ReefCleaners.org

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

I know what they can eat, but what do you normally feed you mantis?

Clam on a half shell and silversides soaked in selcon. She also gets live food randomly.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should put the pink mantis in the little betta tank for a little while

She got re-homed. They are kind of messy eaters, doubt a 0.5g would be enough even for a tiny mantis.

What brand of clams do you use? hikari or ocean nutrition?

Hikari

They asked me if I had a puffer fish when I bought them... NOPE! I got something COOLER... a mantis shrimp... ohh yaa B)

Dr.Brain Coral

She got re-homed. They are kind of messy eaters, doubt a 0.5g would be enough even for a tiny mantis.

Hikari

They asked me if I had a puffer fish when I bought them... NOPE! I got something COOLER... a mantis shrimp... ohh yaa B)

Ya thats true.

okay I was looking at the ocean nutrition, how are the hikari? Ivy is much cooler.

Ya thats true.

okay I was looking at the ocean nutrition, how are the hikari? Ivy is much cooler.

Not sure of the difference, I just soak it in selcon.

RFePQm1.png

ivy closed her doors tonight, I always get nervous during a molt.

Okay. Buying my tank tomorrow Tamb :D

Did you get it?

Dr.Brain Coral

I did :) I have a nice image in my head of what the rock work will look like.

I hope ivy does alright with her molt. Im sure she will since shes pretty tough

My skimmer is rated for 150-200g and I can't get consistent skim out of it. Too big I think, hard to get the foam into the cup. I think I am going to have to downgrade. For now I am putting a Tunze skimmer on this tank which is too small but probably better than the big skimmer which only skims sometimes.

I am open to suggestions and experience with skimmers for in a sump. I estimate the water volume around 40 gallons???

I thought about that but the skimmer is so huge that when turned off it floods and submerges my ATO float in the return chamber. :lol:

ATO will still work when the skimmer kicks back on in a few hours. I used to run my ato on a timer where it would only work certain hours of the day. But then I needed the timer for something else so I stole it.

ATO will still work when the skimmer kicks back on in a few hours. I used to run my ato on a timer where it would only work certain hours of the day. But then I needed the timer for something else so I stole it.

I'm going to put kalk in it, I lose a lot of water in a day in the summer. Not sure if dumping a gallon of kalk water in at once would be a good thing.

I also thought about switching the skimmer with my other tank. Maybe take biopellets offline too. decisions decisions

Ivy still hasn't come out but I can see her moving around in the burrow.

Can anyone give me an idea why my birds-nests aren't thriving? They were growing like crazy at first but have stopped and I see some STN.

The few acro's I have and monti's, green slimer, ect all seem fine. Most have started to encrust on the rock. The LPS have all put off new heads.

What gives? :huh:

I'll take some parameter tests to add shortly.

Temp: 78.5

Salinity: 1.026

Calcium: 400

dkH: 7.5

Mg: 1410

NO3: 10 ???

PO4: 0.02

The nitrate may not be accurate at all. I have never been able to read salifert's test kit. The colors look similar to me, maybe my eyes suck. Probably going to see if I can read the wheel on red sea's any better. I can't imagine nitrate being a problem with birdsnest though when there is more sensitive corals in the tank. I would think it would just brown out if Nitrate was too high.

I am thinking it MIGHT be the angelfish. I am just not sure if he was picking which made it STN or if he is picking because it has STN and there is a little bit of microalgae on that spot now. I didn't see him pick at anything else and there juicy acans in there if he wanted to eat coral. So not completely convinced he is the problem :huh:

Just keep an eye on it. Tangs tend to pick at food pretty regularly. So if he is the guy, it should be evident after a while.

Archived