Cultivated Reef

The Doc is in - ATI & Tooth Dust powered - new pics on pg 32

DRLOVEtoreef

A lot of people do it without issue, it's one of those things that Ecotech doesn't want just in case, so they list the maximum as 3/8". A MP40 on that tank will prevent you from having most substrates (even heavier sands, you'd need crushed coral at least), the flow is so wide and strong.

I agree 100% on the flow patterns of the mp40 ... I would really prefer the mp10's over the mp40 from esthetics, function etc ... plus, it is nice to save some money in one area :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
I agree 100% on the flow patterns of the mp40 ... I would really prefer the mp10's over the mp40 from esthetics, function etc ... plus, it is nice to save some money in one area :)

Exactly why I went with MP10s on my tank. Even 16" (12" water line) I don't think a MP40 would work with my sand, and the cost would have been a bit more... difficult to explain to the missus. ;)

Exactly why I went with MP10s on my tank. Even 16" (12" water line) I don't think a MP40 would work with my sand, and the cost would have been a bit more... difficult to explain to the missus. ;)

I am still undecided, but, I am currently leaning towards a barebottom setup ... I have done both, and, enjoyed the barebottom more ... that will help simplify things with the flow, but, I still need to decide.

Sweet dimensions! Love shallow tanks!

I'd really stick with the mp10's. I've just one mp10 on mine, with a slighty shorter tank than yours.

thanks ... I really do love shallow tanks as well ... I think this one is going to turn out pretty cool as well.

hypersnyper694788
I checked again on the mp10 ... EcoTech says their recommended max thickness in glass for the mp10's is 3/8" glass ... anything more and it starts to strain the magnets

3/8" is literately 1/16 smaller than 1/2", do you know how small that is in real life? I'm sure your magnets will be just fine. your call though

jedimasterben
3/8" is literately 1/16 smaller than 1/2", do you know how small that is in real life? I'm sure your magnets will be just fine. your call though

When talking magnets, it can really make a difference, though as you said it doesn't seem like it. The magnets that the MP10s use, though, are more than enough to do 1/2", it's just that Ecotech probably doesn't want to have to warranty them just in case something does go wrong.

Looks like a very unique set up, I'll be following along!

Thank you ... hopefully it will live up to it's potential!

yes, I am familiar with how small a 1/16" of an inch is ... miniscule at best ...

When talking magnets, it can really make a difference, though as you said it doesn't seem like it. The magnets that the MP10s use, though, are more than enough to do 1/2", it's just that Ecotech probably doesn't want to have to warranty them just in case something does go wrong.

good point ... I am really looking forward to the mp10's over the mp40's ... do you guys think one or two?

Or actually two sixteenths.

lol - touche

jedimasterben
good point ... I am really looking forward to the mp10's over the mp40's ... do you guys think one or two?

i would do two. one on the side and one on the back between the rockwork.

i would do two. one on the side and one on the back between the rockwork.

What is the benefit of going with one on the end and one on the back vs. two on the same end, but, with alternating flow ... it seems like the two on the end would create a better flow alternating??

jedimasterben
What is the benefit of going with one on the end and one on the back vs. two on the same end, but, with alternating flow ... it seems like the two on the end would create a better flow alternating??

Two on the same side, alternating, will be roughly the same as having one going the same speed all the time, maybe a tiny bit more random than that. One on the side and one on the back in Reef Crest or Nutrient Transport Mode will have a big mix of random and linear flow, and will reach places that otherwise wouldn't have as much flow.

Two on the same side, alternating, will be roughly the same as having one going the same speed all the time, maybe a tiny bit more random than that. One on the side and one on the back in Reef Crest or Nutrient Transport Mode will have a big mix of random and linear flow, and will reach places that otherwise wouldn't have as much flow.

so both pumps are linked and are set on the same mode? that is a great point on the flow though ...

jedimasterben
so both pumps are linked and are set on the same mode? that is a great point on the flow though ...

Yes, as long as you get the wireless ones (which I very highly recommend getting if you want more than one). The way the pumps work together is amazing, far better than any 'wave controller' I've ever seen. People usually get them for the wave function, but just making waves won't do much for corals, as there is little net movement of the water, but the modes have both wave action and linear action mixed in together for superior flow.

I can't say enough good things about them. :)

Yes, as long as you get the wireless ones (which I very highly recommend getting if you want more than one). The way the pumps work together is amazing, far better than any 'wave controller' I've ever seen. People usually get them for the wave function, but just making waves won't do much for corals, as there is little net movement of the water, but the modes have both wave action and linear action mixed in together for superior flow.

I can't say enough good things about them. :)

I have owned a couple vortechs over the years ... but, due to the setups, I never used two of them at the same time ... yes, I will go with the wireless setups ... back to thickness question, the back of the tank does have a sheet of ABS along the back plus the glass ... do you guys think the magnets will still function well with that?

I have been looking at different setups, and, this is one of my favorite ones ... this is the direction I want to take for this tank ... all compliments to marc3lo19 for this setup

fulltankshotlarge.jpg

jedimasterben

What is the total thickness including the sheet of acrylic on the back? 1/2" is pretty much the maximum. Why not paint the back?

it is 1/4" I believe ... that is they style of tank this builder does ... I like it a lot as a finished product, but it does complicate matters some ... looks like I am going to have to pair one mp40 with the mp10

jedimasterben

And I've never seen anyone run an MP40 on a 10" tall tank. Even though the 40 has a special grating to help prevent vortexes from pulling down air, it might still do it.

And I've never seen anyone run an MP40 on a 10" tall tank. Even though the 40 has a special grating to help prevent vortexes from pulling down air, it might still do it.

I have run a mp40 on a 14" tall tank with a 2-3" sand bed ... was challenging, but, once it was dialed in it worked out just fine ... really, my biggest concern with the mp10 is will the flow reach the end of the tank as it is 56" long

• 3 weeks later...

Joe is making progress on the lighting setup:

Here is a picture of the ballast box and the dimming controls for the individual colors:

lightpics-controlbox.jpg

the heat sink with LED's mounted:

lightpics.jpg

all blue leds:

lightpics-allblue.jpg

all violet leds:

lightpics-allviolet.jpg

Archived