ReefCleaners.org

The Doc is in - ATI & Tooth Dust powered - new pics on pg 32

DRLOVEtoreef

DRLOVEtoreef

If you havent figured out your mp10/40 dilemma yet, there is one more option for the 10. I bought a pair of mp10s that had been "modified" to fit thicker glass. Basically the face of the dry side is cut off, elimintating the 1/8"(ish) plastic between the magnet and the glass. Everything works normally with them after the mod. Hell if youre interested I still have one on a tank that Im taking down as we speak. Its a wireless, but I could let it go if you wanted it. PM me if you are interested.

Otherwise sweet build!

I ultimately went with two tunze ... a 6105 and a 6095 ... I am pretty happy with the flow, but I have been thinking of adding a mp10 or mp40 for the undertow flow .. shoot me some more info on the mp10 ... pics would be great

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DRLOVEtoreef

In other news, I have decided to start adding Kalkwasser to my ATO reservoir ... the reservoir holds just under 10 gallons ... I plan on only adding a couple tablespoons .. I want the added stability that this will offer .. the first 4 sps test pieces I added are doing very well ... in a couple of weeks, I will be adding a small blue tort colony and a forest fire digitata ... after that, I will be in cruise control ... after another 2-3 months, I will look at adding fish ... or, until my skimmer stops producing ... even with no fish, I am still getting a full skimmer cup full of crud twice a week ...

DRLOVEtoreef

Your skimmer will not stop pulling skimmate.

Correct, but, it will slow down as the amount of crud is reduced ... at least, that has been my experience ... the heavier the bioload, the darker and nastier the skimmate .. I created a cryptic zone in my refugium with a 3" sand bed (live sand) and live rock ... it was live rock purchased from the florida providers ... it has created a beautiful area, but, still processing die off

DRLOVEtoreef

Here are some more pictures ...

I took some pictures of the skimmer ... this is 4 days of skimming ...

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/IMG_3740_zpsd8f9a61e.jpg.html'>IMG_3740_zpsd8f9a61e.jpg

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/IMG_3737_zps394fbc90.jpg.html'>IMG_3737_zps394fbc90.jpg

Finally, a picture of the sump area ... nice and simple.

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/IMG_3730_zpse71301a4.jpg.html'>IMG_3730_zpse71301a4.jpg

DRLOVEtoreef

In other news, I am loving the LED fixture I am using ... it does an amazing job bringing all of the colors out and really makes them pop! The only downside is that I do get some shadowing and areas that aren't lit that well ... with that in mind, I talked to Dave Fason about adding a couple t5 bulbs to help eliminate shome shadowing.

I saw the work he did with that hybrid fixture and loved the work he did on that ... with that in mind, we came up with a design to add a 48" bulb across the front and a 36" bulb across the back ... the shorter bulb on the back was necessary due to the LED wire bundle that comes in the existing fixture.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
DRLOVEtoreef

where did you get that flexible plumbing? Im thinking of using it on my new set up

I ordered it through Marine Depot ... it works great .... one trick you can use is for tight bends like the one I had to make, you can heat it up in a oven first .... that makes those tight bends much easier!

The tanks are coming along ... I did decide to add a separate system that will house my zoas, palys and a few macros ...

jedimasterben

where did you get that flexible plumbing? Im thinking of using it on my new set up

Just wanted to add that that tubing is not like regular tubing. It is small bits of PVC ribbed inside regular tubing, so you MUST use PVC glue and slip fittings, no barbs!

• 2 weeks later...
DRLOVEtoreef

Just wanted to add that that tubing is not like regular tubing. It is small bits of PVC ribbed inside regular tubing, so you MUST use PVC glue and slip fittings, no barbs!

That is a great point ... you cement this like you would normally with PVC ... the one thing I would is that you want to be generous with the primer and glue and give it more time to cure ... once it sets, you get a permanent bond, but, I have pushed it too soon and developed a slow leak later on ... you need to make sure you get a really good bond with this material

David (tank builder) is making good progress on the tank ... the glass is in and here is a mock-up of the tank ... minus the false back wall and compartment ...

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/c068eaf9-d897-4e69-a36b-e147b2485c69_zps12812007.jpg.html'>c068eaf9-d897-4e69-a36b-e147b2485c69_zps

I have all of the supplies ordered and ready to go ... once I have the tank and stand complete, I can put this tank online ... I will use rock and water from the established main tank ... light should ship from NanoBox Reef (Dave Fason) soon also! I am excited to get this all put together.

some specs on the second tank ...

30" long x 18" wide ... I will have the false compartment that will be 5" wide ... it will have 2 compartments ... the first compartment will house chaeto and then overflow to the return pump ... that section will have the sicce 0.5 return pump ... tunze nano osmolator, cobalt neo-therm heater

flow will be provided with a vortech mp10 and battery back-up ... return pump will be a sicce 0.5 pump

reef keeper lite with neotherm 50 watt heater

custom LED/t5 fixture built by Dave Fason (NanoBox)

crushed coral sand bed

this tank will house the zoas, palys, some shrooms, gorgonians and 1-2 LPS ...

DRLOVEtoreef

Nice light. SHould be a fun second tank. Are u plumbing the new tank into the existing system?

Thank you .. the lights should be great ... the new tank will be a stand alone AIO setup ... I will take water and rock from the existing setup so it will have little to no cycle ... any water changes will take water from the main system ... the main system will be predominantly SPS while the new tank will house zoas and palys, so, they should enjoy the "dirty" water from the main system

DRLOVEtoreef

nice nanobox-still waiting on mine-can't wait!

yep, Dave has been great to work with ... a little delay, but, that is mainly b/c I keep adding things to my order ... but, he has always responded to emails within hours ... it will be well worth it!

DRLOVEtoreef

David has the tank siliconed in ... still needs to place the false wall and back compartment, but, I think it looks amazing to this point ...

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/f891c5ad-9c19-4d38-8f48-1c00764c94f7_zpsf7b218a2.jpg.html'>f891c5ad-9c19-4d38-8f48-1c00764c94f7_zps

the wall on the right of the picture is the rear wall ... that is regular glass and the false wall will cover that ... that is why the silcone isn't perfect there

DRLOVEtoreef

looks good

Thanks ... should have the custom stand delivered early next week ... hope to pick up the tank on Sunday ... hopefully will get water in it on Tuesday or Wednesday ..

Looking forward to all of this! Black and gold is a combo I will do for a few other units now.

Thanks for hanging in there G! I know you will be geeked!

-Dave

DRLOVEtoreef

Looking forward to all of this! Black and gold is a combo I will do for a few other units now.

Thanks for hanging in there G! I know you will be geeked!

-Dave

It will be worth the wait ... it is the waiting that sucks though ... if you didn't do such a good job, we wouldn't be as excited!

Gold all in my reflector, gold all in my logo, gold all in my sleeving, dont believe in metal halide. Nano Box, Nano Box, Nano Box!

9267687769_73f42eed8f_b.jpg

-Dave

Archived