Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I actually lucked into a Fenwick 80 lb class rod in 1980 that is exactly like the one Quint used in the movie. I wasn't even looking for one and a guy took it in on trade. I got it for $100, still have it today with the Penn Senator 12/0 reel. took the line off it and used the line in my weed whacker. Caught a hell of a lot of sharks on the piers in North Carolina with that rod and reel.

• Like 1

HLLE and other complaints have also been linked with stray voltage in the aquarium esp in the likes of tangs which are said to be particularly sensetive to voltage in the aquarium water I am told. .

• Like 1

HLLE and other complaints have also been linked with stray voltage in the aquarium esp in the likes of tangs which are said to be particularly sensetive to voltage in the aquarium water I am told. .

Yes indeed. Using A stray voltage probe is the answer to that but you know that

Albert

• Like 1

Yes indeed. Using A stray voltage probe is the answer to that but you know that

Albert

Yes Albert and a simple electricians neon screwdriver will give you an indication if there is stray voltage in your aquarium.

• Like 1

I have used the neon test light. Depending on what insulation I have on my feet, my finger tips are more sensitive to stray voltage.

I have always installed titanium grounding probes in my displays. Recently, I have gotten some conflicting indications of leakage to ground from other than my aquariums. I will get an electrician friend to help me track down my stray voltage.

• Like 1

I have used the neon test light. Depending on what insulation I have on my feet, my finger tips are more sensitive to stray voltage.

I have always installed titanium grounding probes in my displays. Recently, I have gotten some conflicting indications of leakage to ground from other than my aquariums. I will get an electrician friend to help me track down my stray voltage.

Good idea ! Powerheads etc are notorious for putting stray voltage in aquariums as the PH and pumps age

Albert

I love that movie with Richard Dry-face

Jaws ruined me swimming in the ocean for fear of a great white eating my legs off lol. I was little when I saw it. But "Bruce" the shark is imprinted in my brain lol.
  • Like 1

Albert I like that link I agree with most of it, but one part needs tweaking. It is rare, not common, for aquarium cured rock to have any dieoff at all if you move it home, or between tanks, underwater.

The mini cycle is rare, a non event, if using true aquarium cured live rock. uncured ocean live rock, Id believe it.

So rare, that in the entire history of pico reefing its not happened to me one time, since I don't use API test kits the .25's do not happen, ever. i bring my live rock home wet, skip the cycle, begin reefing fast, and the tank endures the ages, over and over

agreed that online posts make ammonia leaking seem part and parcel anytime you touch a tank, but that's only with API ammonia assessments and a rough ride home.

When he mentions live rock cycle, its important to know that transported home underwater, using *aquarium cured live rock* there wont be dieoff and they wont have leaking ammonia measured in any dose since the resident nitrifiers will oxidize it quickly (true sustained .25 indicates a massive sustained leak of ammonia well above 6 ppm, since active live rock can digest much of that amnt every 24 hours, the perpetual .25 is a misnomer when using true cured live rock)

anyway those links are pretty solid, but its important to know if your LFS is trustworthy and they aren't selling the painted live rock, or lying about how long they've had it, then its a reliable system to just transport the live rock home underwater and plan around zero free ammonia being leaked. if this method wasn't reliable, there wouldn't be the documentation we have provided having harnessed it over and over.

the reason its important to consider these events is its directly impactful to the tank upgrader, the broken tank emergency tank assembler, the skip cycler, and the home mover. Stopping a cycle is the easiest thing in reefing, and predicting when and where they will occur. its 100% controllable says the entire foundation of pico reefing in general, our little tanks would die fast having no dilution

Heck, we collect picos in the forum where keepers disassemble their entire reef for half an hour out on the counter, to clean, and then reassemble 20x with no recycle. a ride home from the pet store for true cured live rock is comparative bliss

every person who sets up a tank at a MACNA convention is using skip cycle approaches. I fully agree with him, don't scrub off the good stuff.

• Like 2

Albert I like that link I agree with most of it, but one part needs tweaking. It is rare, not common, for aquarium cured rock to have any dieoff at all if you move it home, or between tanks, underwater.

The mini cycle is rare, a non event, if using true aquarium cured live rock. uncured ocean live rock, Id believe it.

So rare, that in the entire history of pico reefing its not happened to me one time, since I don't use API test kits the .25's do not happen, ever. i bring my live rock home wet, skip the cycle, begin reefing fast, and the tank endures the ages, over and over

agreed that online posts make ammonia leaking seem part and parcel anytime you touch a tank, but that's only with API ammonia assessments and a rough ride home.

