Pod Your Reef

Don't want to offend anyone tank.

patback

albertthiel
Diatoms are a fairly natural part of the process, you'll get some as nitrate and phosphate rise from stuff breaking down (especially food)

Yes indeed and I now have a second outbreak of them though all water changes are with RO/DI and I have Chemi-Pure in the system and carbon.

Guess I need to siphon them out and get those nitrates and phosphates lower

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully it doesn't get out of hand though. I plan on a beefed up cuc. Lots of nassarius since I will be feeding my nps more heavily, and probably 3-4 turbos to keep the glass clean along with whatever else reefcleaners recommends. (oh, and Jedi, that blue shroom is finally starting to bud I think, if you still want it )

Good news is, I asked a simple question to jt, another member with a 12L, mp10, and sand. I asked " what kind of sand do you use, or better yet, what grain size?". He gave me more information than I could handle! Here's his response:

No problem patback! I am using 20lbs of Tropic of Eden Reeflakes from Premium Aquatics and the approximate grain size between 1-1.5mm which is very consistent and very clean from the start. I love it. I used to have just fine sugar sand and was cool with the look but any amount of flow would create storms which in turn was hard to clean the tank without stirring it up.

Good question, which was something I had to play around with overtime and finally found the perfect location for the MP10. I have it horizontally positioned between the front glass and overflow box. It is vertically positioned 70% off the substrate, 20% below water line and 30% below rim of the tank.

Later on as I introduced both shrimps they would get sucked into the mp10 and lost their claws. This is without any foam cover on the mp10. So I took that foam cover that's included with the mp10 and cut in half around the perimeter, now that helps keep inverts out and to keep debris and food sucked in and thrown out without being caught in the foam cover. It also reduces the substrate directly underneath to float upwards. I can only max the mp10 out at 70% before the water line reaches the rim. But even that is just too much flow for my inhabitants liking, they start to look like they are trapped in a endless toilet bowl being flushed :P

A bit wordy but hope that helped!

So I know that doesn't mean it will work in my tank, but hopefully I could use his tank as a guideline of what to aim for.

Trying to get my shtuff in order... which would be best for this tank?

-Purple anthias (really want a lyretail, but oh well)

- black ocellaris/snowflake pair

-sixline (worried about my clam and inverts)

-flasher wrasse

I want to sort of push the envelope on this tanks inhabitants, since it is 3 feet long. I would like to try a fish that likes to swim yet is small enough to turn comfortably and not create too large of a bioload.

jedimasterben
Trying to get my shtuff in order... which would be best for this tank?

-Purple anthias (really want a lyretail, but oh well)

- black ocellaris/snowflake pair

-sixline (worried about my clam and inverts)

-flasher wrasse

I want to sort of push the envelope on this tanks inhabitants, since it is 3 feet long. I would like to try a fish that likes to swim yet is small enough to turn comfortably and not create too large of a bioload.

The anthias needs much more space than 12g can provide, even with the unusual length. Anthias usually do much better in groups, and require unusually large tanks - a 125g is recommended minimum for keeping a trio of lyretail anthias. They are very active and require constant feedings - three times per day minimum. I feed mine 3-6 times per day.

The clowns would need more space - people always argue that they don't move around much, but they don't seem to thrive in less than a standard 15g tank, with pairs needing a bit more space. They'd be ok if they were juveniles, but you would eventually need to move them to a larger home (would probably take around a year though, so you'd have time ;) ).

Sixline would be ok I think, but they are very active and need lots of pods.

Even the smallest flasher wrasses are very active and need much bigger spaces, and I've never seen juveniles for sale, only adults, so I think they may not be the best choice.

I pretty much just shat on your parade lol. Are you gonna make a mesh top? If so, I'd recommend a purple (or even a regular) firefish, barnacle blenny(ies). Barnacle blennies are freakin awesome. I want to get a whole bunch for my big tank, but I can never find them anywhere. :(

albertthiel
I pretty much just shat on your parade lol. Are you gonna make a mesh top? If so, I'd recommend a purple (or even a regular) firefish, barnacle blenny(ies). Barnacle blennies are freakin awesome. I want to get a whole bunch for my big tank, but I can never find them anywhere. :(

This one maybe Ben :

BlennyBarnacleSmall.png

The anthias needs much more space than 12g can provide, even with the unusual length. Anthias usually do much better in groups, and require unusually large tanks - a 125g is recommended minimum for keeping a trio of lyretail anthias. They are very active and require constant feedings - three times per day minimum. I feed mine 3-6 times per day.

The clowns would need more space - people always argue that they don't move around much, but they don't seem to thrive in less than a standard 15g tank, with pairs needing a bit more space. They'd be ok if they were juveniles, but you would eventually need to move them to a larger home (would probably take around a year though, so you'd have time ;) ).

Sixline would be ok I think, but they are very active and need lots of pods.

