Top Shelf Aquatics

The Doc is in - ATI & Tooth Dust powered - new pics on pg 32

DRLOVEtoreef

Nice build you've got going. Looking foward to seeing it.

Thanks - me too .. I meet with a cabinet builder this evening ... hopefully we can get the stand design knocked out ... once we get the stand done, I can begin to design the sump and go from there

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
what is the harm in running both colors? Thanks for the advice.

Cyan is a big peak in fluorescence and in color rendition, green is not. Algaes can use green significantly more efficiently than anything else, so leaving those on will help them out. I mentioned in my second post in here that green was not needed if using cyan.

Cyan is a big peak in fluorescence and in color rendition, green is not. Algaes can use green significantly more efficiently than anything else, so leaving those on will help them out. I mentioned in my second post in here that green was not needed if using cyan.

thanks for the explanation

hypersnyper694788

awesome build, this really makes me want to make my own LED set up. If you dont mind me asking, how much do you think you have in your LED with everything?

awesome build, this really makes me want to make my own LED set up. If you dont mind me asking, how much do you think you have in your LED with everything?

Thanks for the kind words ... I am anxious to start putting this together.

Materials were over 500 ... of course, as has been documented, this fixture was overbuilt ... I knowingly had it overdone ...

hypersnyper694788
Thanks for the kind words ... I am anxious to start putting this together.

Materials were over 500 ... of course, as has been documented, this fixture was overbuilt ... I knowingly had it overdone ...

Yea but for $500 you will probably have a better light for your tank than anything else on the market, and cheaper.

Yea but for $500 you will probably have a better light for your tank than anything else on the market, and cheaper.

Who knows ... the big thing is that I am happy with the purchase ... just ready to get this tank going ... waiting on the stand builder at this point

What style stand are you doing ?

trying to blend a modern look with some of the bedroom furniture we have in the adjacent room ... hopefully I will have some drawings soon.

I like it so far. Are you building it or having it done for you?

after going back and forth on the issue, we decided to have a local cabinetry company build it for us ... I am not that great at finish carpentry (have no issues building barns or decks), but, we want this to be as perfect as we can ... we are also going to have them build another piece of furniture for that room

hypersnyper694788

Great idea on the having it professionally done. The last thing you want is to invest all this money to make it look like its sitting on a cheap homemade hunk of wood. Finding a nice stand is really tuff too.

Great idea on the having it professionally done. The last thing you want is to invest all this money to make it look like its sitting on a cheap homemade hunk of wood. Finding a nice stand is really tuff too.

I tend to agree ... I have built stands before, and while they looked nice, I really wanted something that was top notch ... it doesn't make much sense (at least to me) to invest so much in all other areas to be cheap on the stand ...

As the progress continues, I am beginning to think about my equipment list ... since we are going to keep predominantly LPS, I am really going to work hard to keep this simple ... with that in mind - here is what I am thinking:

> custom LED fixture (complete)

> controller: thinking a reefkeeper lite or ac jr ... something to manage fans, heater and turn light fixture on or off ... something simple

> return pump ... leaning towards a DC tunze return pump (makes battery back-up much easier) and great track record

> main flow in tank: mp40 ... again, hard to beat the clean lines and wide flow pattern

> skimmer ... this is one area I don't want to skimp on - I view this as the heart of the whole setup - leaning towards an Avast Marine CS1 protein skimmer ... smoke acrylic with swabbie

thoughts and or suggestions?

I would think that with a long narrow tank like this, it would be better to have 2 MP10's, than 1 MP40. An MP40 would provide adequate flow, but closer to the power head you would have quite a high flow rate and on the other end it would be quite a bit less. It would be harder to control flow throughout the whole tank. Whereas, with 2 MP10's you have greater control and they would actually work together. The cost would be about the same. The only downside is having a power head on each side, but the MP10 profile is a lot less than the MP40. Just my opinion,

That skimmer looks awesome and I hear nothing but praise for Avast products.

I use the RKL and it's about as simple as they come. It turns things on and off for me. Monitors my temperature and things like that. I've been happy with it.

I would think that with a long narrow tank like this, it would be better to have 2 MP10's, than 1 MP40. An MP40 would provide adequate flow, but closer to the power head you would have quite a high flow rate and on the other end it would be quite a bit less. It would be harder to control flow throughout the whole tank. Whereas, with 2 MP10's you have greater control and they would actually work together. The cost would be about the same. The only downside is having a power head on each side, but the MP10 profile is a lot less than the MP40. Just my opinion,

That skimmer looks awesome and I hear nothing but praise for Avast products.

I use the RKL and it's about as simple as they come. It turns things on and off for me. Monitors my temperature and things like that. I've been happy with it.

Those are some great points ... I have considered the mp10's and we have discussed that here, I will be 1/8" over the max thickness recommended for mp10's, and, that is pretty small ... I may start with a mp10 to see how it holds up to the glass thickness

a bit of a progression with the planning ... I am leaning very heavily towards using this company ... http://aqua-tecture.com/ ... to build some custom aquascape ... to be able to have a solid scape, clean and minimal impact on the environment are all big bonuses ... plus, I am considering having one of the rock structures extend 2-3" past the water line and to have a colored piece will eliminate the bone white look of exposed rock ... anyone have any experience with them?

That tank's dimensions are so awesome. Since I live in an apartment and already have a 55 gallon... I went with a 20 long. :)

Can't wait for this to be filled up!

That tank's dimensions are so awesome. Since I live in an apartment and already have a 55 gallon... I went with a 20 long. :)

Can't wait for this to be filled up!

Thank you - I am getting anxious to get this started as well ...

Hopefully I will get the stand back next week ... going to pick the custom fixture up this weekend .. then I still need to design and order the sump for the tank ... then begin to finalize equipment plans.

gaberosenfield

Love the tank, it looks so clean! I may have to steal your overflow design ;) .

The artificial rock from the site you posted seems like it will look pretty natural, depending upon the individual piece. Some pieces looked more fake and other's looked more natural. Assuming you get one of the most natural looking pieces, I think it will make for a much more stable scape, as you mentioned. I personally wouldn't go with any artificial colors. The rock in the water will color up and look better than anything artificial with time, and you could put some type of macro algae on the rock that is jutting out of the water and let it grow so that looks as natural as possible. Just my 2 cents.

Love the tank, it looks so clean! I may have to steal your overflow design ;) .

The artificial rock from the site you posted seems like it will look pretty natural, depending upon the individual piece. Some pieces looked more fake and other's looked more natural. Assuming you get one of the most natural looking pieces, I think it will make for a much more stable scape, as you mentioned. I personally wouldn't go with any artificial colors. The rock in the water will color up and look better than anything artificial with time, and you could put some type of macro algae on the rock that is jutting out of the water and let it grow so that looks as natural as possible. Just my 2 cents.

I can't take credit for the overflow design ... the tank builder does a great job ...

I do agree on the rock ... some of the shapes are way over done ... that is one thing I stressed when turning in my design request ... for custom scapes, you describe what you, they then you have an idea on cost, once you give approval, they build the scapes and shoot pictures for your final approval ... neat approach.

Can you elaborate more on the macro algae ... what would grow well? That would be very cool - thanks.

Here is a sample of one of the styles I do like ...

post-45711-1355350208_thumb.jpg

Archived