inTank Media Baskets

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

No worries, I like clutter. :)

In that case....

Any tips for painting it? I'll probably leave 3 sides viewable and paint the filter end. I have Kyrlon Fusion in black, think that would work? Does it need any prep work to get it to stick well? Any thoughts on keeping tiny SPS and LPS in it with the EcoPico and a 100% WC weekly? I like Acans and Maze Brains.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In that case....

Any tips for painting it? I'll probably leave 3 sides viewable and paint the filter end. I have Kyrlon Fusion in black, think that would work? Does it need any prep work to get it to stick well? Any thoughts on keeping tiny SPS and LPS in it with the EcoPico and a 100% WC weekly? I like Acans and Maze Brains.

The tank is narrow so depends on the LPS and if they are going to sting everything around it. Krylon Fusion should work since it is made for plastic. If you can't get it to stick, then fine sand paper to rough it a little would probably do the job.

You will want to make a splash guard for the eco-pico. It isn't water-proof and you will get condensation. My birdsnest seems to be responding well but only time will tell. I don't think the light will pose a problem for growing anything, other then maybe dimming it.

One of those mini scoly's and micro zoa's would be pretty sweet :lol:

The tank is narrow so depends on the LPS and if they are going to sting everything around it. Krylon Fusion should work since it is made for plastic. If you can't get it to stick, then fine sand paper to rough it a little would probably do the job.

You will want to make a splash guard for the eco-pico. It isn't water-proof and you will get condensation. My birdsnest seems to be responding well but only time will tell. I don't think the light will pose a problem for growing anything, other then maybe dimming it.

One of those mini scoly's and micro zoa's would be pretty sweet :lol:

Did you get the 12k+blue one as well? Think I will do the 12k+blue to start and later add the other blue if I feel the need. Also any idea where to get the fittings to attach to the divider that comes with the tank to run tubing from the pump?

Amber, I forgot I have 2 sizes of golden pearls. Took a picture for you. The larva feed is on the left, it is a powder. The one on the right is 100-200 micron size (I think), they are about the size of rotifers. They stay suspended in the middle of the water column instead of sinking or floating to the top. (but you have to get them wet before throwing them in the tank to prevent the floating.

20140704_161407.jpg

Did you get the 12k+blue one as well? Think I will do the 12k+blue to start and later add the other blue if I feel the need. Also any idea where to get the fittings to attach to the divider that comes with the tank to run tubing from the pump?

I just cut a hole and stuck the nozzle of the pump through and then used some vinyl tubing I had. You can buy it at Menards/Home Depot but its usually in 6 ft or so. I used a $5 Chinese pump and it works great.

I only have the 12k + blue atm.

Amber, I forgot I have 2 sizes of golden pearls. Took a picture for you. The larva feed is on the left, it is a powder. The one on the right is 100-200 micron size (I think), they are about the size of rotifers. They stay suspended in the middle of the water column instead of sinking or floating to the top. (but you have to get them wet before throwing them in the tank to prevent the floating.

Thanks Kat! My gorgs/SPS will probably appreciate them. Right now I only have reef-roids and I want to mix it up a bit.

Have you tried John Maloneys filter feeder formula? He sends a huge jar and it lasts forever. Inside is foods of varying sizes super small microns to big pieces. It feeds every critter in the tank.

Okay I missed Ivy a lot.. and added her. All the fish are on high alert. She is currently destroying hermit crabs and digging in the sand turning the place into a snow globe! <_<

Have you tried John Maloneys filter feeder formula? He sends a huge jar and it lasts forever. Inside is foods of varying sizes super small microns to big pieces. It feeds every critter in the tank.

I tried getting it before and he was out, then I sort of forgot about it. I don't think I see it on his website :(

How long does Johns food last? He gave me a jar and never tried it..its prob like 3 years old. LoL
It lasts me a year plus. I don't feed it all the time, that is probably why.
Nanofreak79

I know we're not talking frozen, but the reef frenzy line is super awesome food. I feed nothing but this now. The fish frenzy is great but the reef frenzy feeds all my inhabitants big and small.

I know we're not talking frozen, but the reef frenzy line is super awesome food. I feed nothing but this now. The fish frenzy is great but the reef frenzy feeds all my inhabitants big and small.

I may have to add that to my list of foods to try. I have so many, going to take me another 10 years to use them all up.

This poor guy got so scared he ran straight up the edge of the glass. lol I took pity on him for trying to hard to live and moved him to the 40B.

IMG_20140704_185855867_zps0o6rwfjv.jpg

Ivy was moving sand into her burrow all day. I guess she wanted some 'carpet'!

As soon as the lights came on, Ivy went back to building. Lots of valleys and dips in the sand where she has been excavating. She is doing a good job trying to bury some mushroom corals. I think her goal is to make the tube and entrances smaller. I used large tubing so she could grow into it. I was fixing a rock at her entrance and she popped her head out which made me nervous but all she did was touch my fingers with her antennules.

She doesn't seem to be interested in the fish and I have two hitchhiker clams which so far she hasn't bothered.

How big is ivy?

I would guess between 4-5 inches.

I just cut a hole and stuck the nozzle of the pump through and then used some vinyl tubing I had. You can buy it at Menards/Home Depot but its usually in 6 ft or so. I used a $5 Chinese pump and it works great.

I only have the 12k + blue atm.

Would you recommend going with a nicer Eheim Compact 300 pump, or would you say the cheap one you got is fine? I'm ordering stuff today.

Would you recommend going with a nicer Eheim Compact 300 pump, or would you say the cheap one you got is fine? I'm ordering stuff today.

Haven't used the eheim one so can't really say. I was trying to do the build as cheap as possible. I guess the one difference that might matter is the eheim is 5w and the chinese is 2.5w.

How big is ivy?

Nvm, she came right up horizontally along the glass and posed for me. 3.5 inches with the measuring tape. She is much more stocky width wise than my smithy was.

This is her 11 months ago being measured the same way. So she has grown about 1.75 inches in a little under a year.

iHqZ9c3BbKins.jpg

lol... I thought I was going to choke on the cherry I was eating... my plate coral HATES life right now.

Islandoftiki

Lol, that poor plate coral. I have some sunset monti that I've been trying to rescue from Betty. She broke the frag free and has been re-arranging it into a different spot every day. Sometimes upside down. Needless to say, it bleached out. Oh well.

Lol, that poor plate coral. I have some sunset monti that I've been trying to rescue from Betty. She broke the frag free and has been re-arranging it into a different spot every day. Sometimes upside down. Needless to say, it bleached out. Oh well.

haha, I am just waiting for Ivy to start "fragging" my SPS. I looked over and found the plate coral upside down on the yellow polyps now. I rescued it and moved it to the 40B, she was terrorizing it all morning. I wanted an elegance and a brain coral in the sandbed but I don't see that going to well!

I missed her crazy antics! Its nice to have a smartphone now too, way easier to try and get quick videos of her goofing around.

Archived