When he mentions live rock cycle, its important to know that transported home underwater, using *aquarium cured live rock* there wont be dieoff and they wont have leaking ammonia measured in any dose since the resident nitrifiers will oxidize it quickly (true sustained .25 indicates a massive sustained leak of ammonia well above 6 ppm, since active live rock can digest much of that amnt every 24 hours, the perpetual .25 is a misnomer when using true cured live rock)

anyway those links are pretty solid, but its important to know if your LFS is trustworthy and they aren't selling the painted live rock, or lying about how long they've had it, then its a reliable system to just transport the live rock home underwater and plan around zero free ammonia being leaked. if this method wasn't reliable, there wouldn't be the documentation we have provided having harnessed it over and over.

the reason its important to consider these events is its directly impactful to the tank upgrader, the broken tank emergency tank assembler, the skip cycler, and the home mover. Stopping a cycle is the easiest thing in reefing, and predicting when and where they will occur. its 100% controllable says the entire foundation of pico reefing in general, our little tanks would die fast having no dilution

Heck, we collect picos in the forum where keepers disassemble their entire reef for half an hour out on the counter, to clean, and then reassemble 20x with no recycle. a ride home from the pet store for true cured live rock is comparative bliss

every person who sets up a tank at a MACNA convention is using skip cycle approaches. I fully agree with him, don't scrub off the good stuff.

Thanks Brandon for your insightful contribution and review of the material

I appreciate it

Albert

• Like 1

shoot I don't have Facebook anymore, but I've seen it on TV. It's beautiful. If you have sea horses and the male gives birth, are the babies so small that the parents might eat them? Or is there parental care?

It depends on the species and the environment they are in

See the link below

http://www.fishchannel.com/media/fish-magazines/freshwater-and-marine-aquarium/2007-may/cannibalism-in-seahorses.aspx.pdf

Albert

I agree Brandon. I've literally cured tons of live rock and once I cook it out, it's safe. you should have been around in the 80s when I was bringing up 2-500 lbs a week out of Florida. I had to put a ventilation system in because of the smell. I had an Undulatus trigger that I would move from vat to vat to dispatch mantis shrimps.

One of the funniest things I ever heard about live rock was a guy at a symposium asked if he could get these "live rocks" in his back yard. My friend Dennis who ran a shop called Coral Reef Connection said "Yea, your dog leaves them there for you". I was no more good after that. I know you sold to Dennis Albert.

• Like 2

SB I would literally work for free as a reef helping lebowski in Florida anywhere. It's amazing you guys were doing anything reef for a living us landlocked Texans are just here living vicariously in those tales. One of these days that's my dream. Long hair, moderate tan, gray chin and reefing for a living somehow. Hopefully growing replacement staghorns in vases and then delivering the frags out to the reef via drone drop, ideally.

• Like 2

SB I would literally work for free as a reef helping lebowski in Florida anywhere. It's amazing you guys were doing anything reef for a living us landlocked Texans are just here living vicariously in those tales. One of these days that's my dream. Long hair, moderate tan, gray chin and reefing for a living somehow. Hopefully growing replacement staghorns in vases and then delivering the frags out to the reef via drone drop, ideally.

Sounds like a super plan Brandon

Albert

• Like 1

The last time the wife and I went to The Keys, collecting rock was still legal, you were allowed 50lbs or something. We brought home 600 lbs, some of which I still have today. That is a place that EVERY American reefer needs to see once in their lifetime. In a few years, my address will be somewhere on Big Pine Key.

Now I pick up boxes of rock from Fiji from the airport. It's not all that fun after the first 50,000 times you've done it, lol. I'll post up a few pics tomorrow, I have some corals coming in tomorrow.

• Like 2

The last time the wife and I went to The Keys, collecting rock was still legal, you were allowed 50lbs or something. We brought home 600 lbs, some of which I still have today. That is a place that EVERY American reefer needs to see once in their lifetime. In a few years, my address will be somewhere on Big Pine Key.

Now I pick up boxes of rock from Fiji from the airport. It's not all that fun after the first 50,000 times you've done it, lol. I'll post up a few pics tomorrow, I have some corals coming in tomorrow.

Looking forward to the pics SB

Albert

Got another £52 of credit (about $73) for my Red Sea Pulse Xenia yesterday from one of my LFS's . I take a whole bunch of it every month and he has no problem selling it on and at a fair markup I get £4 per frag he selling for £10 but that's fine by me. Happy days :)

• Like 2

Just north of Eliat, Israel there are fields of pulsing Xenia as far as the eye can see. There are literally thousands of square metres of the stuff there. I often wonder if that's why the Red Sea is so clear.

• Like 2

Got another £52 of credit (about $73) for my Red Sea Pulse Xenia yesterday from one of my LFS's . I take a whole bunch of it every month and he has no problem selling it on and at a fair markup I get £4 per frag he selling for £10 but that's fine by me. Happy days :)

Good for you Les

Albert

Just north of Eliat, Israel there are fields of pulsing Xenia as far as the eye can see. There are literally thousands of square metres of the stuff there. I often wonder if that's why the Red Sea is so clear.

Yes they are super prolific there indeed

Albert