Cultivated Reef

Don't want to offend anyone tank.

patback

jedimasterben
I'm not sure if the pistol dieing was a good thing or not. Haha. When I saw him he was eating like a pig. I would say it is possible that a parasite is involved, but he's had the fish for a few months now. it's probably about 2.5-3 inches long.

Long goby is long. ;)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So this guy I know has a tiny goby. I have no idea what kind, but it is pure black, a big head like a clown goby, but a body and personality of a watchman. He breaks his tank down after every summer, so should I take it? If its too similar and my existing goby doesn't like it, I can sump it or just give it away.

Is this what that Black Goby Looks like?

gobyblack.png

Yes, well, sorta. The one I was talking about was a midnight black, that's how dark it was.

* second drumroll*

1D5B86AF-5AFE-40EF-8D69-8D9B9DF9066F-572-0000010C5238FD98.jpg

* still drumming*

5B015AF1-B2C1-47FA-B4E8-6DF8E9A514C0-572-0000010C5C0EBD5B.jpg

826F33C0-4711-4023-B304-9D2D7728DDED-572-0000010B7569E842.jpg

3801DB05-CE9D-427A-BFCB-B93D5358909A-572-0000010B84CB3835.jpg

They're still giving out thermometers too :)

Yes, well, sorta. The one I was talking about was a midnight black, that's how dark it was.

Now that IS what I call a great looking tank for Sure. Wow ! that's a beaut!

Thanks guys. I need to meet up with kgoldy tomorow, then hopefully I'll get a rock scape going so I can figure out where I want to drill :scarry: I'm pretty nervous. I've also got to finish the doors, trim, and stain my stand.

I'll take pictures of the scape before I start to drill, just in case.

Albert, that fish is pretty darn close. Do you know te species of that one?

Thanks guys. I need to meet up with kgoldy tomorow, then hopefully I'll get a rock scape going so I can figure out where I want to drill :scarry: I'm pretty nervous. I've also got to finish the doors, trim, and stain my stand.

I'll take pictures of the scape before I start to drill, just in case.

Albert, that fish is pretty darn close. Do you know te species of that one?

I believe that one is just commonly referred to as a Black Goby, but I do not think that it is the one you have.

If I find the scientific name for the one you have I will let you know, although you may already have that.

I met k goldy for the first time today. Let me just say that he is a very nice guy and his tank is amazing. It has more life in it than most tanks twice it's size. After getting licked to death by his dogs I got some chaeto, pink sponge, black sun coral and a frag of regular orange/yellow sun coral. Awesome stuff and he definitely hooked me up.

A8E8F7C1-0998-4B11-8332-29421C0B4342-1507-000002140E6B702F.jpg

The lights are off for the night and I will put them in the back corner for now until the tank is set up.

Ordered my eheim 1000 and another bulkhead, waiting for the shipment of black Hawaiian sand, and need to order an mp10 and I will be set on everything i think. I cut a wrong angle with trim, so I need to pick up another one f those at home depot. All in all, this is finally starting to take shape.

My plan is to run the tank with the mp10 once I get it to see how the sand is handled and to find the sweet spot for the water level BEFORE I drill. I hear drill holes are more or less permenant. :P

jedimasterben
Ordered my eheim 1000 and another bulkhead, waiting for the shipment of black Hawaiian sand, and need to order an mp10 and I will be set on everything i think. I cut a wrong angle with trim, so I need to pick up another one f those at home depot. All in all, this is finally starting to take shape.

My plan is to run the tank with the mp10 once I get it to see how the sand is handled and to find the sweet spot for the water level BEFORE I drill. I hear drill holes are more or less permenant. :P

Psh, nothing a glob of silicone cant fix! :lol:

The mp10 needs to be 2" below the water line so it doesnt suck in air and gurgle, which will send microbubbles into your tank.

Forgot to tell ya, pat- if you wanna spoil those suns (like I clearly never did) - Put a rocks glass in the tank, face the pumps away, and cover em with food. When they open up, use a small baster to disturb the food and blow it up into their tentacles... or just dump more food on em. It's possible to train them to extend for food during the day too.

Thanks. Since it is such a shallow tank, itll be hard to find a sweetspot but apparently possible as others have done it. I am worried that the sand won't work, but I have faith. Worst comes to worst, I'll pull the sand out :(. I also want to see how high I can get the water level and drain at without any of the wave motions spilling out.

I'm using a 1" bulkhead with a relatively small pump, so hopefully clogs won't be an issue with the display overflowing. Im hoping to keep the level higher than usual. It sucks that I have to wait to buy the most expensive equipment before I drill. omgomgomg

Thanks. The suns are doing great. Ate the first night, and again after lights were on the next day. I'm gonna shoot for feeding then every other day, so tonight I'll squeeze a little mysis and cyclops their way. Btw, you gave me a few zoanthids on the orange ones :P kat, what did you normally feed yours?

The orange ones are in a somewhat shaded area and partially opened for most of the day, just not all the way.

Those guys eat everything meaty. Most responsive to cyclops with garlic.... but probably ate spectrum pellets more than anything.

Cool. A lot of people have told me pellets are no good for coral but I started feeding omega one with garlic a while ago to my candy cane and it quadrupled In size. I'll try some pellets tonight and see how they like it.

I was wondering which I should believe. The coralife temp probe I have has recently been jumping all over the place, but it is somewhat true since when I leave the door shut and ac off it raises and when put the ac on it lowers. It never goes below 79, but routinely goes above 85. I got the glass thermometer when i bought this tank with the blue (mercury?) fluid an it has been reading a constant 80 degrees both day and night. Which would you trust?

Archived