Cultivated Reef

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

Islandoftiki

Do you have an ATO? If so, have you considered adding kalkwasser to the ATO reservoir? If you don't have too many SPS, that might save you from having to dose at all.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have an ATO? If so, have you considered adding kalkwasser to the ATO reservoir? If you don't have too many SPS, that might save you from having to dose at all.

Thanks for the reminder, I haven't used that product before. I'm not sure what is considered too many SPS but all of my top rock will be colorful sticks. I have 14 frags (not counting frag rack) and room for more.

How long did you test for to figure out how much your tank was using up? Did you test every day?

Islandoftiki

Thanks for the reminder, I haven't used that product before. I'm not sure what is considered too many SPS but all of my top rock will be colorful sticks. I have 14 frags (not counting frag rack) and room for more.

How long did you test for to figure out how much your tank was using up? Did you test every day?

Here's an excellent video about Kalkwasser from Bulk Reef Supply.

When I first started with kalk, I went with a 1 tsp per gallon mixture and monitored my levels over a week. I ramped the amount of kalk/gallon and I ultimately ended up having to go with a fully saturated 2 tsp/gallon mixture. That still wasn't enough for my tank so I have to use a dosing pump for some extra alk, but the kalk pretty much keeps the calcium up to par and the alk dosing pump doesn't have to add much at all.

Nanofreak79

I did the same thing. I used my kalk reactor to make up most of my dosing, and the dosing pump very little, to add the extra make up.

When I first started with kalk, I went with a 1 tsp per gallon mixture and monitored my levels over a week. I ramped the amount of kalk/gallon and I ultimately ended up having to go with a fully saturated 2 tsp/gallon mixture. That still wasn't enough for my tank so I have to use a dosing pump for some extra alk, but the kalk pretty much keeps the calcium up to par and the alk dosing pump doesn't have to add much at all.

I did the same thing. I used my kalk reactor to make up most of my dosing, and the dosing pump very little, to add the extra make up.

Do you guys need to dose Mg at all?

I think I'll pick up some kalk like you said and dose extra alk if needed. Might keep me from having to have a doser for Ca.

Islandoftiki

I don't have to dose mag. I'm surprised you are having to. Your salt mix must be really low on mag.

I don't have to dose mag. I'm surprised you are having to. Your salt mix must be really low on mag.

Yeah, I think that is the problem too. Its Red Sea. Not the Pro kind. I sort of can't wait until I run out.

Nanofreak79

I dosed mag, but not on a regular basis. I have not set up my reactor yet. I'm kinda waiting on the new tank to do that. I did sell my doser though. When I dosed mag it was rare, as I usually do big WC's. Going down to a smaller tank should allow me to hopefully rely on the kalk.

Islandoftiki

You're using the Red Sea non-reef salt? If so, I'd just go buy yourself some new salt. That's your main problem, IMO.

You're using the Red Sea non-reef salt? If so, I'd just go buy yourself some new salt. That's your main problem, IMO.

Was trying it out since I need something low alk previously for the other tank (biopellets). Probably don't now since theres no SPS in there anymore.

You ever used this type of heater? I found a very old post on nano-reef of someone saying you recommended something similar. It's the smallest size controllable heater I have been able to find to fit in the 0.5g.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281028061369

Worried it may get stuck on though so I am also considering a 7.5 watt betta heater but having a hard time finding one small enough. Was going to put it on a timer so it would turn on and off to try and "dial it in" to a acceptable temp.

Not sure about that heater haven't seen one before.
There is some small betta heaters that have built in thermostats to run at 75-77ish. I have one in one of my freshwater picos. I can find you a link if you want.

Not sure about that heater haven't seen one before.

There is some small betta heaters that have built in thermostats to run at 75-77ish. I have one in one of my freshwater picos. I can find you a link if you want.

I thought the small betta ones were always on? Sure thing on the link!

I've used this as well as many others too. This one has a set temp that turns on and off. http://www.amazon.com/Marina-C10-Compact-Heater-10-Watt/dp/B003TLWWOO

There's also a newer line of small neo therms. Not sure if there adjustable/on/off.

Oh nice catch. I think when I first saw that one didn't have the right dimensions and I thought it was too big. Looks like it might fit, if not, amazon will take it back.

Gotta love amazon. Lol

For sure, They refunded a few things without asking me to send it back in. Always a plus.

Tue Jun 24: 76.7: 1.026: 420: 6.7: 1350

Mon Jun 23: 78.6: 1.026: 400: 5.9: 1320

Sun Jun 22: 1.025: 5.7: 1275 (W/C lowered Mg levels)

Sat Jun 21: 77.1 1.024: 380: 5.7: 1305

Slow and steady....

I put soda ash in my ATO since I don't have any kalk yet.

The light for this little tank arrives tomorrow. The cold water tank arrives tomorrow too :o

My hubby said I had to add a "banana for scale"

IMG_20140626_015327177_HDR_zpsa6jfw5o1.j

I blame you but I have been eyeing a betta container at work to convert into a reef.... Dang you I don't nee another pico.

Lol, your husband hangs out on Reddit, doesn't he? Banana for scale. :)

Yeah, There are things/memories I wish I could erase that he showed me. Oops.. yeah he said scale not size...

Archived