ReefCleaners.org

Don't want to offend anyone tank.

patback

Pat, I don't know if you're a numbers guy. Heck you're a guy, you must be into numbers. Not the kind at the bar, ha ha.

With my tank consumption before a sump:

Water Per Gallon 3.5 G WC Monthly Yearly

Petco $1.67 $6.00 $24.00 $312.00

RO/DI $125.00 $0.00 $120.00

LFS Salted $2.00 $8.00 $32.00 $416.00

Distilled $0.89 $2.75 $11.00 $132.00

After a sump, my WC + top off is about 8 gallons a week, so it adds up.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes that is a super price indeed and would save one a lot of money on buying RO/DI at an LFS or other place and then not even knowing how "good" it is as those place seem to be "lax" in maintenance on their RO/DI generating set-ups, as some apparently have found out from what I read on some of the posts here and on other forums e.g. RC.

I do not have one yet, I should but do not, and when I get ready I'll go for a 4 stage one for sure

I got the 90 gallon per day 5 stage "RO/DI Maxcap" from Spectrapure and hooked it up about two years ago... I been using about 20 gallons per week for my ATO, and haven't changed a single filter yet. (Other than filling the tank for the first time, and one massive water change, it hasn't had any other significant usage). Still getting close to 0 ppm out of the first stage. Depending on the time of year our Long Island water pushes about 30-50 ppm out of the pipes, I'm not sure how this compares to the rest of the country.

I think I had (like Pat) been paying a dollar per gallon when I set up my first BioCube... Once I moved to the big system and hooked up the Spectrapure, the thing paid for itself in something like two and a half months.

Pre organizing but scape down, water in.

C8815D89-C3F5-4B6C-9D06-5D99CD2C99F9-7759-0000096D7E72C502.jpg

I'm currently waiting for the water to heat up, but Im waiting to transfer everything over an getting anxious. I've also got a new little buddy, an extreme misbar to the point of being almost a naked. He's got just a tiny little dot near each gill. I may go back and get the black misbar he was with but he was more than double the price and my budget is tight right now.

43179CDE-FEB9-41FB-8468-DDFAAE08210A-7759-0000097010EE2098.jpg

Yup, this tank finally has kick asss on it!!! Thanks for NOT being nakey when you took that pic. lol

I got the 90 gallon per day 5 stage "RO/DI Maxcap" from Spectrapure and hooked it up about two years ago... I been using about 20 gallons per week for my ATO, and haven't changed a single filter yet. (Other than filling the tank for the first time, and one massive water change, it hasn't had any other significant usage). Still getting close to 0 ppm out of the first stage. Depending on the time of year our Long Island water pushes about 30-50 ppm out of the pipes, I'm not sure how this compares to the rest of the country.

I think I had (like Pat) been paying a dollar per gallon when I set up my first BioCube... Once I moved to the big system and hooked up the Spectrapure, the thing paid for itself in something like two and a half months.

Yes indeed, with that kind of unit you are indeed getting great water quality it seems and saving a bundle too. Way to go !

Haha spiro. With the window behind me you see EVERYTHING in the reflection. Speaking of everything...(and reflections)

(broke a few times, so I've got about 3 teensy tiny frags)

47A01B3E-5361-4028-B76A-55AA85A2010A-131-0000000715443D4C.jpg

(first to be acclimated in... Never even closed)

7141FC31-0465-4D7A-9350-3814AC9B57E3-131-000000071CD9C2F3.jpg

2A0404B1-E41C-4F97-AA1C-BBE3D7EFCFFD-131-0000000724A5802B.jpg

A real glarey picture. I'm gonna have to get some black out curtains for my room I guess.

BB579A7C-3D24-4276-8FBB-101B919358DC-131-000000072C6CB079.jpg

Ive been at tank related things since 730 this morning. Next on the to do list is taking down the old tank and stand, cleaning everything out, storing it for a hospital tank, Hanging the lights over the 12L, rearranging some corals, cleaning my room since its a mess now, then off to cvs for some glue. Whew! Lot of stuff for/from a nano tank.

