Coral Vue Hydros

Don't want to offend anyone tank.

patback

Where is the coralife probe in relation to the mercury(?) thermometer? Other than my RKE, every digital thermometer I've ever tried gave me wacky, bouncing temperatures... I eventually decided to just assume temps are okay if the livestock still looks good.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are both in the intake section of my ac 70. Before I got the glass thermometer when I first saw 85 everything was doing fine also. I think I'll just chuck the probe.

Reading along with interest...that Mr Aqua 3' long's a beauty. Going open on the top, or planning a mesh/screen/cover?

I cheat on the thermometer front. The Fluval E50 in my tank has a digital one built in and it seems accurate (tested each month versus the read of an infrared temp gun against the rockwork). But I'd favor the mercury one over the coralife in your case.

As for pellets, some people turn up their nose at feeding them to their tank. As for me, every other feeding I grind up a pinch or two of NLS pellets and use a baster to broadcast it with the filtration pump off (just circulation running). EVERYTHING in the tank...crabs/shrimp, micro brittle stars, fish, LPS corals and most of the zoanthids go absolutely nuts for the 3-5 minutes that particles are visible in the water.

Pellets are fine and dandy as one of the staple foods in a varied feeding regimen...you just may have to tinker with the pellet size to allow them to be eaten. When buying, look on the side panel, the better formulations read like a freeze-dried stew of what we normally go out of our way to acquire and feed as frozen.

Exactly my thinking on the pellets. The only thing that hasn't enjoyed them has been my torch, but then again it doesn't enjoy anything else I ever fed. It usually eats a little bit and then slimes the rest off.

Thanks for the compliment. A few reviews had Said that the corners were sloppy on these tanks, but I am a happy camper right now. You can barely see the silicone at all and it is perfectly constructed. Well worth the money I'd say. Untill I buy more fish it'll be open but will be CORRECTLY building a mesh top. I say correctly because my last one was so ugly that I never used it. Lol.

I've also kept an infrared temp gun from back when I kept geckos. I let my girlfriend borrow it and that was the end of it. 50 dollar gun just vanished out of thin air :(

Doh! I too know the pain of toys going walkabout when "borrowed" by the SO. My condolences.

Tank snobs think that if it isn't on par with an ADA a tank's worthless... The Mr Aquas are a perfectly good anwer for a rimless, in-some-cases low-iron nano tank at about 1/3 the cost and usually decent workmanship. That savings can allow you some serious leeway on being able to afford that perfect coral/fish/crab/whatever.

Besides, I've seen some people take the plainest oem/petco glass box and turn it into a freaking work of art in this hobby. The make of the tank's just a part of the equation, not the sum.

I love this tank. Wish it was low iron, but ehh, I can live with it :). This is still not Too common of a tank shape. I think I'm heading in a different direction than most people too. No offense to anyone, but almost all of these tanks I've seen have a cookie cutter type rock scape. I haven't seen any like the one I've got right now. I think I'm gonna go up to home depot in the morning to finish the damn stand so I can snap a picture of it before I stain it. Sorry to everyone for this brig such a slow build.

Other news, I shoulda listened to k goldy. I didn't wear gloves when handling his chaeto since it was a last minute thing and my pinky is numb right now. Kris, what type of macro is that long flat leafy type mixed in with the pink sponge? I've never seen that type before, I like it.

jedimasterben

Have you thought about making an external overflow? I know you're only planning on a PVC elbow, but it would look better than having a bulkhead and crap. All you'd need is a dremel and a cutting bit. And steady hands, those too.

I thought about ordering a life reef but the thing is since its such a narrow tank, an overflow box would take up some valuable space.

jedimasterben

Any overflow will be way too large, really for any tank. I hate that my tank's overflow takes up an entire corner of the tank. I originally wanted to make my own out of glass and drill the tank myself, and it would be a small one, just a few inches larger than the bulkhead.

I'm at work so can't get all of them, but as requested here are some iPhone pics of my sps pack kittykat sent me. I think the pokerstar is getting too much light, so I purposely didn't snap a recent pic of it :P I am updating corals on this thread since my current tank changed from display tank to more of a holding tank for frags.

Some IMO, awesome polyp extension

BD0F89C3-CDD6-4CBE-8F00-9D47FDAE3BC8-499-000000651F916B12.jpg

Don't mind the pokerstar in te foreground, I think I need to move it down.

5A869D91-CF42-44F6-8B68-DD0A63BE1237-499-000000652B2D36FF.jpg

Gaining color back after shrimp incidents.

61BE8237-F44A-4213-B13C-3C32ED164EA1-499-000000653B611F38.jpg

Lights off

D8623A27-4FAB-4595-A091-A6ED363EA809-499-000000675B107849.jpg

Here's a shot of the pokerstar just to show what i want it to look like.

56B1E337-8E7F-4B8F-851C-B849D2682359-499-00000067647DE0BB.jpg

Thank you! I know for the most part exactly where I want these. I've been saying it for three days now, but tomorrow I WILL go to homedepot and finish my stand. I don't think I'm going to keep my zoas. If I do, probably just a tiny sample of each. Anybody want some?

Eagle eyes

radioactive dragon

Purple (death?) palys

2 types of Unknowns

Pink zippers

I'm at work so can't get all of them, but as requested here are some iPhone pics of my sps pack kittykat sent me. I think the pokerstar is getting too much light, so I purposely didn't snap a recent pic of it :P I am updating corals on this thread since my current tank changed from display tank to more of a holding tank for frags.

