ReefCleaners.org

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

You are making me want a mantis again... I just need to settle on what kind. I kind of want a zebra mantis just not sure I want to deal with that large of a mantis.

Both of yours are so neat.

Thank you!

A zebra would definitely be tricky. Would need a pretty deep DSB and it would pretty much never leave the burrow except when feeding it and would eat any fish. Would be cool to watch it ambush prey though. I could imagine it peering at you all day from its cave :)

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know one guy locally that is no his second peacock. His last one died of old age and was very large when it died.
Some one once told me that there is a zebra locally but I have only heard that once. So I have no idea how true it is. Yeah they would be difficult to keep. But then I am not one to keep normal things or have normal tanks.

Okay here is what's going on right now. I'm leaning towards the aquapod 12g now because it turns out the front and sides are polished glass under the rim :) Nice and clean, no sharp edges.

Here is where I am at so far:

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0720_zpsa27503eb.jpg.html'>DSC_0720_zpsa27503eb.jpg

Chili coral hanging out in Ivy's tank. It was much too large for the 20g hex. This is after I fragged it and its still a biggins! It is rubber banded to a magfloat to keep it upside down as it is much too big to fit under any of my arches. Glass is dirty because Ivy was digging out some new tunnels and made a sand storm.

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0696_zps5b3aad87.jpg.html'>DSC_0696_zps5b3aad87.jpg

This is how Ivy thinks frag corals are supposed to be positioned. lol.. perhaps the chili coral gave her the idea...

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0697_zps4f71d8d4.jpg.html'>DSC_0697_zps4f71d8d4.jpg

That made me laugh when I saw the frag upside down, They gotta stop watching those videos of Betty! Getting too many bright ideas. I think I'll just be sticking w/ a couple mushrooms, gsp and macro.

Islandoftiki

I finally have every last frag glued down in Betty's tank. Of course, no attempted frag molesting in the past couple days. She's molting. I can see her peeking out from a small hole in the rubble pile in front of the entrance.

Well, finally fixed the broken cord on Ivy's light so I got some updated photos. None of her :( She is protesting the light by hiding in her burrow. She'll get over it I'm sure, she protested when I first added it too.

DSC_0762_zpsfff98757.jpg

DSC_0759_zps468560fc.jpg

DSC_0756_zps86d3d4bd.jpg

DSC_0750_zps8c794763.jpg

DSC_0744_zpsb2036c31.jpg

DSC_0732_zpsd03c5fab.jpg

Oh cool, you know what that scene of your tank reminds me of? A cactus desert. I love all the dendros.

thanks! I thought the white rock would bother me but I think it makes the NPS pop more.

There are some lower light sponges you might be able to add to the tank if you want a bit more variety in the things living there. Or some of the NPS seafans/gregorians.

I love some of the extremely deep water stuff that doesn't come up in the hobby. I think you need one of these, really cool but also kind of creepy looking.

or this on the other hand would be spectacular.

There are some lower light sponges you might be able to add to the tank if you want a bit more variety in the things living there. Or some of the NPS seafans/gregorians.

I love some of the extremely deep water stuff that doesn't come up in the hobby. I think you need one of these, really cool but also kind of creepy looking.

or this on the other hand would be spectacular.

I do have two NPS gorgs but their in my other tank atm. That fly trap anenome is god mode.. holy cow!! That's coolest anenome I have seen!

Those nems are very deep water in the Gulf. They actually are one of the few things that kind of freaks me out that I have come across in this hobby. I did read one report from a university doing biological diversity studies in the gulf that fly traps are occasionally caught when dredging at a few hundred meters. So if you knew the right people in the gulf, you might possibly be able to get them.

This site has a lot of really neat stuff. A some of it is NPS due to it living at pretty good depths in the gulf. Though I have never seen the Venus Fly Trap on there. Sadly they only sell to educators (schools, Universities, Collages, ect.), I haven't tried to get anything from them yet. But I probably will eventually. Yay for being friends with biology teachers. :)

I just noticed they have aptasia for sale. :lol:
At 11$ a specimen I could have made a few grand before I crashed the tank that I was having the issue in. omgomgomg

Those nems are very deep water in the Gulf. They actually are one of the few things that kind of freaks me out that I have come across in this hobby. I did read one report from a university doing biological diversity studies in the gulf that fly traps are occasionally caught when dredging at a few hundred meters. So if you knew the right people in the gulf, you might possibly be able to get them.

This site has a lot of really neat stuff. A some of it is NPS due to it living at pretty good depths in the gulf. Though I have never seen the Venus Fly Trap on there. Sadly they only sell to educators (schools, Universities, Collages, ect.), I haven't tried to get anything from them yet. But I probably will eventually. Yay for being friends with biology teachers. :)

I just noticed they have aptasia for sale. :lol:

At 11$ a specimen I could have made a few grand before I crashed the tank that I was having the issue in. omgomgomg

They have some pretty neat things.

I have tons of pink/yellow hitchhiker sponges in my fuge on my 40B but not sure if they would survive? Seems like they benefit from microalgae/fauna/phyto but I'm not sure. The rock just looks way to clean. I guess I will put some rock form my fuge in here and seed the tank with pods/worms, ect.

Every so often I clean out my fuge. Turn of the pump, remove the rock, stir up the debris and do a WC. Bane lives there and I was searching through all the macro looking for him thinking.. where are you I know I heard you a few min ago!

Then out of the corner of my eye front bottom corner in plain view he is just sitting there on the sand bed staring at me like I'm an idiot. lol

The 12g aquapod is up and running with live rock and sand (washed) from my sump. Bane is in there as well and very pissed at me.

The rock has a bunch of turf algae on it since it was fuge rock. I didn't want to peroxide it because it is also 90% covered in sponges and feather dusters. Hopefully I can starve the algae out... I tossed a mexican turbo and some macro in there too. *fingers crossed*

Took out the tiny 250 koralia and put in a monster koralia... its huge but meh.. doesn't bug me too much. I think this will be a frag grow-out tank for awhile. Par38 from chew will be coming soon.

Wow that bioluminescent one was cool but creepy and I think kinda scary to me actually. If it does that I can't help but wonder what else it can do. It's not like it just glows but the light travels like Christmas lights????!!!!

I am absolutely fascinated by bioluminescence I have researched keeping several things, both aquatic and terrestrial, which are capable of doing it. So far I have not actually pulled the trigger and bought anything. I would love to have some stuff capable of it. Leaning toward doing the phyto first, then some of the terrestrial mushrooms, and then if I can find it either jelly fish or a sea fan/pen.

Its a life goal to see Fox Fire in the wild as well as the Blue Tides.

Hope the turbo takes care of the problem with the hair algae.

Nice tank!

DSC_0750_zps8c794763.jpg

Is this thesmallerthebetter's white sun coral?

Thank you!

Yes, it is :)

Whoa. This tank is really awesome!

:wub:

Where you been?

That's so pretty, just white. It's funny every thing is always color, color, color but the white makes it look so delicate.

Yeah, white's actually a really nice color in reef tanks I found. I had these really nice white pipe organs that looked really awesome cuz the white contransted with all the other colors in the tank

Yeah, white's actually a really nice color in reef tanks I found. I had these really nice white pipe organs that looked really awesome cuz the white contransted with all the other colors in the tank

That probably why I like the white polyps on the red gorgonian, so brilliant in response to the blues and purple hues of lights. And why I like the light color cool green of the duncan.

Archived