ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

HarryPotter

Am a little surprised (early days of course) nobody has picked me up on whatI wrote however sometimes you make people think about it. My response was in some respects thinking outside the box and that can confuse people or make them think differently to what they believe or can apprehend without some in depth thinking about. Sometimes you wonder am I he only one who can read my post lol.

Well, refugiums (growing algae in a specific place) have been around for a long time.

Also, your post applies to common algae but not Cyanobacteria, dinos, or bryopsis IMO, and definitely not bubble algae or aptasia anemones. (Nuisance issues a new or long term reefer may encounter)

Grow algae where you want it= Refugium, no?

• Like 2

IME all algae's are good as they are feeding on excessive nutrients well nutrients anyway as algae are also on the reef of course. Aptasia nems have little to do with the so-called nuisance algae's people get. Growing algae in a refugium, ATS or whatever rather than in the DT is desirable in just about any system. Back in the day we grow various Caulerpa's in the DT then in sumps but with the introduction of more compact ATS's we have reduced the size and in doing so made algae filtration more efficient.

HarryPotter, on 18 Mar 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

Well, refugiums (growing algae in a specific place) have been around for a long time.

Also, your post applies to common algae but not Cyanobacteria, dinos, or bryopsis IMO, and definitely not bubble algae or aptasia anemones. (Nuisance issues a new or long term reefer may encounter)

Grow algae where you want it= Refugium, no?

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

I got something today that I've NEVER had before in 30+ years of reef keeping, a pair of Fijian melanopus clowns. I've never had a Tomato clown ever. That'll teach Walt Smith to run them on sale, lol.

Yasha gobies are getting more available, they're not cheap, but they're on availability lists about twice a month. Only pair them with the little Randall's pistol shrimp though. Tigers will eat them and that would be a shame, not to mention a $60 meal!!

• Like 1
Hammerstone

I saw a clown fry swim by in my tank!!! I know that the odds are slim to non on its growing up but Iam so happy. My clowns are a good mommy and daddy!!!

It's only two clowns and two Suns in this 30g tank.

• Like 2
albertthiel

I got something today that I've NEVER had before in 30+ years of reef keeping, a pair of Fijian melanopus clowns. I've never had a Tomato clown ever. That'll teach Walt Smith to run them on sale, lol.

Yasha gobies are getting more available, they're not cheap, but they're on availability lists about twice a month. Only pair them with the little Randall's pistol shrimp though. Tigers will eat them and that would be a shame, not to mention a $60 meal!!

Interesting that Walt had them on sales StinkyBunny

Albert

I saw a clown fry swim by in my tank!!! I know that the odds are slim to non on its growing up but Iam so happy. My clowns are a good mommy and daddy!!!

It's only two clowns and two Suns in this 30g tank.

That is great indeed

Albert

albertthiel

I am just letting nature take its course. I feel blessed I got to see one!

Yes indeed but as was said raising them is a specialty of its own and not that easy to do ... but in this case practice will eventually make you succeed

Albert

Hammerstone

Yes indeed but as was said raising them is a specialty of its own and not that easy to do ... but in this case practice will eventually make you succeed

Albert

?
  • Like 1
StinkyBunny

OK, here's one for the people that frequent the thread. About a month ago I was given a wild caught Red bubble tip, now my green bubble tips are turning red. Any ideas on that?

• Like 1
albertthiel

OK, here's one for the people that frequent the thread. About a month ago I was given a wild caught Red bubble tip, now my green bubble tips are turning red. Any ideas on that?

No idea why that would happen to be honest with you and it is the first time I come across someone mentionning that this happened

Maybe one spawned and the other one took up some of it .... who knows ... not sure at all

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+869&pcatid=869

Albert

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

Don't know Albert, strange to me as well. I used to order them all the time out of Indonesia and rarely got them, now they're everywhere. These things split all the time. When I need $60, I do a 30% water change and a week later instead of 3, I have 5 or if I'm lucky, 6. Now I'm questioning the correct species of Tomato clown I got, apparently there's a barberi clown from Fiji.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Don't know Albert, strange to me as well. I used to order them all the time out of Indonesia and rarely got them, now they're everywhere. These things split all the time. When I need $60, I do a 30% water change and a week later instead of 3, I have 5 or if I'm lucky, 6. Now I'm questioning the correct species of Tomato clown I got, apparently there's a barberi clown from Fiji.

Very odd indeed ... and it does not seem to happen that often as I do not find references to it on other forums ///

Albert

• Like 1

Job for today for new tank, finish off my DIY lighting brackets, add lighting attachment bars and fix to walls. I will have to fill the plaster wall holes after removing pictures later.

20160321_191421_zpsaopp4zvo.jpg

• Like 2
albertthiel

Job for today for new tank, finish off my DIY lighting brackets, add lighting attachment bars and fix to walls. I will have to fill the plaster wall holes after removing pictures later.

20160321_191421_zpsaopp4zvo.jpg

Nice job in progress Les

Albert

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

Very odd indeed ... and it does not seem to happen that often as I do not find references to it on other forums ///

Albert

I've looked and sent off a few emails to colleagues who do anemone research. I don't have a clue as to what's going on with them. I've heard that vinegar dosing can do strange things, so who the hell knows. If this is the way you take a $20 anemone and turn it into a $60 anemone, then so be it.

• Like 1

Nice job in progress Les

Albert

Bought a secondhand almost new Nyos 160 skimmer today for the tank it will be here Thursday all being well.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I've looked and sent off a few emails to colleagues who do anemone research. I don't have a clue as to what's going on with them. I've heard that vinegar dosing can do strange things, so who the hell knows. If this is the way you take a $20 anemone and turn it into a $60 anemone, then so be it.

Yes nice way to make a few $$$

:)

Albert

Bought a secondhand almost new Nyos 160 skimmer today for the tank it will be here Thursday all being well.

Very nice buy Les

Albert

• Like 1

Yes nice way to make a few $$$

:)

Albert

Very nice buy Les

Albert

Great skimmers the best by all accounts Albert.

• Like 1