Looking good and nice polyp extensions !

I've also got a ~5 inch piece of rock covered in Xenia that I'd give away to somebody local if they were interested in the polyps. If I had to guess from memory it's got 5 or 6 full stalks and maybe a few runners.

Thank you very much, sir!

I've also got a ~5 inch piece of rock covered in Xenia that I'd give away to somebody local if they were interested in the polyps. If I had to guess from memory it's got 5 or 6 full stalks and maybe a few runners.

Thank you very much, sir!

With all the members on this forum patback I am sure someone will take them .. I am a bit far away (GA) and if what I remember from previous messages you are in the NY/NJ area correct?

Anyway back to your tank: LOOKING GREAT.

Thanks Albert. Yes, I am in ny. Hopefully someone can save a few bucks by forgoing a pet store but if not my local high school is pretty good about taking in donations.

I've got a probably really stupid question that'll make all of you think less of me. So I got the eheim 1000. What should I be looking for when I attempt to connect it to my 3/4 inch bulkhead from gl#######s? The pump has a 5/8" output.

Thanks Albert. Yes, I am in ny. Hopefully someone can save a few bucks by forgoing a pet store but if not my local high school is pretty good about taking in donations.

I've got a probably really stupid question that'll make all of you think less of me. So I got the eheim 1000. What should I be looking for when I attempt to connect it to my 3/4 inch bulkhead from gl#######s? The pump has a 5/8" output.

Yes I am sure you will find a taker payback ...

On your question, if I understand it correctly you want to go from 3/4 inch on one end to 5/8 on the other end.

I would get Barbs ... one that fits on the 3/4 inch side, and another barb that fits on the 5/8 side, then run flex tubing between the two barbs and hold the flex hose in place with clamps (I would use the plastic one that you press together and that sort of look like a ratchet type closure so that when you put it over the hose you can press it tightly together and hold the flex tube you slid over the barbs in place.

You can put some Teflon tape around the barb before sliding the flex hose over it.

If it is tight, stick the end of the flex hose in boiling water and it will become soft and expand as you push it over the barb.

Not sure whether you need a slip on barb or a screw on barb as I do not know what the ends you are working with look like but the pieces will look like this:

If you go to this link and scroll down till you get to the male and female barbs you will find what you need.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvc.html

They may even have one that fits the 3/4 on one side and ends with a slip on 5/8 so your flex tube will fit on the barb easier without having to put the flex in boiling water. Then look for what you determined you need at HD or Lowe's. Note that sometimes if you cannot find what you need as just 1 piece, talk to someone there who knows plumbing pieces and he or she can probably get you two pieces that will end up giving you what you need.

Hope I did not confuse you ...

Albert

Thanks Albert. I'll ask around hd tomorow. I just got a little worried because marine depot and brs both didn't have any barbs or adapters that hooked up to 5/8s. I think I'm gonna play it safe and brig the pump itself with me to try out what fits and what doesn't.

After a real heavy feeding of mysis, cyclops, reefcleaners formula, and pellets. I wonder why the tentacles are so short on these guys?

08DDBA39-5BB6-477A-B053-175B8CD3F6E2-1482-000001C023ABDF80.jpg

EF9B3322-04BC-43DB-B4AE-1ABB9D998B18-1482-000001BFFBDFC7CB.jpg

And tiki, if you read this thread at all, that majano I was trying to have id'd a while ago is in the background.

Thanks Albert. I'll ask around hd tomorow. I just got a little worried because marine depot and brs both didn't have any barbs or adapters that hooked up to 5/8s. I think I'm gonna play it safe and brig the pump itself with me to try out what fits and what doesn't.

That would IMO be the best thing to do indeed and then find someone at HD who understand plumbing and all the possible fittings so you can get what you need.

And of course they sell the flex hose too, unless you have that Eheim Green one they used in the past and maybe still use

Good luck. I am sure you'll find what you need.

jedimasterben
After a real heavy feeding of mysis, cyclops, reefcleaners formula, and pellets. I wonder why the tentacles are so short on these guys?

08DDBA39-5BB6-477A-B053-175B8CD3F6E2-1482-000001C023ABDF80.jpg

EF9B3322-04BC-43DB-B4AE-1ABB9D998B18-1482-000001BFFBDFC7CB.jpg

And tiki, if you read this thread at all, that majano I was trying to have id'd a while ago is in the background.

Feed moar. MOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Lol, I'm worried about a tank crash from the amount I'm feeding these bad boys. Full cube of both mysis and cyclops, equivelant of a "cube" of reefcleaners, and the pellets. I think I know why the tentacles are so short, they're filled with food to the point Of bursting!! omgomgomg

The only thing that escaped their grasp was a few pellets and the powder.

jedimasterben
Lol, I'm worried about a tank crash from the amount I'm feeding these bad boys. Full cube of both mysis and cyclops, equivelant of a "cube" of reefcleaners, and the pellets. I think I know why the tentacles are so short, they're filled with food to the point Of bursting!! omgomgomg

The only thing that escaped their grasp was a few pellets and the powder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-direct-sal...f#ht_500wt_1180

and

sugar.jpg

Archived