Cultivated Reef

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

Ivy looks very cool. What do guests say when they see her?

She's not the "usual" salty animal you see in fish tanks.

Guests? :(

Some Mormons used to come by as they do and once asked what was in the fish tank in the window. They made a :o face when I told them what it was and what it could see and do. lol

My friends and family know so little about reef animals that everything is unusual to them.

Send me some of your special magic Kat so I can grow these sticks big and lure people over to see the pretty sticks, only to greeted by a mantis shrimp!

Hey tamb! Lots happening here lately. I just got an sca skimmer awhile back to replace my BM that wasn't producing much skim. Not sure if the skimmer I got is all that great. Doesn't seem to pull much unless you clean the cup often.

hm... the BM curve I use works well but I carbon dose so probably any skimmer could work well. Are you having any nutrient issues?

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

It's funny how guests respond to my O. scyllarus. It's either complete and total ambivalence, or they are totally enthralled and can't get enough of her. The latter is the most common reaction. When people experience her interacting with them they immediately feel a connection with her. One of our best friends absolutely loves to feed her when we're on vacation. The last time she watched the tanks, she left a note about Betty saying, "She really likes me!" Well, she likes everyone that shows any interest in her, and especially anyone who gives her food!

Dr.Brain Coral

Tamb I was over on the mantis forum on reef central and I saw Dr.Roy say that smithii being a low intertidal mantis they occasionally leave the water to hunt :blink:

Dr.Brain Coral

Yup he said it when a kid asked if mantis like to carpet surf. He said no but the mantis he was asking about leaves the water haha.

I thought that polyclad flatworm chasing crabs on land video was cool but imagine a mantis

Tamb I was over on the mantis forum on reef central and I saw Dr.Roy say that smithii being a low intertidal mantis they occasionally leave the water to hunt :blink:

Well, that booger loved to climb over the baffles in the fuge and had to climb a few inches out to do it. So I guess that is believable.

No new pics :( I have been out of town for family stuff and just got back last night. I left Ivy with a bunch of live hermits and that seemed to work as I came back to zero live hermits and no missing fish.

My bam bam zoa's are all closed though and seem to be irritated. Dipping them removed a ton of pods but nothing else. Wonder if the pods are irritating them. Need to get a wrasse in this tank I think.

Traded the sixline and picked up a melanurus wrasse. Decided the sixline would probably get bullied and killed. The angelfish and tang have both gotten territorial and they don't like new fish but this wrasse is bigger than them so hopefully it can hold its own. The tang is clearly boss of the tank, not letting anyone feed from the nori until he is done. The wrasse is the last addition to the tank for pod and pest control.

I had to buy a 6line when the gigantic amphipods were eating my beautiful zoas from that company that doesn't exist anymore, you know the one, miami vice, etc. Just a weird thing, other people had their Aquascaper zoas eaten too.

I had to buy a 6line when the gigantic amphipods were eating my beautiful zoas from that company that doesn't exist anymore, you know the one, miami vice, etc. Just a weird thing, other people had their Aquascaper zoas eaten too.

I didn't see many big ones but there was soooo many of the small ones everywhere..... I think they were just irritating them running all over the zoa's (at least I hope that's it). The clowns and blenny never eat anything off the rocks, pretty sure nothing is eating them.

He is out and eating and swimming but tbh probably a little too big for the tank. Perhaps when I move I should think of an upgrade. Ivy is doing so well with the fish, I am gaining confidence having her in a larger reef tank with busy open water swimmers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick video update. Tank is about 3 months old I think and finally stabilized and the small frags I made of the birdsnests have fully recovered. I am finally seeing growth on most of my corals and the two bleached corals are starting to show hints of color again. I am still very slowly ramping up the nano-box (it is at 40%). The two free corals I received brown out are still brown though.

I also accidentally discovered some great mantis shrimp food. Rogger's reef food.

Ingredients: Wild Caught Shrimp, Squid, Octopus, Shucked Fresh Clam and Juice, Mussels, Fresh Pressed Garlic, 100% Pure Fresh Aloe Vera, copepod sp., and Selcon™.

I originally bought it for the fish because it will hold shape for hours while they pick at it. Ivy discovered it and since it holds shape, she can snack on it too!! I figure it has got to have more nutrition than just silversides and clam and it already comes packed in Selcon.

Went to feed the fish... opened the screen about 3 inches and felt a splash of water on my arm. I looked around and there was my midas blenny on the carpet!! He launched himself out so fast I never would have known it if I didn't get wet in the process. I think he's okay though.

Your growth log reminded me of it.

Have you ever seen that time lapse video of the Australian reef growth over a year? Its really crazy how fast it grew.

No, that sounds cool! Do you have a link?

Did an order from KPAquatics for some blue leg hermit snacks for Ivy. I also picked up an urchin and a small red brittle starfish for Ivy's tank. No idea if she is going to try and murder them or not but for $3 I wanted to give it a shot.

The pincushin urchin is a beautiful bright pink so now I'm really hoping she leaves it alone. I have some turf algae that hitchiked on the live rock and its too tough for the tang/angel to eat. Hoping this guy takes care of it.

ibdY0f8cL7a15s.jpg

ipD8b3u6VDgLK.jpg

Archived