Kris, I'm glad I made you laugh :lol:

Kat and Albert, I definitely want to get one. It's just one of those things that I say "next week, I'll rather go out tonight." And then that always turns into te week after an so on and so forth.

Also, here is the first ever side by side picture showing how these caribean brains differ due to lighting. Left was kept in moderate light, right was~ 5 inches from the water surface under 36 3 watt LEDs ran at 75% 7-8" above a ten gallon. The higher light is like a bright teal under aquarium lights while the lower light is a nice red with a greenish blue center and stripes on the rim. It also glows nicer under moonlights.

CD61F493-71E6-42A3-A8D1-31B05C0E9DCC-131-0000000EBCAD2693.jpg

Also, here is the first ever side by side picture showing how these caribean brains differ due to lighting. Left was kept in moderate light, right was~ 5 inches from the water surface under 36 3 watt LEDs ran at 75% 7-8" above a ten gallon. The higher light is like a bright teal under aquarium lights while the lower light is a nice red with a greenish blue center and stripes on the rim. It also glows nicer under moonlights.

CD61F493-71E6-42A3-A8D1-31B05C0E9DCC-131-0000000EBCAD2693.jpg

Nice and yes the light must have affected the coloration and the zoox must now be of a different color ...

So big moving day ... maybe since it is around 2:00 you are actually done ... Like those Candy C's that did not even close when you moved them ... mine do close as soon as I touch them or move them out of the way of the Duncan as I had to do the other day ... NICE pics also in the other post payback !

jedimasterben
Nice and yes the light must have affected the coloration and the zoox must now be of a different color ...

Zooxanthellae are all brown or tan in color.

These are the photosynthetic pigments they have, what the peak absorption wavelengths are, and what color they reflect. Most zooxanthellae have several of these pigments combined, so the colors are all combined, and make brown. :)

Untitled-1-1.jpg

That torch matches Nakey. BTW don't get freaked if he shows black spots. Clowns gets sting marks from Euphyllia initially, then slowly their bodies adjust and the hyperpigmentation fades.

Thanks for the heads up kat. If I see that happen ill try to refrain from making a "wats rwong with my clown$@&!" thread. He hasn't settled in the torch yet. He's tried my palys , Favia, and right now the vortech. I'm hoping he picks the torch. :fingerscrossed:

Here's a pic of my YWG after the ride inside of the koralia... Bent tail, small chunk missing out of his gill plate, and flesh torn off the side to the point of just whiteness. Glad he's okay though, but he is extremely territorial now

ED3B0974-45CA-4203-B507-F56D581161EC-125-0000001BAA2E751B.jpg

Plus I just love this clown.

9A389703-B5D1-4FD4-96B6-04215AA8ABCA-125-0000001BA30BA573.jpg

782AB346-BA16-4575-B04D-F642ABE43281-131-0000001DE58E537E.jpg

FC3A5DD4-93B2-44E7-B86E-567E31893818-125-0000001B9A3FC3A3.jpg

Here's a pic of my YWG after the ride inside of the koralia... Bent tail, small chunk missing out of his gill plate, and flesh torn off the side to the point of just whiteness. Glad he's okay though, but he is extremely territorial now

ED3B0974-45CA-4203-B507-F56D581161EC-125-0000001BAA2E751B.jpg

This is only the beginning...

Why there be no FTS on page 1? I am missing all the updates of livestock.

All the Same stuff as before besides the clown. I'll take a FTs and update once I get stuff in place and glued down. I've also got to get new lenses for the LEDs, but just for aesthetics. Other than that the lighting is kinda laying how I wanted it.

Pat, you wanna go in on this group buy for Florida Rics? Split Express shipping ($15 each) and I'll take delivery and hold until you can pick em up. They're $8 per ric.

This is the lot we'd be getting from:

CDB91759-9D05-46BA-B206-951A33033868-1743-00000127BD71E1B0.jpg

That would actually be perfect. I want a Ric garden on the dim side of the slope so the corner isn't just bare rock. Let me get back to you either tonight or early tomorrow, just got to see what I can afford right now.

