Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On pg 14 of this months Coral Magazine (I shortened it):

Recent studies have revealed that the peacock mantis shrimp's color perception is limited to primary colors. The usefulness of many types of receptors is that colors can be detected more quickly and with less energy than other animals.

The mantis shrimp scans its surroundings, the color is determined by which receptor point is most excited. This is why the shrimps eyes are mounted on separate stalks and can be moved independently. Dark yellow and light orange look identical but it can recognize colors rapidly, which is invaluable advantage to a hunter with ultra-fast catching tools.

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much going on... Ivy so far hasn't bothered the urchin. Thank god as the rock sprouted some nasty turf algae... its like wire and way too tough for the tang/angel to eat. It's growing very slowly though since the GFO doesn't leave much available PO4.

The urchin is eating it but have you ever seen how fast an urchin moves? I wish I had about 3 more of them now.

May have to start spot treating with peroxide but scares me with the SPS in there.

Glad the urchin and ivy are doing well. The urchin is the punk one right.

Yeah he is a punk (and pink) ;)

Pacific East Aquaculture is doing a group order for corals from Reef Gen. One of the things reef gen has is a Beadlet anenome that has adapted to reef temps. They are $20 (plus shipping) but you have to place an order before Tuesday. Figured you might want one for your NPS tank.

https://reefgen.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=244

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/351774-reefgen-preorder/#entry4840740

:o My favorite anemone!!!!!!! I just wish I was fully set up :closedeyes:

They are very hardy. You could probably QT it or maybe PEA would hold your order.

Is your tank not wet yet?

Just noticed you are in Duluth. Are you active on TCMAS?

Somewhat. I sort of lurk the forums and post a little here and there. I went to a meeting last year but wasn't able to make one this year. I do the frag swaps and sorts. I may just become a supporter since thats easier than making the meetings.

We have a club up here in Duluth and Bemidji area has one as well and we sort of combine them and host our own meetings from time to time.

Well some sad news. It looks like my misbar clown passed away. I have had her 4 or 5 years. It looks like she had gill flukes. I have been dealing with this in the other tank and have been using separate equipment/buckets but it is certainly possible it got transferred before I knew I had it in the other tank.

I had been really busy these past 5 days or so and wasn't paying close attention to the fish. Looking back now though.. I don't remember seeing her eat with the other fish.

I treated the tank with some prazipro in hopes it takes care of it before the other fish share the same fate.

Well some sad news. It looks like my misbar clown passed away. I have had her 4 or 5 years. It looks like she had gill flukes. I have been dealing with this in the other tank and have been using separate equipment/buckets but it is certainly possible it got transferred before I knew I had it in the other tank.

I had been really busy these past 5 days or so and wasn't paying close attention to the fish. Looking back now though.. I don't remember seeing her eat with the other fish.

I treated the tank with some prazipro in hopes it takes care of it before the other fish share the same fate.

sorry about your clown, hope the treatment goes well for the other inhabitants.

Tank is looking awesome Tamb! Love all of the corals and how well Ivy is doing with all of the livestock in the tank. I might have to give this a try in the future, an SPS dominated mantis tank! To my luck the mantis would frag all the SPS when its time to close up shop.

Tank is looking awesome Tamb! Love all of the corals and how well Ivy is doing with all of the livestock in the tank. I might have to give this a try in the future, an SPS dominated mantis tank! To my luck the mantis would frag all the SPS when its time to close up shop.

haha.. that is what I was worried about!!

sorry about your clown, hope the treatment goes well for the other inhabitants.

That sucks about your Clown Tamb :(

Oh, sorry about your fish, that is a looong time to have him. You grow so attached. Hard not to be.

Thanks guys. The clown had survived so many disasters that I got over confident and wasn't paying too close attention to her the last few days.

I am a bit nervous because I had to turn off my skimmer and GFO/Carbon reactor to treat with prazipro. It says 5 days and retreat. 10 days without filtration with SPS is a bit scary.

Thanks guys. The clown had survived so many disasters that I got over confident and wasn't paying too close attention to her the last few days.

I am a bit nervous because I had to turn off my skimmer and GFO/Carbon reactor to treat with prazipro. It says 5 days and retreat. 10 days without filtration with SPS is a bit scary.

good luck, that doesn't sound like it is without its risks

Well... I found a new mate for the clown unexpectedly. I had to travel 2.5 hours to pick up some nutramar ova and there was a pecto nearby that is known for having fairly healthy livestock. I stopped in and found.... wouldn't you know it... a onyx clownfish mismarked as a saddleback clown and scored him for $15.

Has to go in the QT for 4-6 weeks though :)

I'm glad you found him.

Thanks :) Felt a little like fate.... onyx clowns are a bit hard to find. I went in there looking for a blenny for the other tank and came home with this guy.

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/IMG_20141006_144628908_zpsvivstaqc.jpg.html'>IMG_20141006_144628908_zpsvivstaqc.jpg

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/IMG_20141006_144635702_zpssslf3hvb.jpg.html'>IMG_20141006_144635702_zpssslf3hvb.jpg

Archived