Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Doc is in - ATI & Tooth Dust powered - new pics on pg 32

DRLOVEtoreef

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DRLOVEtoreef

Is that Flex PVC for your plumbing? I'm think about using that stuff on an upcoming 40B build.

yes, I did use flex PVC ... it is a great product ... I found the black variety at Marine Depot ... just make sure you get a really good prime and bond with the glue and give it plenty of time to cure ... also, heating it up in the oven will help a lot if you have some tight corners to make

I dont think anyone realizes how awesome that light fixture is.

It is badass

I woke up Saturday from a nap to find my tank is an utter state fo disaster ... in the 12 years I have been doing reefs, this is a new one to me ... one dead fish, sps rtn'ing, zoas, palys, lps closed up ... some lps like the kryptonite candy cane rtn'ng ... I check for any obvious issues ... blown pump, heater etc ... nothing ... no doser or caclium reactor to malfunction ... I did add a tsp of kalk to my ATO cotainer, but that is normal ... tank water is clear ... no smell of death ... microfauna is doing well ... I immediated added carbon and I have been doing water changes as fast as I can ... suggestions? I have 3 daughters and so far one has confessed to placing her hand in the aquarium .. I can't find any pennies or other things ... this is so sad.

At this point, I am gearing up for a near 100% water change

Gold all in my reflector, gold all in my logo, gold all in my sleeving, dont believe in metal halide. Nano Box, Nano Box, Nano Box!

9267687769_73f42eed8f_b.jpg

-Dave

That looks amazing

DRLOVEtoreef

With the main tank is a current state of disaster, it is nice to see the new tank coming along ... I just hope we can make some progress with the main tank before it is a complete loss ... here is an updated picture of the new tank from David ... I will pick it up tonight

AIOtank-falsewall_zpsaf344e6b.jpeg

I hope your tank turns around G. Hope this cheers you up!

A lot of sweat and hard work went into this guy. I have to say it is by far my top three I have built! :D

9295363349_9c2103fa66_c.jpg

-Dave

DRLOVEtoreef

I hope your tank turns around G. Hope this cheers you up!

A lot of sweat and hard work went into this guy. I have to say it is by far my top three I have built! :D

9295363349_9c2103fa66_c.jpg

-Dave

that is a great way to start the day! Thanks Dave ... that looks awesome !

DRLOVEtoreef

Update Time ...

I am just about done with the re-boot from the tank crash of 2013 .. this has been one of the most painful periods of reefkeeping for me ... I have had tanks since 2001 and this is the first complete crash where things are normal and dying within hours ... in retrospect, I think it is most likely due to one of my daughters pouring something in the tank ... although none will crack from heavy interrogation - KIDDING ONLY

I have removed most of the rock, completed mass water changes, carbon out of my ears, polyfilters and still things died ... I lost close to 80% of my corals to this point, with the rest on life support ... there are some signs of improvement, which, is a positive sign.

About 3 weeks prior to this, I decided to add a second AIO system to house my zoas and palys ... sadly, I didn't get it online fast enough to save anything ... it is fully operational now, but, still needs to mature.

The new system is awesome with a custom LED/T5 fixture from Dave at NanoBox .. and, I have high hopes for the main system ... the crash did give me a chance to rescape .. going to a minimal look with sps dominant corals ... I am currently "cooking" some of the live rock from the tank I had in the sump to get it nice and clean prior to re-scaping. I have a custom hybrid on order from NanoBox for the main system also ... while I enjoy the first LED fixture, I really want to maximize colors and growth, and, I will get that better with a new fixture.

In the mean time, I will give the tanks time to recover and the start introducing corals back. I have a local member that is holding 4-5 sps colonies for me so I will be able to re-build once the tanks recover ... I am ready for this to be behind me.

• 2 weeks later...
DRLOVEtoreef

Not much to report ... On vacation this week in San Antonio ... Had a great time at Sea World, Natural Bridge Caves and so on ... Tanks are hopefully continuing to get healthy ...

When I get home tomorrow I hope to work on the aquascaping and install the bubble magus doser on the main tank

DRLOVEtoreef

That was an a** whipping ... It probably wouldn't have been too bad but carrying my two year old the whole time was brutal ... 180' down and back up was fun

Have you done any of the adventure tours?

DRLOVEtoreef

I made it back home to find the tanks in good shape!! I had some maintenance when I got home

- changed five gallons from the AIO tank and ten gallons from the main tank

- moved all but one of the last corals from the main tank to the AIO tank

- cleaned glass and skimmers on both tanks

- cleaned the overflow box on the main tank

- doses the main tank with prodibio

- finally re-introduced the "cooked" live rock that had been cleaning for three weeks back into the main display

Busy couple of hours but good to see the corals doing well

DRLOVEtoreef

Thinking of doing a mod to the tunze nano skimmer ... I have see where it is common to replace the stock airline and run it out the skimmer and use an airline valve ... Any reason not to run the new line out the top of the skimmer and drill a hole in the top of the skimmer body?

