Coral Vue Hydros

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Say goodbye to any deposit you might have. Something to think about when modifying things in an apartment. Unless you reinstall the OEM pipes and fittings when all said and done, careful what you permanently modify.

You should only need to drill your waste line into a drain to install it. Most kits come with an adapter for the feed and waste. It should take all of 10 min to install.

Yep, under the sink just requires specail fittings. BRS, Lowe's or HD should have them.

I think you guys are referring to saddle valves. I have a few on hand i could mail OP if he cant source one. They are permanent and peirce the copper pipes, just an FYI.

Say goodbye to any deposit you might have. Something to think about when modifying things in an apartment. Unless you reinstall the OEM pipes and fittings when all said and done, careful what you permanently modify.

^^^ Like he said, its permanent and if they see it they will want to take some of your deposit (not all unless your deposit was some ridiculous amount). However, being a landlord...i can tell you i have never inspected the plumbing of a unit unless something wasnt working when they left. If i seen a saddle valve, i wouldn't even care. They see much worse, and deal with much worse...one saddle valve isnt even worth getting upset about.

Its probably nothing to worry about, and you could repair it yourself if you were really worried about it. I would not let it stop me from making water.

Also, the drain line doesn't have to be a fitting (i.e. no permanent modification needed). You could simply run it to your sink/tub/toilet for the few hours you will be running it occasionally. Just buy 50' of tubing. I have mine run about 35' to my sump pit.

And finally, id be pretty surprised if you couldnt more easily change the faucet to one that accepts a threaded adapter...versus modifying some plumbing.

Got it... That's a bummer.

I figured out how to hook it up without changing in the plumbing. There is an adaptor that hooks up to the faucet plumbing under the sink that I figured out how to use. I have RO/DI again!

You should only need to drill your waste line into a drain to install it. Most kits come with an adapter for the feed and waste. It should take all of 10 min to install.

I am going to stick the waist line down the drain when I am using it.

Yep, under the sink just requires specail fittings. BRS, Lowe's or HD should have them.

I figured it out. Thanks!

That's what I thought, but I have it hooked up without drilling or anything.

^^^ Like he said, its permanent and if they see it they will want to take some of your deposit (not all unless your deposit was some ridiculous amount). However, being a landlord...i can tell you i have never inspected the plumbing of a unit unless something wasnt working when they left. If i seen a saddle valve, i wouldn't even care. They see much worse, and deal with much worse...one saddle valve isnt even worth getting upset about.

Its probably nothing to worry about, and you could repair it yourself if you were really worried about it. I would not let it stop me from making water.

Also, the drain line doesn't have to be a fitting (i.e. no permanent modification needed). You could simply run it to your sink/tub/toilet for the few hours you will be running it occasionally. Just buy 50' of tubing. I have mine run about 35' to my sump pit.

And finally, id be pretty surprised if you couldnt more easily change the faucet to one that accepts a threaded adapter...versus modifying some plumbing.

Great ideas. After reading your post and seeing what everyone else said, I did a little reading and youtube watching and figured out how to set it up with only using an under faucet adaptor that came with the system. Thanks for your comments!

Glad i could finally help someone here lol. Seems its been going the other way for awhile.

Haha, ya. Part of it is that I am lazy, but I am glad this conversation finally got me motivated to check it out. Making some RODI right now :)

Hey Matt, I forget, do you have a TDS meter? I'm curious to test my RO water, getting signs of cyano out of nowhere.

I don't have a TDS meter. I will probably order one when I do my next BRS order though.

I had a problem with cyano, just upgraded my RODI to the BRS chloramine setup. After a 25% WC, I have already seen a VAST improvement of cyano. Before this upgrade I was running standard 25% water changes and seeing an increase in cyano, abeit my tds meter off the RODI was reading 0 at all times. From what I understand only charged species read on a TDS meter.

Glad you got the rodi worked out, your tank will be much happier because of it! Also I had an incident where my waste line came out of my drain before I had hooked it up permenantly. I'd reccomend you tape a good weight on the end of tha drain line so you don't have a similar experiance

Glad you got the rodi worked out, your tank will be much happier because of it! Also I had an incident where my waste line came out of my drain before I had hooked it up permenantly. I'd reccomend you tape a good weight on the end of tha drain line so you don't have a similar experiance

This can be a problem (ive had this happen). I bought these at Harbor Frieght, problem gone.

image_20280.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/clamps/6-piece-78-spring-clamp-set-69375.html

I used to clamp them onto my faucet pointing down, doubling up for shits and giggles. They are also nice to use for temporary routing of the waste lines.

I had a problem with cyano, just upgraded my RODI to the BRS chloramine setup. After a 25% WC, I have already seen a VAST improvement of cyano. Before this upgrade I was running standard 25% water changes and seeing an increase in cyano, abeit my tds meter off the RODI was reading 0 at all times. From what I understand only charged species read on a TDS meter.

I loved having the ability to make my own RODI when I had my 60cube up. I'm glad I finally got around to getting this thing going.

