Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Zoa and Paly Club

kveekx

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm still baffled why some colonies of zoas will be fine and open and thriving one week and then the next week a few of the polyps will close up for no apparent reason for weeks on end to only shrivel to nothingness while the other polyps around them are fine (as well as the other colonies around them are fine).  And if by chance, the closed polyps do end up opening again after several weeks, they are a fraction of their original size and it takes weeks and weeks for them to regain size.  The process then repeats then with a different colony in the tank. I've checked for pests/parasites, monitored the water, and just about everything else you can think of but just don't have a clue why this happens. Does anyone else have this experience?    

On 10/25/2020 at 11:19 AM, SeaFurn said:

I'm still baffled why some colonies of zoas will be fine and open and thriving one week and then the next week a few of the polyps will close up for no apparent reason for weeks on end to only shrivel to nothingness while the other polyps around them are fine (as well as the other colonies around them are fine).  And if by chance, the closed polyps do end up opening again after several weeks, they are a fraction of their original size and it takes weeks and weeks for them to regain size.  The process then repeats then with a different colony in the tank. I've checked for pests/parasites, monitored the water, and just about everything else you can think of but just don't have a clue why this happens. Does anyone else have this experience?    

Yes

Not all zoas come from the same zones in the ocean

Most of mine love very clean water and lots of light

Others obviously come from more turbid areas

Refracting the water where most of mine come from, from WWC, it's 1.023

I try to keep it at 1.026

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So what's the trick in getting single polpys of zoas glued down to a frag plug? Is it even possible? 

For me, it always seems that after a few weeks the polyps come loose.  And actually, it seems that something is eating at the glue itself.  HELP! 

NoOneLikesADryTang
17 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

So what's the trick in getting single polpys of zoas glued down to a frag plug? Is it even possible? 

For me, it always seems that after a few weeks the polyps come loose.  And actually, it seems that something is eating at the glue itself.  HELP! 

I've had much more success when fragging single polyps with frag plugs like these: 

https://www.inlandcorals.com/product-page/small-3-4-onyx-plug

The indentation on the plug itself, lets you fill the hole with super glue (gel), and then gently press your single polyp down. I typically I keep a small container of tank water while fragging, that gets discarded when I'm done. I dip in to tank water quickly after placing the zoa on to the frag, to help the glue start to set, then pull it out while the glue is still pliable, and make sure that the zoa is set well, and make any adjustments that are needed. Once I'm satisfied with how it looks, I'll put it in a lower flow area of the tank for about a week while it heals. I'd say I have a 90%+ success rate by doing this, and it's usually with higher end zoas, that people don't want to pay for more than one polyp at a time (Azz Kraks/LSOH/Kamikaze Kush/Grim Reaper/Koala Eyes/etc.) 

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
PiecesOfTheOcean.com
On 5/17/2021 at 11:44 AM, SeaFurn said:

I usually let the polyp grow onto a disk and then cut the disk with a bone cutter or band saw. Key is to keep part of the hard substrate with the flesh, and apply glue to the hard substrate. Made this video a while ago, worth a look: 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 8:01 PM, Reefgrief said:

Any chance of some zoa ids?

79130E95-B2B2-4AD9-9A2E-813A0C602EAB.jpeg

633DD0DA-02B8-4D1B-81C0-1E86B9021ADD.jpeg

EB3F0C61-1CC3-4317-B79F-04C4E14B4C69.jpeg

5554C561-9A62-47E5-BDC4-CFC91E1F73B7.jpeg

Top is I have no idea. Second is I beleive frozen apple pally. I think the third is hawian people eaters.

Last ones probably fire and ice zoas or something close like a simmilar morph.

• Like 1

Iluminati (sory for the blues no filter) this picture of them as a new colony some were still closed.

Speckled fire and ice new colony shortly after adding it with a scrambled egg peeking out below it.

Spawning pallythoa grandis.

...do snake polyps count as zoas they are a close relitive.

20211020_213314.jpg

20211024_094926.jpg

20211127_182045.jpg

20210921_131207.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Iluminati (sory for the blues no filter) this picture of them as a new colony some were still closed.

Speckled fire and ice new colony shortly after adding it with a scrambled egg peeking out below it.

Spawning pallyotha grandis.

...do snake polyps count as zoas they are a close relitive.

20211020_213314.jpg

20211024_094926.jpg

20211127_182045.jpg

20210921_131207.jpg

That spawning-grandis shot is very beautiful. Great capture! 😊

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Clownfish king

I’m newer to Zoas and palys, for some reason I always have trouble with them. Ive had this Palythoa Grandis for a few weeks now and he seems to be doing well. (Sorry about the really blue lighting. It comes off that way on camera but isn’t really that bad irl. Orange filters are also expensive.)

E92983F5-79BB-47CE-AFA0-A446A62009B0.jpeg

• Like 1