inTank Media Baskets

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

RTN blows. STN blows.

Pellets didnt work from day 1 for me, but my buddys 180 they work amazing on. Best color and growth i have ever seen in person.

I think I may have put too much in it and once they kicked in, it really went to town. It works, but you really have to watch it. I think too many people think they are plug and play and walk away. I think I will stay with my GFO for now. Both seems like overkill.

That guy with the 180 did the same thing, lost a few sps he said because of the mass die off algae causing a ammonia spike. He added too much up front, got lucky and only bleached some stuff and lost a few.

I had a similar problem when I ran my GFO reactor. I think it completely stripped my system of po4, too fast. Since my tank was already low nutrient, I think it had an adverse effect.

Matt - you know I am always up for some swapping.

Agree on the bio pellets. Took mine down 2 weeks ago.

Ya, I think it is for the best. The two frags of my red planet colony have stopped RTN'ing as well as the hawkins colony. They look like crap, but are starting to encrust again. I think I will stick to GFO and water changes from now on.

I had a similar problem when I ran my GFO reactor. I think it completely stripped my system of po4, too fast. Since my tank was already low nutrient, I think it had an adverse effect.

Ya, I have always had good results with only GFO. I thought I had an understanding with the pellets after a year of use, but I guess they kicked into overdrive or something.

I guess I am not out of the woods yet :( I woke up to find my new pearlberry frag RTN'ing. I hope the rescue frags make it. It was doing so well, encrusting and showing signs of branching all over too. I guess I will have to make another SPS order once my tank calms down. I think that changing my GFO on Tuesday may have shocked it.

Ohhh No!! Hope it bounces back. I uped my gfo and carbon a bit last sat before I left for vail... Hopefully the tank is looking good when I get home. The gf said all looks normal. Used 4 1/2 tablespoons of carbon and 3 tablespoons of gfo. So gfo was more from 4 teaspoons

Ohhh No!! Hope it bounces back. I uped my gfo and carbon a bit last sat before I left for vail... Hopefully the tank is looking good when I get home. The gf said all looks normal. Used 4 1/2 tablespoons of carbon and 3 tablespoons of gfo. So gfo was more from 4 teaspoons

Ya, I may have added more than I should have... about half a cup... I have always used this much though. I am not sure why I am having so many problems lately.

Very nice set up. Sorry about the luck recently.

What is your glass thickness?

Please pardon me if I missed it in the thread.

I don't think I ever posted it. I believe it is 1/4'', but let me check when I get home to make sure.

I've gone through this too. It's really hard to pinpoint the cause, but I suspect a biological imbalance.

I think the best you can do is just ride it out, don't make any sudden changes. Things should balance itself out sooner or later.

And, a good water change does help too. :)

• Like 2

I say do a partial WC and feed the tank really well. Trace elements and unhealthy low nutrients are the most common causes of RTN IMO.

I was thinking about that, but I worry about shocking things again.

I've gone through this too. It's really hard to pinpoint the cause, but I suspect a biological imbalance.

I think the best you can do is just ride it out, don't make any sudden changes. Things should balance itself out sooner or later.

And, a good water change does help too. :)

I thought things were good when my red planet started to encrust again, but then this. I think I am going to not change any water or media for a month now and see what happens.

Sorry to hear about the R/STN, but beautiful job on the tank.

Thanks. Most of the SPS are doing well. It is only some of my favorites that have had problems.

+1 Hang in there ark.

How is it going Matt? Hoping to hear some good news...

The good news is the rescue frags of pearlberry seem to have stabilized. I have two frags now, so if they survive long term and start to encrust again I will have a frag for someone :)

Hello. My name is someone...

Oh - and can you post your radion setup?

If both survives, you can have dibs on whichever I choose to get rid of :) The good news is my Red Planet rescue frags are starting to encrust and the pearlberry frags have stopped RTN, so that is good. Tank is noticeably dirtier with more diatoms on the sand, but phos and nitrates are still low. I think it is starting to find some balance again.

I will see about taking a screenshot of my radion schedule when I get the time. I have been busy working on a publication and getting ready to advance to phd candidacy. Don't these people know I have a reef to run? haha

• Like 1

Ive got my eye on Vivids Ultra Pink Mille, and a Tri-color Acro. But other than that, pretty much any nice looking acro.

Good choices.

Man o man.....I visited Vivid for an hour while I was in LA last month. Now I'm so glad I have to order on line. Kinda like a gambler living in Las Vegas......

• Like 1

Man o man.....I visited Vivid for an hour while I was in LA last month. Now I'm so glad I have to order on line. Kinda like a gambler living in Las Vegas......

Ya, it is dangerous to live so close to Vivid. I could easily go in there and drop 500 on some SPS.

• Like 2