Tanks looking mighty fine :)

Thanks!

I am much happier!

This can be a problem (ive had this happen). I bought these at Harbor Frieght, problem gone.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/clamps/6-piece-78-spring-clamp-set-69375.html

I used to clamp them onto my faucet pointing down, doubling up for shits and giggles. They are also nice to use for temporary routing of the waste lines.

Definitely something I will look into.

Finally have my old RODI system back up and running! I will be sticking to a strict 5g/week wc schedule too see how things improve. I am very sure that it is my nitrates, as my phos is always around .03-.07 (hannah meter) which I am ok with. My nitrates were at about 15-20 (hannah) which is unacceptable and I paid for it with my Red Planet.

What happened with the RP? IME (someone else's tank though) RP didnt seem to care about nitrates. His tank was 80+ No3 and it was growing and had the typical awesome RP color.

What happened with the RP? IME (someone else's tank though) RP didnt seem to care about nitrates. His tank was 80+ No3 and it was growing and had the typical awesome RP color.

I've had this mini colony for about 4 months. It has always had great PE and color and was encrusting like crazy. Two weeks ago I noticed it had started to RTN very slowly from the extremities. At first I thought it was just parts that were not getting light and were just drying... but then it continued towards my branches. I fragged all of the branches off the plug and I have saved them it seems. I lost around 5 square inches of encrusted space though. I am not sure if it was related to slightly high nitrates (for an SPS tank) or was another issue altogether.

Weird, and that sucks.

I have only lost a few corals in my years of keeping this stuff...all of them my fault. It would drive me nuts to lose something like that and not be able to place the blame on something.

I too have been fighting high nitrates, at the worst it was at 25ppm and no matter what I did with water changes it still stayed high. My sps looks very crappy, but is started to bounce back after a 10gal change and addition of chaeto I got my nitrates back down to 10 ppm. Its nice when you own your own unit, it allows you to control the water. I feel the LFS water is just a mystery, you dont know when the DI was last changed, if they properly flush the membrane everytime ect.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Brs left out the parts bag that connects all my lines together, and the most important... The one that connects to the storage tank hahaha

"They corrected this via priority"

I plan on doing a photo update this weekend sometime. I have been busy helping to organize a conference on the archaeology of food and warfare while crunching some data for a paper I am writing so I can advance to ph.d candidacy.

Weird, and that sucks.

I have only lost a few corals in my years of keeping this stuff...all of them my fault. It would drive me nuts to lose something like that and not be able to place the blame on something.

Ya... it does suck. Someone suggested it was maybe a chemical fighting issue between my RBTA and GBTA nems. Maybe?

I too have been fighting high nitrates, at the worst it was at 25ppm and no matter what I did with water changes it still stayed high. My sps looks very crappy, but is started to bounce back after a 10gal change and addition of chaeto I got my nitrates back down to 10 ppm. Its nice when you own your own unit, it allows you to control the water. I feel the LFS water is just a mystery, you dont know when the DI was last changed, if they properly flush the membrane everytime ect.

I can't use my RODI at home all the time or my landlord will complain (he pays the water lol), but 10 or 20g of water for top off and a couple water changes a month will go a long way I think.

Brs left out the parts bag that connects all my lines together, and the most important... The one that connects to the storage tank hahaha

"They corrected this via priority"

LOL. That's one thing about BRS; their service is great. I lost the back to one of my BRS dower pumps and they sent me a replacement in my latest order free of charge. When I called them and asked about getting a replacement, they guy on the phone was like "oh ya... those things are gold around here". haha

Any new pics of your clowns. Interested to see what there patterns look like now.

I will see what I can do :)

Tank is looking awesome dude! Think ima pick up that reef savvy cube and hold on to it. Hey how much gfo you recommend. I use 4 table spoons of brs rox carbon and normally 3 teaspoons of gfo. About 40 gal

Tank is looking awesome dude! Think ima pick up that reef savvy cube and hold on to it. Hey how much gfo you recommend. I use 4 table spoons of brs rox carbon and normally 3 teaspoons of gfo. About 40 gal

I think getting the reef savvy and holding onto it is a great idea. For 40g you only use 3 teaspoons of gfo? I use quite a bit more than that in mine. I use probably 3/4 of a cup of GFO and a half a cup of ROX carbon. That being said, I feed fairly heavily.

I am actually thinking about taking my biopellets offline because some of my coral problems may be linked to an actual lack of nutrients and I think running both biopellets and gfo is too much for this tank. I know I said I had around 20 nitrates before, but I think that was a bad reading. I am getting <5ppm nitrates and .03 phos from tests I did over the weekend. It's something I am chewing on.

looks so beautiful indy. wonderful job

Thanks! I'm glad someone else likes the tank but me :)

That clam makes me jelly.

It's a trooper clam that I have had for over 3 years. It survived the emergency 60g break down, a poorly light and dirty holding tank for 2 months, and then the move back to my 40g. Great colors for an average crocea.