Pod Your Reef

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Pmed ya Matt... Those clowns are looking awesome are they playing in the nems yet?

They showed no interest until I put the RBTA in. Now the male likes the RBTA and the female likes the GBTA. I have plans to remove the GBTA and it's smaller clone sooner or later.

Looking great! Glad to hear everything is under control!

Thanks Brian. I hope everything is getting under control. I don't want to lose and more frags or colonies.

Something weird happened yesterday. I was at the LFS and my fiance told me to SET UP A NEW TANK so that I could buy a little red angler that they just got in. I think hell hath frozen over. I really can't deal with two setups right now, let alone figure out how to feed an angler that is the size of a nickel.

Reefmaster1996

I would go with it, it's a great excuse to get a new tank, anglerfish don't require much maintenance as they would most likely be housed in a refugium style tank. With little to no corals. They're also pretty cool fish. If my parents told me to set up more tanks, I would bounce right on it.

Plus sounds like a keeper to me lol.

Oh and he'll probably eat ghost shrimp and they are easy to train onto Mysis.

I'm selling my biopellet reactor in case anyone is interested http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/320795-jns-alpha-1-biopellet-reactor/

I would go with it, it's a great excuse to get a new tank, anglerfish don't require much maintenance as they would most likely be housed in a refugium style tank. With little to no corals. They're also pretty cool fish. If my parents told me to set up more tanks, I would bounce right on it.

Plus sounds like a keeper to me lol.

Oh and he'll probably eat ghost shrimp and they are easy to train onto Mysis.

I would probably do some kind of macro tank- very low maintenance if I did. I've always wanted one, but I just don't think I can get a good supply of food for it. I am not sure if I can get ghost shrimp locally. This thing is tiny btw. I'm not even sure it would get a shrimp.

I volunteer to keep the tank at my house for you.

lol. I bet you would :P

gosh why cant my reef look so clean...

My tank is a temple :D

Beautiful tank!

Thanks!

I had to frag parts off my 3 year old hawkins echinata colony in this morning. A couple of main branches started to RTN. I don't know what is going on in this tank... I am checking all SPS for pests and test like crazy. I don't see any signs of AEFW or RB, but who knows. Something I am considering is that I have noticed a couple rather large amphipods crawling around in the branches of a couple SPS at night. I wonder if this is related to anything? I will update as this progresses.

SouthFlorida_Tron

random alk swing perhaps? just guessing. sucks to hear... my stylo has slowly had random patches of rtn and no other coral whatsoever is having issues.... weird stuff happens...

Reefmaster1996

That's the beauty of this hobby, we get to run our own little lab experiments and eventually learn form our mistakes. I have large amphipods and my Sps frags are fine aside form one that's rtning for a reason unknown to me at he moment. Hope you figure this out soon.

random alk swing perhaps? just guessing. sucks to hear... my stylo has slowly had random patches of rtn and no other coral whatsoever is having issues.... weird stuff happens...

Maybe? I have my dosers set up so I have the same amount of 2-part going into the tank at the same times every day. It is possible though.

That's the beauty of this hobby, we get to run our own little lab experiments and eventually learn form our mistakes. I have large amphipods and my Sps frags are fine aside form one that's rtning for a reason unknown to me at he moment. Hope you figure this out soon.

I hope so too. It must be some param that is off. The thing is that even on the pieces that are RTN (red planet and hawkins), color and PE is good. Very odd. I hope this is stops at this and does not cause anything else to start to lose tissue.

Tests as of today:

Phos-.00

Nitrates-.00

Ca-400

Alk-9.0

ph- 8.0

I think the biopellets and the gfo were stripping the water and making it too clean. With the biopellets offline, I am hoping things will rebound and stop RTN'ing. We will see where this goes.

So ecotech just released the upgrade path for radion gen one to pro for 300 bills, you jumping on it?

Not worth it IMO. I'll save my 300 dollars until they make the upgrade cheaper or worth the extra money. I might be very skewed in my thoughts on Ecotech though; I love their products but I really am disappointed with their version of what "modular" is. I thought it meant I buy new light pucks or other accessories online and install it myself at a relatively cheap price. Instead, Ecotech wants me to pay them a third of what I paid originally to add some "sorta UV" bulbs AND I have to send it to them. My gen1 works just fine and I will keep it the way it is until they make it cheaper to upgrade.

• Like 1

I think the biopellets and the gfo were stripping the water and making it too clean. With the biopellets offline, I am hoping things will rebound and stop RTN'ing. We will see where this goes.

I'm pretty sure this is the problem. I would not run both together. They both work to remove PO4. I would keep one or the other and just regulate flow/quantity accordingly on the "one" to balance your system. Hope things turn around fast for you. RTN=SUCKS :(

I'm pretty sure this is the problem. I would not run both together. They both work to remove PO4. I would keep one or the other and just regulate flow/quantity accordingly to balance your system. Hope things turn around fast for you. RTN=SUCKS :(

I ran them both in my 60g with no problem. I thought that because I fed what I considered to be heavy, it would all balance out. Guess not. I've since taken the biopellets offline. If anyone wants to buy a biopellet reactor and pellets, let me know :)

I ran them both in my 60g with no problem. I thought that because I fed what I considered to be heavy, it would all balance out. Guess not. I've since taken the biopellets offline. If anyone wants to buy a biopellet reactor and pellets, let me know :)

LOL, I see a trend of unhappy people when it comes to bio-pellets, I ditched mine a few months ago now and couldn't be happier. I know they can be run successfully on a tank it just seems people (including me) can never find the balance with them. I can't explain the dynamics of what they remove but I can tell you they are effective nonetheless. Biologically, I don't think they are suitable for SPS system, can't tell you why, just what I feel.

You may want to feed a little now, don't go overboard but you have to get some PO4 and nutrients back in the system. If you don't you will continue to see RTN. Some AA would also help.

LOL, I see a trend of unhappy people when it comes to bio-pellets, I ditched mine a few months ago now and couldn't be happier. I know they can be run successfully on a tank it just seems people (including me) can never find the balance with them. I can't explain the dynamics of what they remove but I can tell you they are effective nonetheless. Biologically, I don't think they are suitable for SPS system, can't tell you why, just what I feel.

You may want to feed a little now, don't go overboard but you have to get some PO4 and nutrients back in the system. If you don't you will continue to see RTN. Some AA would also help.

Ya, I feed a cube of mysis or brine a day (half in the morning and half in the afternoon) and one blister of frozen oyster eggs every week. I might up the oyster eggs a little bit to help get things back to normal.

I am have the same problem with RTN. I stop running GFO, I'm hoping that well help. PO4 was 0.00

Just goes to show you that things can go south really quickly.

Sorry to hear about the RTN issues. Have you replaced GFO recently and did you use more than usual by chance? Were you getting any clumping with the biopellets?