Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Fireclowns spawned again last night. I think they spawn every month or five weeks.
I don't get to excited when clowns spawn because they will spawn by eating cardboard as long as you put a picture of a worm on it.
I am a little excited that he is about 25 years old and she is about 17 or so. I really don't know how long they live but it's probably around 30 years.
2015-06-282005.40.28_zpsbpvbfnd0.jpg

• Like 1

I designed a slightly different venture valve for my DIY skimmer than the one I was using. My existing one used a neoprene washer inside and after many years it rotted. This one has a better design inside and has a smooth bore and a better method of producing small bubbles. I know it works better because as soon as I turned it on, my skimmer overflowed all over the place. It cost about a buck.
2015-06-29%2005.54.46_zpsxk3matdw.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

I designed a slightly different venture valve for my DIY skimmer than the one I was using. My existing one used a neoprene washer inside and after many years it rotted. This one has a better design inside and has a smooth bore and a better method of producing small bubbles. I know it works better because as soon as I turned it on, my skimmer overflowed all over the place. It cost about a buck.

2015-06-29%2005.54.46_zpsxk3matdw.jpg

Looks good Paul. When I ran Thiel Aqua Tech we first sold the Mazzei commercial venturi valves and then because of their cost we started making our own as well ....

Glad to read that yours is really kicking a.... s

Albert

Hammerstone

I hope so. I may have to put them in my will B)

i really love those fire clowns. Omg. Would love to have some of those. I don't think my current clown pair would like that though. Do places still sell them?
  • Like 1
albertthiel

I Have only seen two fireclowns for sale in all the years since I have had them. I don't think they would play nice with other clowns though

Indeed that would not work out well

Albert

Hammerstone

I Have only seen two fireclowns for sale in all the years since I have had them. I don't think they would play nice with other clowns though

I have another tank which crashed quite some time ago when I ripped out a ton of algae and I think I had an ammonia spike. It killed all my fish the next day. I still have a CUC that I take care of. I need to clean up the hair algae then I'm wondering what to stick it with. I was thinking those fire clowns were breath taking. My tank gets a lot of natural sunlight. Oh and one of my pimps broke. All I need to do is fix it up. I just have been focusing the one tank.
  • Like 1

Tank is almost finished all fish and corals are in and reefscape done. I say ALMOST finished are our tanks ever finished I know mine aren't lol. I still have my calcium reactor and some tweaking to do here and there. I have ordered a Jebao 2000 pump so the ATS has a dedicated supply as my idea of teeing off the main pump is not ideal. Nothing lost apart from one star damsel which I eventually found dead in the cold water of my old tank I simply could not find when we transferred all the stock over so sad and I don't know why I couldn't find it when we did the transfer over Grrrrr.

The following pic was taken 2 days ago, we are getting there.

PS the temp heaters have been removed and permanent 500w SS one connected to my external thermostat.

20160414_173444_zpse0taps0n.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great Les. :D

My 2 year old Cobalt, how ever you spell it, died. I really hate these things. Not just that one but all new pumps. My original, (American Made) pumps lasted for over 20 years, some 30 and some are still running from the 70s, non stop 24/7 with no problems.
This one that died. This one worked well for the short time I had it. It was a low voltage DC job. I tested the power supply and it is good. Then I cut the wire just before it went into the motor and it was getting power so I know it is toast.
I have a pump running my skimmer that is under my tank so I never see the thing. It is the oldest pump I have and I don't know the model and I can't see me crawling under there with a flashlight to look at it. If I shined a light on it, it may explode.
I ordered a new pump, I forget what kind and I don't think it matters because I think they are all made by the same guy in China. If I could find an American one, no matter how much it cost, I would buy it. But unfortunately there is no such thing and we are stuck with this kind of stuff.
Today I was cleaning out my garage and I came across a box that I had not seen in years. It was from our wedding shower. We have been married for 44 years so it is old. It is a avocado colored food mixer. In big letters it reads "Made in the USA" so I know it is old. It is still brand new in the box and was never taken out. :lol:

This thing is still running but it is only a few years old.

2014-05-15123528_zps43af9cf0.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Looks great Les. :D

My 2 year old Cobalt, how ever you spell it, died. I really hate these things. Not just that one but all new pumps. My original, (American Made) pumps lasted for over 20 years, some 30 and some are still running from the 70s, non stop 24/7 with no problems.

This one that died. This one worked well for the short time I had it. It was a low voltage DC job. I tested the power supply and it is good. Then I cut the wire just before it went into the motor and it was getting power so I know it is toast.

I have a pump running my skimmer that is under my tank so I never see the thing. It is the oldest pump I have and I don't know the model and I can't see me crawling under there with a flashlight to look at it. If I shined a light on it, it may explode.

I ordered a new pump, I forget what kind and I don't think it matters because I think they are all made by the same guy in China. If I could find an American one, no matter how much it cost, I would buy it. But unfortunately there is no such thing and we are stuck with this kind of stuff.

Today I was cleaning out my garage and I came across a box that I had not seen in years. It was from our wedding shower. We have been married for 44 years so it is old. It is a avocado colored food mixer. In big letters it reads "Made in the USA" so I know it is old. It is still brand new in the box and was never taken out. :lol:

This thing is still running but it is only a few years old.

2014-05-15123528_zps43af9cf0.jpg

They don't make equipment the wAy they used to unfortunately

Albert

My sump so far. I have ordered a Jebao DC2000 pump to use instead of teeing off the return pump as it causes problems with my water level in the DT when I turn the water off to the ATS. The Jebao will give me more controllability over the ATS as well given it has an external controller.

20160419_102209_zpsynttk0df.jpg

• Like 1

Wow that is SOME tank Les

Gorgeous

Albert

Still a bit to do and I am waiting for the Jebao 2000 pump for my ATS which is currently fed off my return pump. Also tidying up of equipment and wiring. I also need to fine tune a few things like my skimmer.

BTW the divider on the far right of the tank is to get my clowns associated with my nems as they have spent a lot of time on my Duncans preferring them to my nems in my old tank.

• Like 1