank size might provide quite a bit of space for all to get alone, perhaps you might end up with peaceful oasis. Keeps us posted

Reason I said that was due to my own experience with rock perching fish that kinda share the same nooks and cannies as my killer girl. It makes for really easy pray for her that is for sure. And she didn't pass on that opportunity. I feed her everyday and she occasionally assassins mu cuc. I don't think it was the hunger that made her go after smaller, more vonurable fish but her predatory nature of opportunist. But that behavior varies on individual I guess, since some experience very subdued aggression from their mantis shrimps towards other tankmates. I hope it works out...... and since your tank size might provide quite a bit of space for all to get alone, perhaps you might end up with peaceful oasis. Keeps us posted

I wouldn't say coris is a rock dweller but they do get near the rocks looking for pods and such so its a risk for sure. Something like a chromis would probably be better.

I think it may help to make Ivy a pre-built cave to help keep her out of trouble but I will miss her building her own caves. She spent the last 2 days redoing the tank and making dust clouds. I had a large dead birds-nest skeleton in the tank and she busted it up into small pieces and used those for her building. Made me realize if I left her to build her own caves in a SPS tank she would bust up the live coral too!

She also found a lost rubberband in the tank and laid it out front for me. :P

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Chili coral is kinda hardy but needs shaded area with subdued light to really open up. I got one which I frag few times that is still doing fine. Frags on the other hand are moved around by mantis girl a lot and aren't doing all that great. I am still hopeful tho.

I have a huge rock tower in my tank with great ledges. I'm going to hang it upside down from my biggest ledge. :)

I wouldn't say coris is a rock dweller but they do get near the rocks looking for pods and such so who knows. So far, I have noticed fish generally know to give Ivy a little bubble of space.

I think it may help to make Ivy a pre-built cave to help keep her out of trouble but I will miss her building her own caves. She spent the last 2 days redoing the tank and making dust clouds. I had a large dead birds-nest skeleton in the tank and she busted it up into small pieces and used those for her building. Made me realize if I left her to build her own caves in a SPS tank she would bust up the live coral too!

She also found a lost rubberband in the tank and laid it out front for me. :P

LoL! I'm seriously hoping when I set up my Caribbean tank that a mantis shrimp comes on my rocks!

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to cut my hand bad yesterday and needed 5 stitches. My finger is all sorts of numb on the tip so thinking I maybe cut a nerve? It has slowed the tanks progress :(

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0867_zps79854a81.jpg.html'>DSC_0867_zps79854a81.jpg

So far I have made a top:

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0870_zpsa732871e.jpg.html'>DSC_0870_zpsa732871e.jpg

Some eye candy :)

ib1VbLijSbDOg7.jpg

iELTVegSkSzoP.jpg

Whoa since when have you started maintaining this many nps?? Pretty cool. What do you dose to maintain this kind of tank? Or direct feeds?

Sorry to hear about the finger, sounds like you did slice a nerve connection. Odds are pretty good that it may repair the nerve on its own with time. I have damaged nerves in my hand a few times now. They usually reconnect with time after the cut heals. Though I do have one spot that has permanent damage and always feels tingly/numb.

Whoa since when have you started maintaining this many nps?? Pretty cool. What do you dose to maintain this kind of tank? Or direct feeds?

Target feeding and I dump in some reef-roids sometimes.

Shes looking good!

Look at those colors :)) Awesome

Thanks!!

Can we see the stitches? Glad you're ok but how did it happen?

It's covered in a bandage atm but I will try to get a pic next time I change it. I want to say something awesome like... I fought off a bear attack saving orphaned children.... but unfortunately I got in a fight with a kitchen knife and the knife won. :closedeyes:

Nice top and great pics! Sorry about your finger. :(

Yowza! Ouch. Hope it heals well for ya. What a beauty that mantis is. :wub:

Thank you!!

Sorry to hear about the finger, sounds like you did slice a nerve connection. Odds are pretty good that it may repair the nerve on its own with time. I have damaged nerves in my hand a few times now. They usually reconnect with time after the cut heals. Though I do have one spot that has permanent damage and always feels tingly/numb.

Yeah the feeling is kind of annoying.

Nanofreak79
I managed to cut my hand bad yesterday and needed 5 stitches. My finger is all sorts of numb on the tip so thinking I maybe cut a nerve? It has slowed the tanks progress :(

DSC_0867_zps79854a81.jpg

So far I have made a top:

DSC_0870_zpsa732871e.jpg

Some eye candy :)

ib1VbLijSbDOg7.jpg

iELTVegSkSzoP.jpg

Killer pic of the mantis.....very nice. You get that light started yet?

Killer pic of the mantis.....very nice. You get that light started yet?

Nope not yet. I have been obsessing trying to get the tank ready. Trying to think of a good way to hang the lights, the walls in my apt suck for trying to hang anything.

Nanofreak79

I had the screws on it hanging just in wall anchors. It was super stable and not falling out. If they don't allow that then it's a little more difficult. Excited to see this thing. Oh and you have more patience than me. If I get a package, no matter what I gotta use it, open it, or do something about it. Lol.

I had the screws on it hanging just in wall anchors. It was super stable and not falling out. If they don't allow that then it's a little more difficult. Excited to see this thing. Oh and you have more patience than me. If I get a package, no matter what I gotta use it, open it, or do something about it. Lol.

They don't even allow aquariums. lol! But they never come in and the maintenance guys don't know or say anything because they own multiple property's and each place has its own rules.

I may try the ceiling thing.. I've never done it from the ceiling and mine is so damn tall but it's a lot better option then my walls. It would fall off my walls for sure.

Don't allow aquariums. If they only new if your obsession.

if they came in right now.. they would see 5 of them. :o

Just a bit of FYI you can deform plastic quite easily with a heat gun or other heat source.

I have made recurve bows even by flatting pvc. So if you want something less round its not hard to do.

Archived