Top Shelf Aquatics

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

I had to frag up my red planet today. It was encrusting really well for the last couple of months, but decided to start RTN slowly from the extremities for the past week. I hope I've stopped it. PE and color are good on it, so I am not sure what is going on. Nothing has changed lately and all other acros are going great. Very Weird.

That's no bueno... Sorry to hear.

I think I saved it, but at the cost of fragging all the branches off the plug. I think I let my nitrates get up too high and the coral did not respond well to it. The overall look at the coral was "spiky" with the tissue looking sorta sunken is the best way I can describe it. Did a water change and plan on doing weekly 5g changes for the next month to see if it improves (I normally do bi-weekly 5g changes).

Reefmaster1996

Yeah I do 4 gallons weekly on my 20 long reef because I only run a hob filter and skimmer . But I get free RODI water from work so that helps.

Yeah I do 4 gallons weekly on my 20 long reef because I only run a hob filter and skimmer . But I get free RODI water from work so that helps.

I can't use my RO/DI filter anymore due to apartment restrictions. I have to buy it from the LFS, but I mix my own saltwater at home because I don't trust the LFS to make it right or use good salt.

What's the haps here? News on the corals?

I think everything is back to normal. The RP stopped RTN'ing after fragging and the tissue is puffy again. PE is good, so I hope it will go back to crazy encrusting mode like before. Other than that, everything is in grow mode. How are your corals Brian?

Lol & I bought a brs rodi 5 stage because I don't trust my LFS to make pure rodi... Lol

Me too, had too.....because.....

Yeah I mix my own water for the same reason (I use Red Sea coral pro salt), and I'm getting a brs Chlormaine's 5 stage system as well.

.. my lfs is ok with 12 tds water. i faught diatoms and nothing would take care of it until i tested the water.... baught a ro unit.

Why not? You cant just hide it under the sink?

or buy a faucet adapter for both feed and waste lines. then stick the thing anywhere you want when not in use.

Reefmaster1996

Me too, had too.....because.....

.. my lfs is ok with 12 tds water. i faught diatoms and nothing would take care of it until i tested the water.... baught a ro unit.

or buy a faucet adapter for both feed and waste lines. then stick the thing anywhere you want when not in use.

True I would use the faucet adapter.

Why not? You cant just hide it under the sink?

I cannot use a faucet adaptor because the aerators either do not come off or are weird and do not have threading. I am not really sure how I would change the plumbing under the sink to attach my RO/DI system either.

If the ro/di has 0 tds then it does not really matter...

I'm pretty sure the water they make is actually only RO. It comes in with .4 phosphate on average so it probably has some TDS. I am going to try and hook up my RODI under a sink instead of selling it.

You should only need to drill your waste line into a drain to install it. Most kits come with an adapter for the feed and waste. It should take all of 10 min to install.