Coral Vue Hydros

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh, that sounds cool.. My 34 dimensions are 30x18x16 so yeah, lower and a touch longer. sounds nice.

Don't people put height last? Would be same height if so. I wouldn't mind that because I would do a DSB if it is deep enough for it and make a custom stand with the tank sitting lower inside the stand to hide part of the sand bed (if you get what I'm saying).

I wonder if it low iron even makes a difference on tanks this size? I can notice on my 40B and it bothers me. The corals look much brighter/truer from the top then through the glass.

I wonder how these superbrights are? The only downside to something like this is I would have to use an aquaclear (since it is not an AIO) as I don't want to sump this tank. For some reason this one is free shipping but Mr Aqua's have an extra charge.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=CU07057&child=CU07057&utm_source=mdamazoncpc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=mdamazoncpc&utm_content=CU07057

Okay well I will be getting a Marineland RR 45 Gallon Cube + stand/plumbing for free. I would have prefered rimless but someone posted it up and I can't say no to FREE. The catch is is the bottom seam is leaking but there is no cracks/broken glass. I'm thinking it should not be too bad. I have re-sealed most of my tanks since I have a lot of "welfare" tanks in my house lol

I may not move her into her new home until I move into a new apartment next year. I have not decided.

Here is the tank:

P1110277.JPG

493.JPG

I also bought the sump that fits the stand and a blue box MP10 (20g High) for $120 for both.

I already have a eshopps skimmer rated for 150-200gallon I picked up awhile back for $20. Can skimmers be too big or will this work?

Ivy was being naughty today.. she walked up to the front glass and punched it a few times. She has been punching everything today.

Maybe she's wanting your attention for something?

Maybe! She was looking right at me and stopped when I started talking to her (ya I'm weird). She has been really active all over today too. I think she is remodeling. She is hauling arm fulls of sand into her burrow right now.

I set up the camera on a tripod to let her get used to it to see if I can get a film of her. I don't have light over this tank so it won't be the best but we'll see.

omg

Wasp Manitfly... too cool!

waspmantifly_zps7c35e7bb.jpg

Mantidfly_by_melvynyeo.jpg

WRJKBR3KFR70K0N0YQ80FQG0DQG0JQ40WR80VRRQ

5985766443_c2daa0d995_z.jpg

8117574614_b86ac5ebc4_b.jpg

http://www.projectnoah.org/

i know im really late to the party on this but thanks for me never being able to sleep agian knowing that this is a thing... that thing is just full of NOPE...

I just finished your entire thread.. absoltly love Ivy, makes me want to get one of my own for my new build. is it ok to keep them with coral? SPS,LPS, Zoa's? my wife has limited me to one tank...

i know im really late to the party on this but thanks for me never being able to sleep agian knowing that this is a thing... that thing is just full of NOPE...

I just finished your entire thread.. absoltly love Ivy, makes me want to get one of my own for my new build. is it ok to keep them with coral? SPS,LPS, Zoa's? my wife has limited me to one tank...

haha :)

For the most part, they are safe with coral. They may punch it now and again. Ivy did that once to a sun coral I had in her tank. I think she was just curious and punching it to get more information about it because it was new. The coral had a punch dent in it but was just fine.

My smaller smithii mantis I have never seen punch a coral. Ivy has a bit of a trigger finger.

Gonodactylaceus ternatensis can be destructive since they naturally burrow into large SPS colonies but other species should mostly be okay.

One thing is some species of mantis are prone to shell rot which is brought on by bright light and poor water quality. The peacock is one of them. You want to be sure to provide a burrow that is dark (pvc works and can be hidden/decorated to look like rock) although they can make their own too if there is enough materials/sand (they loveee rubble). Water quality is also obviously important, more so if you have a light over the tank.

What size tank are you setting up?

Did you buy it? I just went to take a look for the helluvit and it says sold 6:37. I love your video up there. Like a silent movie. I imagined a western since it's all sand colored and swear I saw tumbleweeds rolling by!