Kk. Sounds good.

I think I'm gonna have to pass. I'm being bad and ordering from live aquaria secretly.

Kg, do you happen to have any cucumbers? I'm wondering if a harlequin would bother one?:huh:

jedimasterben
Kg, do you happen to have any cucumbers? I'm wondering if a harlequin would bother one?:huh:

Unless you are rolling in the dough to buy them enough starfish, I would keep away from harleys, kgoldy is figuring that out now. :D

I think I'm gonna have to pass. I'm being bad and ordering from live aquaria secretly.

You buy my Harley's? Sweet.

I theoretically have a cucumber... I bought a rather large one (4 inches or so) from IPSF a few months ago. It was brown like a turd, and stuffed itself into the rocks as soon as I dropped it in the tank. Supposedly it's nocturnal, but I've never seen the thing since.

Since my tank never got nuked, I suppose it might still be alive. The Harley's haven't left their chocolate star since the other day... they were hungry for a while before that little snack. If they messed with the cuke, I'm guessing there would have been some sign.

You buy my Harley's? Sweet.

I theoretically have a cucumber... I bought a rather large one (4 inches or so) from IPSF a few months ago. It was brown like a turd, and stuffed itself into the rocks as soon as I dropped it in the tank. Supposedly it's nocturnal, but I've never seen the thing since.

Since my tank never got nuked, I suppose it might still be alive. The Harley's haven't left their chocolate star since the other day... they were hungry for a while before that little snack. If they messed with the cuke, I'm guessing there would have been some sign.

If they're up for sale I'll take them :).

Jedi, the unlimited starfish I can get from April til October would be free, and from my understanding a small cc can last a pair a while. 7 bucks twice a month during the cold months isn't too bad, I spend more money than that on water anyways. I would be trying to train them on frozen anyway and in that case, food would be free for life with a vacuum sealed bag and a freezer

Kris, I was asking just because I almost pulled the trigger on that yellow cucumber I posted a while ago, but decide I want the tank to mature a bit more first.

Why there be no FTS on page 1? I am missing all the updates of livestock.

Alright, so plans for now is to order another heatsink, cut it in half with a masons chop saw, and light up the far left section. Right now I have enough lights theoretically, but it's not aesthetically pleasing to me. I also need to try out a few wider optics for the last 1 or 2 rows of LEDs to light up the nps, but not throw a lot of par at them. sorry, all I've got is my iPhone so it's a shotty picture at best.

E4E04176-3387-4B9C-830A-773431920A4F-1195-0000022868CA3402.jpg

fish

Yellow watchman goby

Extreme misbar clown

inverts

6.5" derasa clam

HUGE brittle star

Purple and green maxi mini anenome (not doing so hot after the move)

A scarlet hermit

A few electric blue hermits

Handful of nassarius snails

Handful of limpets

Few nerite snails

Most of my snails have been eaten. Future cuc consists of a buttload of nassarius, Ceriths,and a turbo or two.

sps corals

Green encrusting monti

Pokerstar encrusting monti

Red encrusting monti

Pink birdsnest( LOVE IT, it has a nice alien green "skin")

Pink poccilopora

Green digitata, all courtesy of metrokat :)

softies

Assorted zoas and palys... Most of which will be sold or given away locally.

1 lonely ricordea polyp

2 blue mushrooms with splotches of baby blue

photosynthetic LPS

7 heads of all green candy cane

2 caribean open brain corals

Hollywood stunner chalice

Torch

Christmas Favia

blastomussa

Another that I forgot the name honestly, came as a hitchhiker.

NPS coral

Black sun coral

Yellow sun coral

Hidden cup coral

Another hitchhiker whose name slipped my mind

Filtration as of now is 19 lbs of live rock, ~ 15 lbs of dry rock, sca 301 skimmer, chaeto from kgoldy, and a few mangroves.

I am also running an eheim return pump, jbj ato, via aqua heater, vortech mp10 and DIY LEDs.

Archived