Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is she?

Thinks she center of the world. Was sizing up the cat and my husband yesterday. Came right up to the glass. I dared him to put his finger in there but he wanted none of that :P

She has grown some. I hope she doesn't punch the sun coral :o

llama roadkill

Thinks she center of the world. Was sizing up the cat and my husband yesterday. Came right up to the glass. I dared him to put his finger in there but he wanted none of that :P

She has grown some. I hope she doesn't punch the sun coral :o

Lol, it flies off with the polyps extended...

HADOUKEN!

I have a feeling she may punch them tbh.. so I bought small cheap frags. She punches rocks just because thay are in her way. She is going to be such a beast when she gets big.... sooo aggressive!

Used a flashlight to get some pics.. my original light is on my FW tank right now.

Pink sun coral (has pink fleshy base but camera didn't really pick it up.. the polyp is orange though). Idk, got it off diver's den.

pinksun_zps85b60bb1.jpg

Yellow

yellowsun_zps29baf97b.jpg

And ofc Ivy was in my face wondering what I was doing.

ivy_zpse10ece2f.jpg

That mantis is sick.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Whenever I am by the tank now she comes up and puts her whole body on the glass. She loves attention.

So you're going to upgrade in the near future?

Depends what you mean by near, but once she outgrows the tank, yes :) I'm thinking of putting her my current 40B (not with the livestock obviously) and upgrade that tank to something larger and making the 40B a NPS forest with a few colorful fish snacks for ivy.

I was sent her by mistake so she was unplanned free-bee but an awesome one.

This is going to sound weird to some people but I don't think I could not have a peacock mantis shrimp now.

She has the ability to recognize me from other people. When I get home she always comes up and puts her feelers on my finger on the glass. She never postures at me anymore (unless I am holding something scary like a huge black camera!). Meanwhile, she postures the crap and threatens my husband and strangers.

It is like having a pet dog! Sort of :)

This is going to sound weird to some people but I don't think I could not have a peacock mantis shrimp now.

She has the ability to recognize me from other people. When I get home she always comes up and puts her feelers on my finger on the glass. She never postures at me anymore (unless I am holding something scary like a huge black camera!). Meanwhile, she postures the crap and threatens my husband and strangers.

It is like having a pet dog! Sort of :)

I have the same experience with mine. She likes my fiance now and is friendly towards the parrots and the dogs, too. Last time I had a local reefer over to pick up some frags, she went into full show-off mode for them. They were totally captivated by her. Until someone has actually owned a mantis, they will never truly understand the magical creatures that they truly are. I'm going to be really sad when we move to Hawaii and I can't take my babies with me. I have a couple of knowledgeable local saltwater friends who will take her though, so that helps. Hopefully I can get myself an endemic species of mantis over there.

Is it only the peacock that does this (recognizing you)? Also, I think I'd freak out if someone local had to rehome 4 mantis tanks. I'd camp out in their front yard waiting!

Is it only the peacock that does this (recognizing you)?

Lots different species will recognize and interact with you. It's kind of on an individual basis. The O. Scyllarus tend to be more interactive on average, but there are still plenty of aloof peacock mantis out there. My O. Scyllarus is exceedingly curious. If you show her new objects and things (car keys, remote controls, strips of velcro, 3D glasses) she loves to come to the front glass and inspect them.

+1, my peacock is very very curious, my smithii not as much but I am to blame for that as he used to be very curious. I have moved him around to a few different tanks and he does not trust me now. He puts up his dukes when he sees me. I think each one just has their own personality.

• 4 weeks later...

Ivy got some live feeder shrimp today. That was entertainment! One of the shrimp jumped 2 feet out of the tank and another running from the damsels ran right into Ivy's face... and *THWACK*..../munch

Then the fish found one and were chasing it all over and Ivy joins in.. *thwack* miss.. *thwack* miss...

It was exactly like a pin ball machine with the shrimp bouncing off all the walls.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived