Hubby: Are you sure?

Me: Yes

Hubby: *reluctantly* If you say so...

We have only had this clownfish 3 years and now he notices.. :rolleyes::wub::P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, the mantis won't try to eat your fish?

Not so far, they are best friends forever! When I added the clown, the mantis swam up to him and stared at him all curious like for a day and now she is over it.

Was trying to add a sixline but the damn thing came DOA.

Smashers prefer crabs/snails/shrimp and such over fish but its not a guarantee.

No kidding, that's good news. Did it try snapping your fingers off yet?

I don't put them right in front of her.. lol she will threat posture if you get too close.

My clown went to go bite the mantis when it was in the clowns area.. well.. clown swam up.. mantis showed the clown her murder sticks and the clown freaked out and swam away. :)

Damsel sleeps with the mantis though, silly thing.

Lololol I see. You feed it live or dead inverts?

They get silversides and krill soaked in selcon and about once or twice a week they live snails or hermit crabs. I ordered like 4 feeder clams for a treat as well.

Islandoftiki

She sees the giant black camera and goes "OMG WTF IS THAT!". Going to try and leave the camera sitting in front of her tank a few days so she can check it out.

Lol, trying to capture them doing their normal every day wackiness is always a challenge since they see something new, like a camera, and always modify their behavior in response to it. I'll set up the tripod with the camera a couple hours before trying to take pictures so they get used to it. Most spur-of-the-moment pictures involve them being camera shy or threat posturing at the camera. None of my other critters have ever had the brains to be able to tell a camera from a shoe, even if you showed them both at the same time.

Ivy was out and up to some shenanigans!

mantis1_zps56a60f19.jpg

Wait? A camera? RETREAT!

mantis3_zps8967d353.jpg

Oops I accidentally used flash. Angry mantis doesn't like flash!

mantis2_zps40b0996d.jpg

Make sure to get my good side!

mantis4_zpscf643eb0.jpg

I noticed some salt creep so I went to go wipe it off with my finger and.... ONETWOTHREE DEATH! She charged the glass! eee! :)

mantis5_zps0fc96efb.jpg

Lol, nice! Have the lights on next time? :)

Lights? What lights? lol Peacocks are deep water... lights are evil!!

By the way this post made me want to plumb a mantis tank into my new setup or throw a small breed mantis in my Fuge. =O

Doooo ittt! I have my blue one in the fuge. Just make sure to get a shallow water species!

Awesome little girl. She looks so tiny! :)

Yeah! Two inches of FURY! :) Check out post #75 if you didn't see it :)

What? You don't have lights for this tank? :(

Get a single strip Skyye led light!!

Nooo, the only light that reaches the peacocks natural habit is muted blue light. There has been correlation shown between light causing shell rot in peacock mantis shrimps. Some people even limit light from windows.

Light could kill these types of mantises :o

You can get blue light then? The 456nm single strip by inno marine.

Nah, I don't want to take any risk just for my personal gain. Besides, these guys are a lot more active without light. They HATE THE LIGHT! hatehatehate! I can see her pretty well from ambient lighting :)

If I did something, it would just be for taking pics but when I try and put a light over it for pictures.. she just gets mad and hides. lol

I guess one other idea is two blue led's, one on each end, very dim ones though. Like moonlights for viewing.

Nooo, the only light that reaches the peacocks natural habit is muted blue light. There has been correlation shown between light causing shell rot in peacock mantis shrimps. Some people even limit light from windows.

Light could kill these types of mantises :o

according to Dr roy this is not proven but only theorises-BUT better safe the sorry

My little baby girl :)

iHqZ9c3BbKins.jpg

I would love to find one this small! all the one by me are big and 100$+. You'll have her a long time with it being so young!

according to Dr roy this is not proven but only theorises-BUT better safe the sorry

I would love to find one this small! all the one by me are big and 100$+. You'll have her a long time with it being so young!

Yup! I'm just being cautious!

I see. Okay lol. :)

I already have two reef tanks anyways lol This tank is so low maintenance, its nice. Algae can't grow here! I may add a dendro at some point for funsies.

I love this build, the mantis is one of the nicest peacocks i have ever seen, and the scape is really nice, very jealous!

Thanks! I need to get another FTS.. I added 1 more piece of rock which added a big cave to the right side. She loves it. She's built like 8 entrances worth of caves but her fav is to hang out right in front where she can watch everything in the house.

Archived