inTank Media Baskets

Don't want to offend anyone tank.

patback

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it was put back as soon as I took the pic. I thought it was a crab but ended up being a sponge. It probably got air caught in it as soon as I took it out of the water. It had really big pores on it.

I keep saying that all I am waiting for is an mp10 but I keep buying stuff and postponing getting this tank wet! omgomgomg

F68C1658-B556-4487-BA28-27CD3D0F4E6C-587-000000BB9D03B125.jpg

There's half of my mp10 down the drain :P

Yeah, it was put back as soon as I took the pic. I thought it was a crab but ended up being a sponge. It probably got air caught in it as soon as I took it out of the water. It had really big pores on it.

I like it, possible future trade Pat.

The Kat Pat trade. I like it.

Hehe. Low tide im going to take a quick dip and see what I can find. I'll bring a small container to make sure nothing gets exposed to air this time.

This time last year the dock was FILLED with sponges and macros, but this year nothing. It sucks too because it was so much warmer earlier this year than last and I thought for sure that I would get some goodies.

:D. I like the kat pat trade too!

Hehe. Low tide im going to take a quick dip and see what I can find. I'll bring a small container to make sure nothing gets exposed to air this time.

This time last year the dock was FILLED with sponges and macros, but this year nothing. It sucks too because it was so much warmer earlier this year than last and I thought for sure that I would get some goodies.

:D. I like the kat pat trade too!

You know Paul, the Long Island legendary reefer with the 40 year old tank? His thread is full of what he finds in your neck of the woods. Must read.

You know Paul, the Long Island legendary reefer with the 40 year old tank? His thread is full of what he finds in your neck of the woods. Must read.

I've heard of him before and think I may have read about about him. Pretty cool. I would love to learn to go diving. There's supposedly real cool temperate stuff south of long island/east of new jersey around old wrecks and man made reefs.

Between seeing the guy down the street who catches angels and gobies in a Killie trap in the creek and hearing stories of people finding mantis shrimp near Moriches inlet, there has got to be a ton of fishy-summer vacationers from Florida all around.

My brother has permits for commercial crabbing, clamming and fishing. I wonder how far out those permits stretch and if he would be allowed to collect. Maybe since some of them aren't native there is no law or regulations... I'll have to read up on that.

That guy is incedible. among other things he finds in the water up there, he also has beer cans and bottles in his tank!

That guy is incedible. among other things he finds in the water up there, he also has beer cans and bottles in his tank!

Well... That's long island waters for you :D

Speaking of pigs, I took this pic last night. It's amazing that despite being toppled over by snails and crabs, the yellow suns get caught open in the daytime when food is nowhere around. The black sums are coming around, just not as quickly as the yellow. The tentacles are also getting longer.

E2B486F1-0D01-4FE3-B148-76D3E893D023-147-0000010B70E210CD.jpg

I THINK the black sun has 3 buds growing off of main heads that weren't there when I got it, but I could be mistaken. They're due for a feeding tonight.

Lookin good!

Those yellows were open a lot more than the blacks were for me.

P.S. Hey- how is that pink sponge doing? Did it survive?

Yup! It's doing good. I have it under poor lighting right now so it whitened up quite a bit but am going to get a bulb from home depot to trow over the new sump.

So much #### to buy omgomgomg

I've heard of him before and think I may have read about about him. Pretty cool. I would love to learn to go diving. There's supposedly real cool temperate stuff south of long island/east of new jersey around old wrecks and man made reefs.

Between seeing the guy down the street who catches angels and gobies in a Killie trap in the creek and hearing stories of people finding mantis shrimp near Moriches inlet, there has got to be a ton of fishy-summer vacationers from Florida all around.

My brother has permits for commercial crabbing, clamming and fishing. I wonder how far out those permits stretch and if he would be allowed to collect. Maybe since some of them aren't native there is no law or regulations... I'll have to read up on that.

There are also Lionfish (Pterois) and apparently they are trying to bring their numbers down as there are too many.

I had an article about it on my thread a few days ago.

Lionfish, yes! Hard to believe but they must have come up the coast with the warmer waters of the Gulfstream and now apparently they are getting out of hand and an effort is under way to cull their numbers

Interesting Albert. What page is that on in your thread? I highly doubt it was a lionfish, but I was just overlooking a bridge and there was a brown fish with a large dorsal fin skimming the surface.

I love seeing all these out of the ordinary animals up here but it really can't be any good for the native animals. Atleast most of everythig dies in the winter that doesn't belong.