Even the smallest flasher wrasses are very active and need much bigger spaces, and I've never seen juveniles for sale, only adults, so I think they may not be the best choice.

Pooh :(. I thought I was safe with the flasher because alto recommended it. And yes, I will have a mesh top.

What would you recomend for a fish that is an active swimmer? I was thinking a handful of chromis but that right there puts me over the limit, especially if I dose phyto. I heard that five is the lucky number to keep the pecking order from becoming the killing order, and that they don't do well by themselves.

jedimasterben
Pooh :(. I thought I was safe with the flasher because alto recommended it. And yes, I will have a mesh top.

What would you recomend for a fish that is an active swimmer? I was thinking a handful of chromis but that right there puts me over the limit, especially if I dose phyto. I heard that five is the lucky number to keep the pecking order from becoming the killing order, and that they don't do well by themselves.

Which flasher wrasse? There are loads of them, but I don't remember seeing any that were not very active fish, I think that the 12g total volume is just too little for them. :/

Correct about the chromis, and two would be too much for the tank as they grow, especially if they decided to grow and match the 4-4.5" behemoths at one of my LFS. :scarry:

I'd definitely recommend a firefish, they will hide for a while, but once they are used to their surroundings, they are pretty active.

jedimasterben
I'll THINK about a firefish(maybe). They just don't really do it for me and I would honestly probably just end up trading it for somthing else. Here's te link that alto and I were discussing fish:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=302927&hl=

And yes, I 360d on my wrasse opinion ;)

lol, I do that all the time!

Alto knows her stuff, so maybe the smaller wrasses would do well in there, I just don't know about long-term with any of them. I'm not as well-versed in wrasses as I am others.

I want a small wrasse but not sure if it's going to go after my sexy shrimp or what.

Pat, have you thought of a shrimp/gobi pair? Not very active I'll admit but cute none the less.

I've already got a YWG and pistol. It would be cool to get a second type of goby however and see if they share the pistol shrimp.

Speedy delivery. I honesty didn't expect this for another few days to be honest. I wonder if they're trying to copy a certain media basket seller...

Blue lettered tape?

0fb0bb88.jpg

<s> Swedish fish<s/>Gobstoppers??

40001222.jpg

albertthiel
Speedy delivery. I honesty didn't expect this for another few days to be honest. I wonder if they're trying to copy a certain media basket seller...

Odd packaging indeed !

Hopefully though what came in the box was in good shape even with the Wonky fillers :-)

I bought 5 and within a few days 2 were killed off. The 3 I have left now have been in there without any problems for 3 months now. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you were still looking.

I've already got a YWG and pistol. It would be cool to get a second type of goby however and see if they share the pistol shrimp.

I wouldnt try to put any other species of gobies in with the YWG in a tank that size. They are very territorial and the YWG will fight for his space. They will definitely not share the pistol.

I bought 5 and within a few days 2 were killed off. The 3 I have left now have been in there without any problems for 3 months now. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you were still looking.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I may upgrade the size of the sump so that I could keep a few more smaller sized fish than normal. The 10 gallon sump doesn't really add much water, but I'm sure a 20 would. Maybe I'll steal my brothers 15 high.

And Albert, everything in the box was good. Very thorough directions with a hint of sarcasm/ comedy. Only thing though, I forgot to order the one inch bulkhead :slap: I remembered the gasket an even a second replacment gasket, but I have nothing to put them in. I'm gonna stop by the lfs and see if they have one tomorrow.

It's weird owning stuff stuff like this, it makes my tank build feel so official. :P

jedimasterben
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I may upgrade the size of the sump so that I could keep a few more smaller sized fish than normal. The 10 gallon sump doesn't really add much water, but I'm sure a 20 would. Maybe I'll steal my brothers 15 high.

And Albert, everything in the box was good. Very thorough directions with a hint of sarcasm/ comedy. Only thing though, I forgot to order the one inch bulkhead :slap: I remembered the gasket an even a second replacment gasket, but I have nothing to put them in. I'm gonna stop by the lfs and see if they have one tomorrow.

It's weird owning stuff stuff like this, it makes my tank build feel so official. :P

lol. I ordered from them but never used any of the stuff! Whoops!

albertthiel

HD or Lowe's maybe .. ? or another DIY store ... Ace? They should have them.

HD or Lowe's maybe .. ? or another DIY store ... Ace? They should have them.

I have small versions of all those stores around me. They are all condensed. When I first got into saltwater, I wanted to plumb a 30 gallon and all they had were "bulkheads" with styrofoam gaskets. The plastic itself was also very flimsy. I think it was meant for electrical conduit.

Blue lettered tape?

<s> Swedish fish<s/>Gobstoppers??

Ya but no GFY sticker or personal messages. so it's a bad copy.

Ya but no GFY sticker or personal messages. so it's a bad copy.

Au contraire mon Cheri.

fdb92006.jpg

Only one of those messages may have been forged.

Archived