SaltCritters.com

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

Yeah, what a beauty! :wub: I can see why she was snatched up. One of these days when either Gertie or Geneva dies I'll take out the middle divider and leave it as one bigger tank for a mantis. I'm glad I got these free but I'd sure like one of those pretty gals! Of course then I'd do reinforcement on the bottom too.

You're stuck with mantises for life now :D

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a mantis tank goin in my house(that's quickly turning into a zoo)

Don't give up! It is worth it!

This was my first SW tank back in 07 see if you can see whats in it

I have seen it :D I am following your thread though idk if I posted anything or not. I secretly 'stalk' a lot of threads. lol

Your thread makes me want mangroves :wub: They look so awesome and your tank gives me a 'Zen' feeling. A mantis tank could balance that out with a bit of chaos ;)

I have seen it :D I am following your thread though idk if I posted anything or not. I secretly 'stalk' a lot of threads. lol

Your thread makes me want mangroves :wub: They look so awesome and your tank gives me a 'Zen' feeling. A mantis tank could balance that out with a bit of chaos ;)

I might do just that, Down the road I might convert my black lagoon to a mantis tank. sorry for posting that pic again-I forget where I go posting my stuff :rolleyes:

I might do just that, Down the road I might convert my black lagoon to a mantis tank. sorry for posting that pic again-I forget where I go posting my stuff :rolleyes:

pfft... np :)

How about a small rock pile added somewhere thats pleasing to the eye? That's all a mantis would need to be happy in that tank. If you stick with a small species, then I think the angel would be at little risk. I think Odontodactylus havanensis are as active as peacocks with simular coloring but stay small and they like big sand beds too!

Is that where yours came from? I can't remember!

Yep, all 3 in 35 lbs of rock but all primarily on one rock.- 2 of 'em on one rock kinda half dazed..

Yep, all 3 in 35 lbs of rock but all primarily on one rock.- 2 of 'em on one rock kinda half dazed..

That rock looked awesome. When I set my 45g cube I'll get some from there. I want to do a DSB I think so I need some very LIVE rock. DSB require fine sand though so a bit worried Ivy may make a sand storm burrowing. Will take some thinking/planning but I got till May before I start working on the tank.

My luck it will have like 6 mantis shrimps and I will be scrambling to find them homes. lol

Goldilocks

I ended up naming her Ivy :D I can think a few species of mantis that Goldilocks would be a good name for :o Although she would kick the 3 bear's asses :)

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome thread. Really makes me want a mantis tank now!

Thanks! You need one! We have to spread the mantis love like a plague!

• 4 weeks later...

Amber would you link me to the post where you first took the pictures of the blue mantis as he looks in your signature?

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/329930-20g-fuge-mantis-tank/

I took it down not long after setting it up. I'm actually been working on setting it back up today. The main reason I took it down was not having a 2nd ATO (I don't trust the cheap ones) and Marine Depot fixed that for me!! :D

Which leads me to a question for everyone... should I set up a de-rimmed 5.5g or a de-rimmed 12g aquapod with the AIO part removed (curved front glass like biocubes) ??? 5.5g would be my smithii mantis only and a 12g would be my smithii + 1 fish.

Is a single quality Par38 enough for SPS in a 12g? I want to keep the cost and maintenance low. I have everything I need for either tank except lighting.

You took some fantastic pictures of the little guy. How big is he?

Thanks!! About 3 inches. I think the pictures turned out well because I wasn't using a bunch of blue LED's on that tank. Blue led's always mess up my camera... I really want a t5/led hybrid from nanobox but need to graduate and get a job first :P

De-rimmed my aquapod and my 5.5g so they are both ready to use for whatever. Need to buy some more razorblades to get the excess silicone off. The aquapod is sooo old (my 1st saltwater tank ever)... it looks like it got a facelift!

Any thoughts on what you'll do with it?

Going to use it to test the new ATO system MD sent me... and.... Bane my smithi is going in it so I can actually get to enjoy him :D I'll probably add some SPS to grow out for Ivy's upgrade. Might stick my midas blenny in here until I can re-home him. He makes me angry.

I have a AC70 + media basket I got from tiki for filtration. I just need a light and heater.

You are making me want a mantis again... I just need to settle on what kind. I kind of want a zebra mantis just not sure I want to deal with that large of a mantis.
Both of yours are so neat.

Archived