Cultivated Reef

ArabTanker's Next Chapter - Photo Dump On Every Page

ArabTanker

It was too far away in the video to really tell. :/

What about the poop? Is that a sign of parasites? The meds for the foxface are coming in tomorrow. Hopefully it will help the tang too. :unsure:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

With the worms coming out now, I hope hell make a full recovery. Any effect on the tank thats obvious from the parazi treatment?

With the worms coming out now, I hope hell make a full recovery. Any effect on the tank thats obvious from the parazi treatment?

Me too.

None so far. As soon as I added it my feather duster went into his tube. Other than that when the lights turned on everything was happy.

Add. note: I dosed the system as if it was 50 gallons. I didn't include the sump volume.

jedimasterben

Holy Hell AT! Do you mind if I show the video to the store when I visit them next? They need to know they sold a really sick fish.

They're not gonna care one bit. They can't stop it from coming in and they more than likely aren't up for the extreme cost of quarantining fish.

Prazi is reef safe other then worms and maybe some inverts...... otherwise it is completely safe as an in tank treatment :)

They're not gonna care one bit. They can't stop it from coming in and they more than likely aren't up for the extreme cost of quarantining fish.

Even if they do care about trying to sell healthy fish, in the end it is the buyers responsibility to qt and protect their tank.... and I am sure thats what they would say even if they didn't care ;) lol

jedimasterben

Reminded me that I haven't Prazi'd my new fish... since the trigger and stuff. Whoops. Dosed some this morning. I really hope that turning the UV sterilizer off doesn't re-#### me with dinos. :unsure:

Reminded me that I haven't Prazi'd my new fish... since the trigger and stuff. Whoops. Dosed some this morning. I really hope that turning the UV sterilizer off doesn't re-#### me with dinos. :unsure:

I don't have my bottle in front of me and don't feel like runing downstairs but don't you only need to turn it off for like a day or two, same with the skimmers and carbon? Its been a while since I've done an intank treatment...

BEnny my LFS cares, you don't know them. :angry: they have an aquaculture facility and they do quarantine. Maybe the source of this fish isn't the best, they need to know that.

BEnny my LFS cares, you don't know them. :angry: they have an aquaculture facility and they do quarantine. Maybe the source of this fish isn't the best, they need to know that.

They must not QT very well, or not everything then... Or my personal favorite, yeah we observed it for a couple days seems fine QT :lol:

jedimasterben

I don't have my bottle in front of me and don't feel like runing downstairs but don't you only need to turn it off for like a day or two, same with the skimmers and carbon? Its been a while since I've done an intank treatment...

The med needs to stay in the water for five to seven days for a full round of treatment, so everything needs to stay off. Well, I'm not actually turning the skimmer off, just removing the outlet pipe, keeping aeration up in this bish :)

What is their 'quarantine' setup like?

They must not QT very well, or not everything then... Or my personal favorite, yeah we observed it for a couple days seems fine QT :lol:

Most stores I've seen that 'quarantine' just hold fish in the back for a few days to let the weak ones die where the public can't see them.

Agreed. I am sure some fish are never in quarantine. But they do care, they will not sell you a fish just because you want to buy it without finding out your tank details and if you know how to care for the fish.

What is their 'quarantine' setup like?

Most stores I've seen that 'quarantine' just hold fish in the back for a few days to let the weak ones die where the public can't see them.

I'll find out when I visit their aquaculture facility.i have been invited but have yet to make the time to visit. And you're right most stores do hold fish in the back for a couple of days. Maybe these guys do that to some shipments. But please don't assume they don't care.
jedimasterben

Agreed. I am sure some fish are never in quarantine. But they do care, they will not sell you a fish just because you want to buy it without finding out your tank details and if you know how to care for the fish.

I'll find out when I visit their aquaculture facility.i have been invited but have yet to make the time to visit. And you're right most stores do hold fish in the back for a couple of days. Maybe these guys do that to some shipments. But please don't assume they don't care.