Won't be picking up the 45g till after next week at earliest as the guy will be out of town. I may need to rent a car rack/rail thing as the heater quit working in my parents truck... hmmm..

Did you buy it? I just went to take a look for the helluvit and it says sold 6:37. I love your video up there. Like a silent movie. I imagined a western since it's all sand colored and swear I saw tumbleweeds rolling by!

I did not but I wanted to. My husband would kill me if I set up another tank lol

Thanks! I never thought of it that way but the music is definitely old-timey. I figured it fit the sped up movie :)

haha :)

For the most part, they are safe with coral. They may punch it now and again. Ivy did that once to a sun coral I had in her tank. I think she was just curious and punching it to get more information about it because it was new. The coral had a punch dent in it but was just fine.

My smaller smithii mantis I have never seen punch a coral. Ivy has a bit of a trigger finger.

Gonodactylaceus ternatensis can be destructive since they naturally burrow into large SPS colonies but other species should mostly be okay.

One thing is some species of mantis are prone to shell rot which is brought on by bright light and poor water quality. The peacock is one of them. You want to be sure to provide a burrow that is dark (pvc works and can be hidden/decorated to look like rock) although they can make their own too if there is enough materials/sand (they loveee rubble). Water quality is also obviously important, more so if you have a light over the tank.

What size tank are you setting up?

Setting up a rimless 60 gallon. my water quality has to be perfect ayway to keep my sps so that wont be an issue but the lights will be very bright...

Can skimmers be too big or will this work?

Nah, it should work just fine. I run an SCA-302 on my 40B. :D

LOVE the video! So funny! Congrats on the tank!

Setting up a rimless 60 gallon. my water quality has to be perfect ayway to keep my sps so that wont be an issue but the lights will be very bright...

Just give a peacock a nice dark tunnel then. If you plan on having some very expensive fish then I would probably go with a smaller mantis species although anything will have some risk.

Nah, it should work just fine. I run an SCA-302 on my 40B. :D

LOVE the video! So funny! Congrats on the tank!

Thanks so much! It will be nice. Since Ivy was sent to me as an accident I set a tank up for her that day with leftover stuff I had around and it isn't the best. The stand is two end tables shoved together and prop them up so they were mostly even so theres a space in the middle. It is a little scary lol

Nice score on the free tank, I'd like to get a slightly larger cube myself. Really cool video as well.

Thank you! I'm excited as I have never had a cube before. I think it will be fun to scape :)

Just read the whole thread. I'm in love with Ivy! Makes me want to get one even more!

Thanks so much. A mantis will steal your heart when you get one!

I wish I could show Bane off more but he lives in my fuge which is a total jungle. To feed him I have to push away like 6 inches of dense macro to where he likes to hang out. Hes really happy though, living in the fuge means snails find their way down the pipes and into his clutches regularly.

Okay guys I put this together last minute.. no seriously.... like 30 min ago. My lights were off so you get to see my boring sump :)

There are FIVE people who can participate and 4 of us are here on nano-reef so please vote for us all!!!

Here is my link: http://bit.ly/1dzifTt

I got the 45g cube/stand/sump!!

It is in storage at my parents (about 2.5 hours away) until May :( I don't have a big enough vehicle to get it to my house so my mom is going to bring it up with her car in May. It's a newer "I only drive it in summer" car so she won't bring it until the roads are clear of snow and salt :P

I saw a beautiful mantis for sale with tank and all... but it was gone almost instantly which is a good thing because I would have been tempted....

Here is a little mantis eye candy of her anyways (orange spot mantis):

_MG_2901_zps8e59d50f.jpg

11 days to vote :)

Yeah, what a beauty! :wub: I can see why she was snatched up. One of these days when either Gertie or Geneva dies I'll take out the middle divider and leave it as one bigger tank for a mantis. I'm glad I got these free but I'd sure like one of those pretty gals! Of course then I'd do reinforcement on the bottom too.

Archived