Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

Tank is getting wet, it has about 4 inches of water so far. No leaks yet.

I put it where Ivy's old tank was so she got moved into the kitchen temperately. I had to disassemble her burrows and remove the sand to move it. She is now in a bare bottom since putting the sand back would pollute it. She is angry with me. I wish I could explain the nitrogen cycle to her :P

Just a bit of FYI you can deform plastic quite easily with a heat gun or other heat source.

I have made recurve bows even by flatting pvc. So if you want something less round its not hard to do.

I thought about this but not sure if it will be needed, will be hiding most with it with live rock.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're so brave! I am way too paranoid to ever try resealing a tank. Hope it holds.

ha! Thanks! I have a 10g freshwater I resealed a few years ago, still holding strong and my 20g hex I resealed which was a lot of seams.... neither had problems *crosses fingers*

The 45g is about 60% full of RODI atm.

Its not scary to do after the first time you screw up the courage to reseal a tank or build one from scratch.

But you do occasionally get the panic of leak testing one to find it leaks because you screwed up some where.

I am selling Bane at the next swap. I don't feel I have enough room to give him the attention he deserves as this guy really deserves to be set up in a dedicated tank where he can be enjoyed and get some interaction.

Ivy won't be going anywhere ofc! Her tank is now full of water and running. Waiting on some neoprene to arrive Tuesday to put in the bottom of the tank as a shock absorber. Then will start adding sand/rock.

FlowerMama

I am selling Bane at the next swap. I don't feel I have enough room to give him the attention he deserves as this guy really deserves to be set up in a dedicated tank where he can be enjoyed and get some interaction.

Ivy won't be going anywhere ofc! Her tank is now full of water and running. Waiting on some neoprene to arrive Tuesday to put in the bottom of the tank as a shock absorber. Then will start adding sand/rock.

Oh, that's a cool idea. smart,

Let that tank run with out coral for at least a few weeks. I have noticed they don't seem to like newly sealed tanks. I think there is something in the silicon right after it cures that bothers them. I suspect its the silicon reaching full cure.

lol so I bought a mp10 and it works real nice but then a mp10 wireless came up locally for $125 so I had to buy that too. Now I have 1 extra to resell /doh.

Tank will have sand and some rock in it tomarrow. I will be out of town over the weekend at a frag swap bringing home goodies for this tank (will go in frag tank until ready). I plan to start with easy SPS if those hold color and grow well, I will move onto acro's.

Anyone got any tips for mixing corals? That is... zoa's and LPS like a little dirtier but SPS want clean... hrm. I won't have any softies but def need some zoa's and chalices and such :)

Let that tank run with out coral for at least a few weeks. I have noticed they don't seem to like newly sealed tanks. I think there is something in the silicon right after it cures that bothers them. I suspect its the silicon reaching full cure.

thanks for the heads up.

Odds are you will have some corals who grow slower when you get to a happy medium for the two. Stability is key in a mixed reef, coral are good at adapting to water conditions that are less the optimal, rapid swings are the issue with many species.

Also before I forget I would run some carbon in that tank while its empty too. To soak up any chemicals floating around in the water.

I am up to $205 bucks worth of pre-bought corals at the frag swap this Saturday. I don't know where I am going to put them all. Guess I need to clean out some of the frags in my frag tank to make room.

Nothing too crazy, starting with easy stuff like zoa's and monti's, pocci's, a green slimer, ect. All the acro's are taunting me but I resisted.

I'm going for anything neon colored as I am pretty much setting up a SPS tank for my husband because he is the type who asks why we can't just leave the blue light on 24/7 because "it looks cooler". He wants nothing to do with corals like gorg's because they don't glow :P He is also the one who got the original idea for buying a mantis shrimp.. :wub:

I also have a chance at a Male orangespot filefish for my macro tank (will be 40g's). It has been weaned onto prepared foods and eats pellets/frozen and has been in captivity for 6+ months now. Bad news it is a coral nipper and I have lps/nps in my tank... tough decisions.

FlowerMama

wow, this is exciting! All I can say about SPS is that they did better for me in my Evolve 8 and not so much in my 34 so who knows. It had more full spectrum in the Evolve due to the Par 38 full spectrum bulb, they liked that better for sure.

wow, this is exciting! All I can say about SPS is that they did better for me in my Evolve 8 and not so much in my 34 so who knows. It had more full spectrum in the Evolve due to the Par 38 full spectrum bulb, they liked that better for sure.

The thing I am most scared about is dialing in the dosers correctly and not overdosing or something. Stability!!!

I have a nano-box and ATO T5's for light and 2 MP10's for flow. I think I may do an algae scrubber instead of a fuge because my sump is small.

What kind of dozers do you have? I'm thinking about getting a doser soon as I'm sick of manually dosing and having to be home at a specific time to do so. Tank set up is looking great so far! Can't wait to see it filled!

What kind of dozers do you have? I'm thinking about getting a doser soon as I'm sick of manually dosing and having to be home at a specific time to do so. Tank set up is looking great so far! Can't wait to see it filled!

Sand just got added, waiting for it to clear so I can add some of the live rock I have and two clownfish.

I just got the BRS dosers to use with an Apex.

Speaking of Apex, I tested my heater by plugging it into a normal outlet and set it to 74 but left the apex temp probe in to check the temp. Definitely broken heater, the tank went from 76 to 82 in a few hours and the heater was still on. Means apex saved my tank from frying once already.

How I would love an apex, but is too expensive for me right now, what products do you plan on dosing?

Alk and Ca with the dosers, and manually dose Mg with water changes since that one doesn't get used up as fast. I hope to not need vodka and hoping regular WC's will take care of anything else.

It's like bane knows I plan on selling him. He is being all active crawling around and sitting out front. I even fed him so he is just carrying his food all over. He wants me to regret :(

Banes blue right? The one they accidentally sent you? Poor fella, I hope whoever buys him has a nice big home for him. In my system my alk and mag gets eating up the quickest lol. Mystique is waiting for my approval to kill the damsel

Are you planning on running GFO In a reactor?

Banes blue right? The one they accidentally sent you? Poor fella, I hope whoever buys him has a nice big home for him. In my system my alk and mag gets eating up the quickest lol. Mystique is waiting for my approval to kill the damsel

Are you planning on running GFO In a reactor?

Yah, bane is blue, he sold instantly. Probably due to his color because mantis don't sell very well on the forum I posted. I hope they give him a good home. With the cold water tank coming I had to cut back the # of tanks and I never planned on having 2 mantises so I never had a proper set up for him. Makes me sad to see him go!

Probably, I do have a reactor. I hate how much GFO costs lol

Nanofreak79

That sucks you have to get rid of the mantis. Hopefully he goes to a good home! Did someone on tcmas take him?

You're doing a cold water tank too!? What do you plan on doing? Before I decided I wanted a mantis I was going to do picotope with one of those small chillers, I think they're called icecaps or something, but I've always wanted a Catalina goby lol . I need to become more active on this forum lol.

BRA GFO Is a good price for how much you get, I couldn't imagine running sps without a reactor lol

FlowerMama

I'd be sad too if I had to say bye but at least it's living w/ someone else and they can probably still let you know how he's doing!

Archived