For a Christmas present if anyone wants to play Santa clause, this has been on my wish list for a while now. ;)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=715

Yeah, I heard about the lionfish thing a few months ago. If you look at almost any florida fish supplier, they will have volitans lions for sale. Apparently people are starting to eat them now too.

And pat, that is going to be a very small Christmas present. I would would wish for one of these:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/DiversDen/ItemD...amp;ddid=156942

And look, it's even on sale! :)

I remember reading a while back that certain people will pay x amount of dollars per speared lionfish. It's like a game now. One guy makes a living just diving around reefs and stabbing them.

Lol, that things been for sale forever! It's so ugly too!

Believe me, I've got a list equal to that price... I'm just gonna go one by one untill everyone buys my stocking list for me fingerscrossed:lol:

Even better, it is a "beginner" fish.

Did you see that cast-iron butterfly fish they had for $2500? I thought that was the upper limit for fish.

For instance, I don't even like softies but I want these.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=644

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=2980

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=2162

Even better, it is a "beginner" fish.

Did you see that cast-iron butterfly fish they had for $2500? I thought that was the upper limit for fish.

How long ago? I must have missed it. My lfs gets some pretty strange/rare things from time to time. They used to have these sharks that looked just like hammerheads but only grew a whopping 2-3'.

Interesting Albert. What page is that on in your thread? I highly doubt it was a lionfish, but I was just overlooking a bridge and there was a brown fish with a large dorsal fin skimming the surface.

I love seeing all these out of the ordinary animals up here but it really can't be any good for the native animals. Atleast most of everythig dies in the winter that doesn't belong.

For a Christmas present if anyone wants to play Santa clause, this has been on my wish list for a while now. ;)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=715

Page 161, Post 3219 towards the bottom of the page, and yes they were Lion Fish .....

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=4009559

Albert

For instance, I don't even like softies but I want these.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=644

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=2980

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=2162

How long ago? I must have missed it. My lfs gets some pretty strange/rare things from time to time. They used to have these sharks that looked just like hammerheads but only grew a whopping 2-3'.

It was like 5 months ago to a year ago. it has been awhile. I assumed somebody bought it or it died of old age.

Ha, I wasn't doubting you Albert. I was just saying I don't think the fish I saw was a lion. I'm gonna take a look at that now, thanks :)

oops sorry I misunderstood (read too fast) ... now I see what you meant.

Yes it is strange indeed and there seem to be more and more and more and more types that suddenly have appeared that far North.

Warmer water and the Gulfstream are IMO the explanation.

Some say or state that it is due to the fact that hobbyist release fish they no longer want, but I don't buy that. There are way too many and too many different species for that to be a fact IMHO.

Exactly. I'm siding with the article. When you think about the huge amount of freshwater tanks being kept, fish being released, small size of ponds and lakes, and general "oh that's a cute fish, let's get it without looking up how big it can get; vs. the relatively small amount of marine tanks,mostof which need to be researched to stay alive and care for, the size of oceans, and general "tree hugging" reefers(fishkeepers)there are, I find it hard to pin it down on hobbiests. Of course there is the exception, with the people keeping who do dispose of overgrown fish improperly, but the odds of the released fish surviving and let alone reproducing is astronomical IMO.

Exactly. I'm siding with the article. When you think about the huge amount of freshwater tanks being kept, fish being released, small size of ponds and lakes, and general "oh that's a cute fish, let's get it without looking up how big it can get; vs. the relatively small amount of marine tanks,mostof which need to be researched to stay alive and care for, the size of oceans, and general "tree hugging" reefers(fishkeepers)there are, I find it hard to pin it down on hobbiests. Of course there is the exception, with the people keeping who do dispose of overgrown fish improperly, but the odds of the released fish surviving and let alone reproducing is astronomical IMO.

Agreed and also take into account that the majority of reef keeping and marine fish keeping hobbyists do NOT live anywhere near the Atlantic Ocean (in this case) and would have no way of "dumping fish in it.

The explanation has to be totally different, and the reasons for the sudden appearance of all those species off the Coast of New Jersey, off Long Island, and even between Long Island and the NY landmass, can IMO not be explained, as some would like to do, by pinning it down on marine hobbyists.

I guess as time passes we'll find some more articles that address the matter and try to come up with explanations that make sure

FWIW

Ups updates suck... My last update says it was in MN as of yesterday, but I signed up for texting updates and it's in nj as of yesterday. :huh: sucks that it's so close yet I'm gonna have to wait atleast the weekend :(

Plus side; if iroll doesn't sell his mp10 by Thursday it's mine, and I don't have to go to my first day of jury duty. I have to call again on Monday though :happydance:

Oh, and TORNADO WATCH!! :haha::scarry:

Archived