ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Looks like you are moving along just fine with the new set up Les

Albert

Nothing good ever comes quickly in this hobby Albert as you know. I hope to recuperate at least £100 maybe £150 by selling on the surplus equipment. Just bought a seconds hand Deltec TS1250skimmer with almost new uprated Red Dragon pump for a very good price. They don't make them anymore but a great skimmer and with the new pump twice as efficient. They are build bomb proof and only the pump can fail but this new pump will be a great.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Nothing good ever comes quickly in this hobby Albert as you know. I hope to recuperate at least £100 maybe £150 by selling on the surplus equipment. Just bought a seconds hand Deltec TS1250skimmer with almost new uprated Red Dragon pump for a very good price. They don't make them anymore but a great skimmer and with the new pump twice as efficient. They are build bomb proof and only the pump can fail but this new pump will be a great.

Nice ... good investment for sure and nice you got that skimmer !

Albert

• Like 1

Nice ... good investment for sure and nice you got that skimmer !

Albert

This one rated at up to 130 to 200 USGs.

DSC_0017_zpsgouvpnbm.jpg

Bit old school but with the uprated needle wheel Red Dragon pump so much more efficient.

You can still buy them here costing £358 without the uprated pump. I paid £100 inc shipping.

• Like 1
albertthiel

This one rated at up to 130 to 200 USGs.

DSC_0017_zpsgouvpnbm.jpg

Bit old school but with the uprated needle wheel Red Dragon pump so much more efficient.

You can still buy them here costing £358 without the uprated pump. I paid £100 inc shipping.

Looks like it should do a good job indeed esp with the new pump and needle valve

Albert

• Like 1

Well just finished washing and putting 25kg of Reeflowers Pearl White sand in the new tank and still have 7kg to go. Hard work washing sand that's for sure. My back is now broke lol.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Well just finished washing and putting 25kg of Reeflowers Pearl White sand in the new tank and still have 7kg to go. Hard work washing sand that's for sure. My back is now broke lol.

No rush needed Les :) get some rest ... well deserved for sure

Albert

• Like 1

I have added the fine 7kg of sand now. I parted the wet sand I had already had in the tank to each side leaving a bare bottom along the full length of the tank. I then added the wet 0.5mm sand into this trench and pushed the coarser sand back and over it. I now have a 1" sand bed the full length of centre of the tank.he tank. with the fine sand mainly in the bottom of the tank. Time to put my feet up after washing all that sand and adding it to the tank. PHEW!

• Like 1
albertthiel

I have added the fine 7kg of sand now. I parted the wet sand I had already had in the tank to each side leaving a bare bottom along the full length of the tank. I then added the wet 0.5mm sand into this trench and pushed the coarser sand back and over it. I now have a 1" sand bed the full length of centre of the tank.he tank. with the fine sand mainly in the bottom of the tank. Time to put my feet up after washing all that sand and adding it to the tank. PHEW!

Keep plugging away I guess Les

Albert

I am having a hard time keeping all my fish fed because I just have too many. You know that feeling when you go into a LFS not intending to buy anything. You promise yourself you won't buy anything because you just don't have the room. You swear to yourself you won't buy anything. Then you see it. You really must have it. It is a one of a kind. You convince yourself that you owe it to your body. Then as you are driving home with the new fish, you swear to yourself, that that is the absolute last fish you can possibly fit in there. My fish are now taking turns putting their heads underwater, that's how crowded it is. Their tails are getting a rash from hitting each other. Each fish is on a first name basis with each other.
It's terrible, but that's where I am now. For the last two weeks I can't find my male bluestripe pipefish, so I figure he is gone along with my clingfish, so that gives me the opportunity to get more fish. As soon as I put in the new fish, guess who shows up? Yep, the bluestripe pipefish and clingfish. The pipefish was doing what he always does, having babies in the back of the tank. My water is like sewage from all the food I have to put in. One of my bubble corals died, probably because my nitrates are 980 or so. I tested the nitrates once and the test water in the vial turned into tar. I don't know what I am going to do because the fish just won't die, they don't even jump out any more but they keep growing. One of my bangai cardinals uses a shoehorn to get in between the rocks because he got to large. That fireclown had a birthday, he is about 25 years old (but I could be off by a couple of years as I lost his birth certificate)
2015-10-09%2012.45.03_zps8wayqkm6.jpg

• Like 3
Hammerstone

I am having a hard time keeping all my fish fed because I just have too many. You know that feeling when you go into a LFS not intending to buy anything. You promise yourself you won't buy anything because you just don't have the room. You swear to yourself you won't buy anything. Then you see it. You really must have it. It is a one of a kind. You convince yourself that you owe it to your body. Then as you are driving home with the new fish, you swear to yourself, that that is the absolute last fish you can possibly fit in there. My fish are now taking turns putting their heads underwater, that's how crowded it is. Their tails are getting a rash from hitting each other. Each fish is on a first name basis with each other.

It's terrible, but that's where I am now. For the last two weeks I can't find my male bluestripe pipefish, so I figure he is gone along with my clingfish, so that gives me the opportunity to get more fish. As soon as I put in the new fish, guess who shows up? Yep, the bluestripe pipefish and clingfish. The pipefish was doing what he always does, having babies in the back of the tank. My water is like sewage from all the food I have to put in. One of my bubble corals died, probably because my nitrates are 980 or so. I tested the nitrates once and the test water in the vial turned into tar. I don't know what I am going to do because the fish just won't die, they don't even jump out any more but they keep growing. One of my bangai cardinals uses a shoehorn to get in between the rocks because he got to large. That fireclown had a birthday, he is about 25 years old (but I could be off by a couple of years as I lost his birth certificate)

2015-10-09%2012.45.03_zps8wayqkm6.jpg

Beautiful Fish!!! I hope you don't have to get rid of anyway. You should have tank of the month, or the year. Plus they must be happy if they are constantly spawning!!!
  • Like 1

Some of you will know I make many of my own foods and have done for many years. Today I went into the fish market and bought some small fresh clams about 8 of them. Inside 2 of them were these little fellows already dead however.

20160310_151452_zpsqzmytbty.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Some of you will know I make many of my own foods and have done for many years. Today I went into the fish market and bought some small fresh clams about 8 of them. Inside 2 of them were these little fellows already dead however.

20160310_151452_zpsqzmytbty.jpg

And not much left of the clam ... they had a good meal for sure before passing on to their next life

Albert

• Like 1

And not much left of the clam ... they had a good meal for sure before passing on to their next life

Albert

Nope Alberts that's after I had removed the clam meat sorry. I don't think they eat clams just live in them, parasitic I would guess but probably do the clam no real harm and of course get shelter in the clam.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Nope Alberts that's after I had removed the clam meat sorry. I don't think they eat clams just live in them, parasitic I would guess but probably do the clam no real harm and of course get shelter in the clam.

Thanks for clarifying Les

Albert

• Like 1

Was it hard to get pairs of fish?

No, sometimes I would get one and just wait until I found another one. Here in New York I can't swing a dead catfish without hitting 3 or 4 LFSs.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

NYC is a port of entry Paul so you have first dibs on most things that come in for the East coast. I've been trying to get a pair of pipefish now for 3 months. I even resorted to calling a few wholesale places and local stores with no luck. Hell, I'd trade one of the males I have for a female.

• Like 1