BattleAthletics

That was an a** whipping ... It probably wouldn't have been too bad but carrying my two year old the whole time was brutal ... 180' down and back up was fun

Have you done any of the adventure tours?

No I havent, I wouldnt dare go in the summertime! I think the wife wants to go to seaworld mid next week. That and maybe the childrens museum. Im trying to see where I could go to see some fish stores.

DRLOVEtoreef

This is probably a stupid question but are the caves cooler in the winter time? I wouldn't think so but I want to go back some day without any kids and have more time to enjoy it

Well I am officially wiped out ... We got started this morning around seven setting eight 12' and eight 16' posts for a new pole barn at the homestead ... Now relaxing by the tanks and just tired!!

DRLOVEtoreef

Thanks Jedi ... I couldn't imagine they would change much ... This one they worked very hard to keep the humidity there ... It was 70 degrees but the 99% humidity was an a** whipping

BattleAthletics

This is probably a stupid question but are the caves cooler in the winter time? I wouldn't think so but I want to go back some day without any kids and have more time to enjoy it

Well I am officially wiped out ... We got started this morning around seven setting eight 12' and eight 16' posts for a new pole barn at the homestead ... Now relaxing by the tanks and just tired!!

Ive been once to be honest. It was about 80ish if I remember It was early August last year. I also went to the Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch next door. Now thats something to do in the cooler times. No better way to get up close and personal with a llama tryna spit at you. lol.

We are planning to go officially now to sea world pending my supervisory position interview where I work.

Anyone know any good LFS in San Antonio?!?!?!?!?!

DRLOVEtoreef

I would love to hear of some good stores down there ... I think there are some good ones in Austin

We considered the drive thru thing but it was so damn hot

The one thing we all loved was Fralos Pizza ... That was amazing!

BattleAthletics

I would love to hear of some good stores down there ... I think there are some good ones in Austin

We considered the drive thru thing but it was so damn hot

The one thing we all loved was Fralos Pizza ... That was amazing!

Fralos Pizza? Googling.......ahhh it looks nice. Taking my hyper 2 year old daughter will be a task though at that place. Id rather do the dave and busters since ive never been and get so much shit from the wife from never having been to one. Its her fault really lol.

The feeding the animals can be scary sometimes dude. Sometimes the antelope will get frisky and ding up your car. Those animals are in heaven though. They get fed so much.

Is there good ones in austin? We go out of town alot, but not since the wife was preggers with the second baby. Id like to frequent Austin a bit more since my brother in law lives there.

DRLOVEtoreef

Fralos was amazing ... A real hole in the wall place but damn good ... My only regret is that we only ate there once

I think Austin Aqua Farms is supposed to be worth a visit

BattleAthletics

Fralos was amazing ... A real hole in the wall place but damn good ... My only regret is that we only ate there once

I think Austin Aqua Farms is supposed to be worth a visit

What did you all end up getting?

DRLOVEtoreef

I finally have some pictures to update the thread with ... on to the update!

First off, I received this awesome package while I was gone ...

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/IMG_0846_zps4574759f.jpg.html'>IMG_0846_zps4574759f.jpg

what could it be??

I love the mp10 on this tank, but, I wanted it closer to the tank's surface ... fortunately, Pico Aquariums makes these awesome mp10 shields ... they work great and at $25 (on sale) they are terrific

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/IMG_0848_zps6b7a8434.jpg.html'>IMG_0848_zps6b7a8434.jpg

Here are some pictures of the AIO tank ... the corals are doing much better, and, many are open even more since I took these pictures ... I am so happy it wasn't a complete loss with the tank crash

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/AIO-8-5-13_zpsc5f16f1e.jpg.html'>AIO-8-5-13_zpsc5f16f1e.jpg

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/toadstool-8-5-13_zpsb21dc6cc.jpg.html'>toadstool-8-5-13_zpsb21dc6cc.jpg

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/AIO-8-5-13a_zpsa014a3dc.jpg.html'>AIO-8-5-13a_zpsa014a3dc.jpg

and finally a really crummy FTS of the AIO with the NanoBox t5/LED hybrid

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/78cd1f6b-d05d-4887-9522-f41541c4d758_zps0fc16152.jpg.html'>78cd1f6b-d05d-4887-9522-f41541c4d758_zps

DRLOVEtoreef

And finally a sad picture of the main tank ... I suppose it is sad and happy at the same time ... it sucks to see it so empty and a shell of its former state, but, at the same time, I love the scape on this tank now and the flow is much better ... it should do very well with the sps when I start adding them back ... you can see the yellow tang ... he will be going to a new home soon ...

I do have some gsp in the main tank and a couple of zoas that are growing on the bottom that are still alive ... otherwise the only coral that will stay in there is the war coral ... I really hope to let the war coral grow and take over that corner ...

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/IMG_0850_zps10d26547.jpg.html'>IMG_0850_zps10d26547.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived