Innovative Marine Aquariums

Don't want to offend anyone tank.

patback

jedimasterben
I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know all the deets, but would some kind of reef-safe flasher wrasse be okay as a "showpiece"? McCoskers are my faves. <3

His tank is only 12g, so it's really not big enough for most wrasses (really, any wrasse, they are swimmers).

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know all the deets, but would some kind of reef-safe flasher wrasse be okay as a "showpiece"? McCoskers are my faves. <3

I was thinking of a Pygmy wrasse, but have a lot more thinking to do. A sixline or carpenters would be cool, but everything else I want is/will be pretty timid and I don't want bully's. I'm also worried about the teeny inverts I'll have. (I waited MONTHS before I finally drove almost an hour to kgoldys house to pick up some coral and finally got some mini brittles. )

Just be cautious when collecting anything from the wild - you never know if it's gonna bring in parasites or bacteria that could wreak havoc in your system. You probably will never have enough asterina stars in a 12g to keep a pair of harleys for very long. They are surprising with how much they eat.

That cucumber is badass. Want.

I love inverts, too. Same boat here! Porcelain anemone crabs are awesome if you only have carpets (otherwise they can irritate the tentacles), pom pom crabs are friggin' amazing, harlequin serpent stars are awesome, sexy shrimp (as you know), fire shrimp, feather dusters, and the other inverts I love get too big for nanos. :P

+1 Ben, there are so many "amazing" creatures available right now besides what many hobbyists keep that compared to years ago when I was totally involved in the hobby as a manufacturer, I am amazed at what is now offered for sale, or what comes in on Live Rock that we never used to see in the past.

With all those unusual organisms that can now be kept, I wonder if specialized tanks where those types are kept are the next thing to come about.

We already have pest tanks with Mantis shrimp, and tanks with all kinds of species of Majanos (islandoftiki's tank is one example of those), thanks with frog fish and anglers, tanks with medusa hydroids, and I am sure many more.

What I am personally tempted to set up is another tank in which the only fish kept are those small Lion Fish such as the Fuzzy one: Dendrochirus brachypterus, that I have seen in several colors and that do not require large aquariums.

Just for informational purposes here is an article by Frank Martini, Ph. D. on the captive care of Lionfish:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/

Anyway just my two cents.

BTW did you happen to see that post of mine on the Reefbrite 3 W Blue LED used for Moonlight but that does give a little blue tint to the tank during the day. What is your opinion on that light as I got it yesterday but am not sure I want to keep it as having just 1 LED it does not do "very" much ... thanks for letting me know.

And pom poms are NOT ugly! They are amazing!

+1 they are IMO amazing indeed ..

I don't want a broken one :D.

I think im just gonna buy new unless a super super good price comes along. I was the highest bidder for 3 days at 174.50 plus shipping, and this bozo came around and bid 197.00. Maybe he wanted to beat a reserve or somthing, but why not just buy new at that point?

Really sucks because I'm waiting to drill my tank untill I see how the flow works at what levels with the mp10. Guess I gotta wait a bit longer.

Unrelated note, I got 2 yahtzees in my first ever game. Scored a whopping 400 even. B)

I'd recommend buying new... I have spent a pretty penny replacing wetsides- and it would have been much more if I didn't keep my receipts with the dates on 'em. I've seriously bought new wetsides only to have them jam and eff up within a week, and pretty much destroy themselves pretty quickly.

Got my ato today and it was pretty banged up. If it works Im not gonna make a deal of it though.

CABA9142-6586-4ADA-8543-E930B0CCB87E-410-000000252AB1132C.jpg

8476A5A6-624E-4341-B3BF-A22D934FF319-410-0000002503B32308.jpg

You can see there is plastic peeling up on the sensor 1 and 2 lines.

An where has this big guy been hiding all this time? Larger than a quarter.

528EAF1B-D9C9-494D-80BC-84F05CEA0032-410-0000002553A5BAB1.jpg

Deleted User 3

@ the starfish... i have one in there about the same size.. and he BLENDS in with my rock, i never notice he's there (the BRS rock w/ the coralline & browning, not the live). Also that sucks with the plastic peeling up, in the long run thats gonna come off. :(

This is the second one I say today. I tried picking one up this morning with a turkey Baster to drop in some algae but dropped it in my maxi mini instead :P

Sucks that the plastic is scratched up, it's a relatively expensive piece and I would have liked to keep it nice for a good resale value. Over time its probably going to look like crap and real beat up.

In other news, what's got two thumbs and wormed his way out of jury duty today?

Jedi, I know you said TMS would be a bad idea in this tank, so check out the grain size I got in this sand. It's one "grain" of Hawaiian black next to one grain of sand in my existing tank. A hurricane isn't even going to move this sand let alone an mp10 :D

E3D6E45B-9E91-47A9-81BF-51D3EA11A99C-147-0000000C88DA1D4A.jpg

Jedi, I know you said TMS would be a bad idea in this tank, so check out the grain size I got in this sand. It's one "grain" of Hawaiian black next to one grain of sand in my existing tank. A hurricane isn't even going to move this sand let alone an mp10 :D

That's no moon sand... ;)

Some black sand is somewhat magnetic and some is part lava rock ... not sure if that it the one you got but what I see look kind of large for a grain of sand, it looks more like an agglomeration of a number of particles or one of the two that I described.

Are you sure this is what you call it ? Looks odd to me too just as Jedi mentioned

It is arag-alive by caribsea. Specifically hawiian black. I tested it with my mag floats and it is not magnetic.

Thanks, it just seems large but I guess maybe the pic is a bit deceiving in gauging the exact size.

Hope it works out for you patback

I'm pretty sure it'll work out well for me.

Gotta stay up until 5 so I can actually not sleep in through my alarm for work. Had a late night tonight... I was actually around kgoldys neck of the woods for the best mo'effin quesadilla I have ever had, then hit up a bar. No idea where it was and we had entertainment all night long between the apparently regular customer that gets so drunk that he face planted into a parked Prius , a sidewalk, and the bar floor; watching two prostitutes attempt to work their charm on the bouncers because they were underage and not allowed in.. The night was interesting. Let's leave it at that.

Might as well spend this time updating... Pretty much everythig is the same. The protein skimmer is breaking in right now, doing a decent job making a greenish soupy mixture. About half the collection cup is full after a day.

I'm still working on my scape, so no pictures yet...

I got my ato as said above, mounted it in its position.

So yeah... Nothing too good is going on tank wise.

Gotta stay up until 5 so I can actually not sleep in through my alarm for work. Had a late night tonight... I was actually around kgoldys neck of the woods for the best mo'effin quesadilla I have ever had, then hit up a bar. No idea where it was and we had entertainment all night long between the apparently regular customer that gets so drunk that he face planted into a parked Prius , a sidewalk, and the bar floor; watching two prostitutes attempt to work their charm on the bouncers because they were underage and not allowed in.. The night was interesting. Let's leave it at that.

Might as well spend this time updating... Pretty much everythig is the same. The protein skimmer is breaking in right now, doing a decent job making a greenish soupy mixture. About half the collection cup is full after a day.

I'm still working on my scape, so no pictures yet...

OUCH. :huh:

I almost did the black sand thing. I really like the way it looks. :D

also, I have the same ATO, I like it so far.

I got my ato as said above, mounted it in its position.

So yeah... Nothing too good is going on tank wise.

Where exactly were ya? Sounds like a fantastic night to me!

We went to cabos for dinner. It was a little bit past you but if you like Mexican and alcohol I reccomend tryin it out if you haven't already. As for the bar I just googled the place we were at and somehow we wound up going all the way back to smithtown, lol. I think it was called black smiths.

Archived