Top Shelf Aquatics

The Doc is in - ATI & Tooth Dust powered - new pics on pg 32

DRLOVEtoreef

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
DRLOVEtoreef

I had a busy couple of days over the Christmas break ... made a run to pick up the custom LED fixture and the tank ... the stand was delivered also ... I spent some time hanging the fixture also ... here are pictures:

Here is a picture of the fixture wires installed

IMG_0007_zps6515fda1.jpg

Picture from the end of the fixture:

IMG_0006_zps373d9ca9.jpg

Here is a picture from the front of the tank with the fixture suspended

IMG_0003_zps2c898d47.jpg

Picture of the stand with the doors open

IMG_0004_zpsb39c06ad.jpg

And finally a picture of the second piece of cabinetry we had built for the fish room

IMG_0005_zps918daae2.jpg

Sorry about the crummy pictures ... the Ipad doesn't take the best pictures.

At this point, I need to drill holes in the stand for plumbing and begin to install some of the plumbing ...

I turned in an order to Melevsreef.biz for a custom sump (plan on using a modified version M for the sump) and one of his ATO containers .... then still waiting on the custom rock structures

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - I will have a lot better feel for how they look once I have them in the tank

Heck, I scape it just like the picture you have. Looks good!

Heck, I scape it just like the picture you have. Looks good!

I know ... I believe I will ... at this point though, I am leaning towards using 3 tunze 6095's for flow, so, I may swap the rocks from left to right and put the tower towards the right to hide the wires and pumps

Can you take pics with better lighting so we can see the cabinet and lights better?

You bet ... I will try to get some tonight

This is turning out to be a sweet custom build. Looking forward to its progress.

Thanks - I hope so ... the custom pieces of rock from Aqua-Tecture should have arrived today ... I can't wait to place them in the tank and see how it looks

Very cool tank, the dimensions are awesome!

I love the dimensions so far ... everytime I walk by the tank, I just love the look ... hopefully it looks as good with corals in it

As I stated - the custom pieces from aqua-tecture should be at the house now ... I will hopefully have time to play with the scape ...

The order for the custom sump and ATO container has been placed ... those should arrive within a couple of weeks ... after that, I have to finalize my plans for flow ... initially I was leaning towards a couple mp10's or mp40's, but, I am leaning towards 2-3 of the tunze 6095's for flow ... while I do sacrific the cords, I do gain a much quieter pump ...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great tank. I was actually just google searching trying to get inspiration for a wide shallow tank and happened upon this topic. I was excited to see it is relatively recent and that you're still working on it.

Really like the whole setup and design. I'm excited to see where it goes!

DRLOVEtoreef

This is a great tank. I was actually just google searching trying to get inspiration for a wide shallow tank and happened upon this topic. I was excited to see it is relatively recent and that you're still working on it.

Really like the whole setup and design. I'm excited to see where it goes!

Thank you ... I have finally started the plumbing and should hopefully have water in it this week ... I will see if I can get some updated pictures soon ...

I love the size of the tank. Personally I was looking for a manufacturer that would make me a 48x14x14 or something similar....but I don't know of anyone around here that can build a high quality tank. I really like your overflow setup as well. Like you said, it's really clean looking and doesn't take away from the footprint of the tank.

My current tank is your typical reef....lots of rock and various corals. My next one is going to be clean and simple and elegant. You're part of my inspiration :-)

DRLOVEtoreef

I love the size of the tank. Personally I was looking for a manufacturer that would make me a 48x14x14 or something similar....but I don't know of anyone around here that can build a high quality tank. I really like your overflow setup as well. Like you said, it's really clean looking and doesn't take away from the footprint of the tank.

My current tank is your typical reef....lots of rock and various corals. My next one is going to be clean and simple and elegant. You're part of my inspiration :-)

Thanks ... the dimensions have really worked out well and it is a very clean setup ... I would spend extra time trying to find a tank builder that can deliver ... I wouild consider adding another foot or ten inches ... it really makes a difference having that extra space for your powerheads (vortech or tunze)

DRLOVEtoreef

I finally have some good updates to share ... after dragging my feet, I finally finished plumbing the tank, running electrical etc ... all of that stuff that takes way longer than you would think it should. I will say, that my interest in completing those tasks has waned quite a bit from where it was on previous tanks ... it is more of a chore now :)

A few observations from the setup ...

> a 75 gpd basic ro/di setup takes WAY LONGER than a 100 gpd with booster pump setup does ... it took all weekend it seemed to make enough water to fill the tank ... low water pressure coupled with ice cold well water didn't help things by any means

> Herbie overflow setup rocks! I sort of stumbled my way in to that overflow setup, but, wow, it is so easy to dial in, is super quiet and very clean looking

I have the tank salinity just about where I want it ... just need to add the second heater and I should have the tank fairly stable ...

I added the Prodibio start-up bacteria to get the system going ... over the next couple days, I will be receiving chaeto, live sand samples and some live rock rubble to seed the system ... then the waiting game begins. Since I am using no live rock (besides some small pieces in the sand bed section of the sump (blacked out with no light), I anticipate it will take longer to get the natural fauna established.

Hopefully I will have some pictures up this week

Try Microbacter7 if you're so inclined. A lot of people have had success and it has a pretty good variety of bacteria. Should get you going pretty quick. :-)

DRLOVEtoreef

Try Microbacter7 if you're so inclined. A lot of people have had success and it has a pretty good variety of bacteria. Should get you going pretty quick. :-)

good tip ... I may give that a whirl ...

• 4 weeks later...
DRLOVEtoreef

updates?

I am trying to see how big of a slacker I can be ... I will see if I can get some new pictures this weekend

• 2 weeks later...
DRLOVEtoreef

Update time ...

I have been busy over the past 3-4 weeks adding pieces ... fortunately, I still had a tank running prior to this one, so, I was able to transfer water and liverock in my refugium ... that coupled with Prodibio created a fast cycle and the tank is doing well .. I will see if I can get some pictures of the tank, but, I am really stoked to be adding this piece ... I love wall hammers, and, to find an orange one was awesome ... here is a picture of the coral:

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/lovetoreef/media/orangehammer_zpsd3e46a9e.jpg.html'>orangehammer_zpsd3e46a9e.jpg

I am going to have to shift things around to accomodate it, but, I will make it work!

If you havent figured out your mp10/40 dilemma yet, there is one more option for the 10. I bought a pair of mp10s that had been "modified" to fit thicker glass. Basically the face of the dry side is cut off, elimintating the 1/8"(ish) plastic between the magnet and the glass. Everything works normally with them after the mod. Hell if youre interested I still have one on a tank that Im taking down as we speak. Its a wireless, but I could let it go if you wanted it. PM me if you are interested.

Otherwise sweet build!

Archived