Pod Your Reef

The Zoa and Paly Club

kveekx

buddythelion

Hey guys, im on the edge of buying two led fixtures for my 48x18x12 frag tank. Im going to keeping 70-80% zoas and palys then a mix of everything else. I would just like to hear from some others that going full led is the way to go. Growth is good? And yes, I've been reading on leds for months! Im just being sure before I blow the reefs piggy bank lol.

All my zoas are grown under Kessils. I got no complaints, lol. I don't know about other brands though since. I know radions work since that's what Planet Zoa uses.

--chris--

Thanks buddy.

Im looking at two reef breeders ordered via that groupbuy im looking at $158 shipped w/90 degree optics. Then keeping the light 8" or so over the tank should be pretty close to a good spread right?

I bought one of those fixtures for the tank im building for my dad, and I figured I should check it out over my frag tank tonight. I didn't hang it, but just holding it over my 20 long it was waaaayyyy brighter to my eye than the gu10 bulbs I have over it. I also confirmed two will easily cover my 48x18 frag tank.

Something I did notice was the royal blues of the reefbreeder light produced more vivid colors, while the royal blue of the gu10 bulbs created more of a neon or flourescent color.

• Like 1

IMG_1312Edit_zpsb836a534.jpg

Do you know the names of these ones? I saw these at my LFS and they were very expensive compared to the other zoas for some reason. I like them though.

Do you know the names of these ones? I saw these at my LFS and they were very expensive compared to the other zoas for some reason. I like them though.

They're Ring of Fires.

• Like 1
--chris--

Awesome pattern Tenor. Do you operate like a normal store and get stuff shipped in, or are you lucky and able to cherry pick?

Awesome pattern Tenor. Do you operate like a normal store and get stuff shipped in, or are you lucky and able to cherry pick?

Sorry no store and also I dont work there. Reefing just for fun and it helping me to relax after a long working day.

--chris--

Sorry no store and also I dont work there. Reefing just for fun and it helping me to relax after a long working day.

Sorry to make that leap, didnt meant to accuse you of that. I know how quick the ban's come after suspicions arise...

Incredible stuff in that case! Ive seen less selections in most stores!

slowngreen

Those red hornets were brown 2 weeks ago...didn't even know they were red hornets till just recently!!

IMG_20130430_122351_20130430122630154_zp

Really? Did you get them for a good price? I traded 4 of them a couple weeks ago for an open brain and a good size 40+ colony of other zoas, people want them pretty bad apparently.

--chris--

Really? Did you get them for a good price? I traded 4 of them a couple weeks ago for an open brain and a good size 40+ colony of other zoas, people want them pretty bad apparently.

Really? Shows how much of a difference the area can make. Around here they are $10/pp. One or two guys are the only one who consistantly has them, but i just paid $20 for 2 polyps back in January. I also got the blue, and the puple for $10/pp,

Honestly, it reminded me why im a bigger fan of palys than zoas (and especially micro zoas). To really appreciate a zoa, you either need a macro shot or a good sized colony.

• Like 1
--chris--

Traded some stuff yesterday, i got some new polyps! Im very excited about these, the guy i traded with used to be a a partner on a prominant midwest coral website. He has at least 200+ polyp colors. Some names, some not. And you know me, i like the best bang for my buck...so i got all the un-named stuff he offered :D

CRW_1020CRW_zps3d300137.jpg

CRW_1041CRW_zpsa30d4bb9.jpg

CRW_1040CRW_zps73ab5820.jpg

CRW_1042CRW_zpsae01408b.jpg

CRW_1021CRW_zpsb6272075.jpg

CRW_1030CRW_zps8b17220f.jpg

Here are those under just T5's, AMAZING colors that i unfortunetly lack the skill to accuratly capture. This is close...

CRW_1031CRW_zps780c5560.jpg

• Like 2

I actually got 50 of them that were all brown with a faint pink circle in the middle. The guy I traded with swore up and down they were red hornets so I took those and cash for an mp10. They def look like hornets now? Thanks for looking

--chris--

My favorites from your pick ups are the two lotus eater morphs on the far left. :)

CRW_1031CRW_zps780c5560.jpg

I think i fragged those off, with the 3 big green eaters last night. Hopefully they are open today and ill know for sure.

These guys here, look like they might be turning into a rainbow color. His system is loaded with algae (nutrient dense). In a lower nutrient tank (mine) im hoping some colors start to come out.

CRW_1040CRW_zps73ab5820.jpg

• Like 1

iPhone hates the blue led's but here's my darth mauls and my clementines. I got both of these as tiny single polyp frags for next to nothing and they're really starting to explode!

post-78380-0-49737600-1367808262_thumb.jpg

• Like 1