I'm not saying that they don't care about selling you a fish that you are not going to have the proper setup to take care of, but as far as keeping the fish they sell healthy, well, that costs big bucks. While I'd love it if the stores around here would feed all of their fish LRS instead of just several week old brine shrimp and make sure that each fish was fed properly, dewormed with prazipro, or even kept in a tank with chloroquine phosphate (which actually doesn't cost all that much since the medication doesn't leave the water column unless filtered or exposed to strong light), it would cost them a lot more money to do so, and the days of $18 ruby red dragonets and $20 tangs would be a thing of the past.

I'm not saying that they don't care about selling you a fish that you are not going to have the proper setup to take care of, but as far as keeping the fish they sell healthy, well, that costs big bucks. While I'd love it if the stores around here would feed all of their fish LRS instead of just several week old brine shrimp and make sure that each fish was fed properly, dewormed with prazipro, or even kept in a tank with chloroquine phosphate (which actually doesn't cost all that much since the medication doesn't leave the water column unless filtered or exposed to strong light), it would cost them a lot more money to do so, and the days of $18 ruby red dragonets and $20 tangs would be a thing of the past.

But to many want that cheap deal.... can't win em all :( Hell the cost to do it right is why so many reefers don't even do it themselves even lol

jedimasterben

But to many want that cheap deal.... can't win em all :( Hell the cost to do it right is why so many reefers don't even do it themselves even lol

Yep, and the time involved, and that some fish just don't make it through. The stores can eat that cost, but hobbyists can't really.

Yep, and the time involved, and that some fish just don't make it through. The stores can eat that cost, but hobbyists can't really.

People already complain about the mark-up in this hobby :lol:

Hey AT - from the fish store owner

Thank you for the info. We do dose our system with prazipro every other week. Unfortunately these things do slip through every once in a while. Let him know we apologize for the inconvenience. See you this week.
Pat

Hey AT - from the fish store owner

Thank you for the info. We do dose our system with prazipro every other week. Unfortunately these things do slip through every once in a while. Let him know we apologize for the inconvenience. See you this week.
Pat

Thanks for taking it upon yourself to talk to them for me, Kat. I'm sorry this response is so late. Both fish actually had infections. Ben and I (mostly Ben) decided last week that the Foxface was suffering from some type of internal worm - so I ordered Prazipro. The day before I received the shipment is the day the Kole Tang got really sick. Had the Foxface not been showing symptoms of something going wrong, the Kole Tang wouldn't have survived. So I got really lucky.

Both fish now are happier than ever. Kole Tang is getting more and more comfortable. Foxface's strange behavior has decreased a little. At this point though I'm starting to think is has some kind of mental illness - if thats possible.

In their defense, if they knew the fish weren't healthy I don't think they would sell me the fish. I inquired about a fish there and the associate made it clear I shouldn't buy it. (shout out to my girl Heather, you-da-best).

Hey man, I know we talked about flow making duncans stretch. Heres a video of how much mine are getting

https://flic.kr/p/r1oEG1

Holy shit dude. I was going to post this update tonight:

20150203_203424.jpg

And I was excited about that! Now I just feel like a loser haha.

Holy Hell AT! Do you mind if I show the video to the store when I visit them next? They need to know they sold a really sick fish.

We already blamed it on you last week :).
NorthGaHillbilly

Holy shit dude. I was going to post this update tonight:

20150203_203424.jpg

And I was excited about that! Now I just feel like a loser haha.

LOL, you can keep an acan happy, something I cant do for the life of me, so its a draw. :D

LOL, you can keep an acan happy, something I cant do for the life of me, so its a draw. :D

Acan... happy? You mean the little piece of flesh on the skeleton (top right)? No thats (bottom right) a blasto haha.

NorthGaHillbilly

Acan... happy? You mean the little piece of flesh on the skeleton (top right)? No thats (bottom right) a blasto haha.

I didnt notice the skeleton beside it, debbie downer

Acans hate me to except echinatas

Ditto, Im going to try a rainbow acan lord here soon, I havent tried one in a long while.

Archived