Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I just came back from my favorite LFS and they normally have blue stripes in stock. Today they only had one but if I wanted one, they would have it for me in a couple of days.

Nano Reefer, I feed my fish once a day and sometimes I will shoot some worms in there in the morning just for a snack. My brine shrimp feeder I fill every day so they can eat those all day

• Like 2

As I was feeding the fish tonight I noticed a pipefish that I thought I lost a couple of weeks ago. It is a very plain looking pipe that crawls around the bottom like a dragon faced pipe. I got him at Aquarium Village my favorite store.

He is crawling around hunting, and apparently finding pods

• Like 1
albertthiel

As I was feeding the fish tonight I noticed a pipefish that I thought I lost a couple of weeks ago. It is a very plain looking pipe that crawls around the bottom like a dragon faced pipe. I got him at Aquarium Village my favorite store.

He is crawling around hunting, and apparently finding pods

Glad you found it back :)

Albert

StinkyBunny

I wish I could find the little Scopas tang I put in the 57 a week ago. No corpse, no fish jerky, nothing. We saw him 2 days grazing, then nada and it's not like there's anything in there that would eat him. Just leather corals, Gary the shrimp goby, a few pistol shrimp and Mr. Green Jeans the green banded goby.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I wish I could find the little Scopas tang I put in the 57 a week ago. No corpse, no fish jerky, nothing. We saw him 2 days grazing, then nada and it's not like there's anything in there that would eat him. Just leather corals, Gary the shrimp goby, a few pistol shrimp and Mr. Green Jeans the green banded goby.

I think you can probably blame the few pistol shrimp ....

Albert

StinkyBunny

I think you can probably blame the few pistol shrimp ....

Albert

I would, but they're mainly herbivores. They'll scavenge, but where their holes are is an algae free zone. He wasn't in the best shape, Philippines again so who knows. If I could get the carcass, I could test the liver to see if it was chemical. The guy I got it from said take it, if it lives then Merry Christmas, lol. I've always been one to try to save something.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I would, but they're mainly herbivores. They'll scavenge, but where their holes are is an algae free zone. He wasn't in the best shape, Philippines again so who knows. If I could get the carcass, I could test the liver to see if it was chemical. The guy I got it from said take it, if it lives then Merry Christmas, lol. I've always been one to try to save something.

Yes but if the fish was dead or in bad shape they may have seen it as an opportunity for food anyway

Albert

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

I run mine through an RO, but I don't use the DI resins. I run it through 2 canisters filled with Seachem's Phosguard to make sure the phosphates and silicates are removed.

• Like 1

Regarding that request or photos and videos on nuisance algae's. Anybody who has been in this hobby any length of time will have experienced issues with GHA cyno and all manner of algae many consider a nuisance. However, it has long been established why some aquariums will suffer from such. Some blame the type of lights being used, excessive phosphates and nitrates. However aquariums with good lighting and almost unmeasurable levels of phosphate and nitrate while I know of aquariums with elevated levels of bot these algae fertilisers. I have yet to a justifiable reason for why this should be. I do think and in certain circumstances algae will grab these fertilisers before various reducers grab them.

Nuisance or undesirable algae is only algae grown in the wrong place just like a weed is a plant you don't want in your garden. I have a number of different algae's I grow mostly GHA but I grow them where I want them not in my DT. The algae's I grow do so in my ATS which IMO is the best place for it and in fact, they are very desirable and beneficial. I would go as far as to say all algae's are beneficial as they are feeding off excess nutrients it's just that some people grow them in the wrong place for them IE their DT.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Regarding that request or photos and videos on nuisance algae's. Anybody who has been in this hobby any length of time will have experienced issues with GHA cyno and all manner of algae many consider a nuisance. However, it has long been established why some aquariums will suffer from such. Some blame the type of lights being used, excessive phosphates and nitrates. However aquariums with good lighting and almost unmeasurable levels of phosphate and nitrate while I know of aquariums with elevated levels of bot these algae fertilisers. I have yet to a justifiable reason for why this should be. I do think and in certain circumstances algae will grab these fertilisers before various reducers grab them.

Nuisance or undesirable algae is only algae grown in the wrong place just like a weed is a plant you don't want in your garden. I have a number of different algae's I grow mostly GHA but I grow them where I want them not in my DT. The algae's I grow do so in my ATS which IMO is the best place for it and in fact, they are very desirable and beneficial. I would go as far as to say all algae's are beneficial as they are feeding off excess nutrients it's just that some people grow them in the wrong place for them IE their DT.

Well said indeed Les

Albert

• Like 1

Well said indeed Les

Albert

Am a little surprised (early days of course) nobody has picked me up on whatI wrote however sometimes you make people think about it. My response was in some respects thinking outside the box and that can confuse people or make them think differently to what they believe or can apprehend without some in depth thinking about. Sometimes you wonder am I he only one who can read my post lol.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Am a little surprised (early days of course) nobody has picked me up on whatI wrote however sometimes you make people think about it. My response was in some respects thinking outside the box and that can confuse people or make them think differently to what they believe or can apprehend without some in depth thinking about. Sometimes you wonder am I he only one who can read my post lol.

It was thinking "outside of the box" indeed but as you said Algae ARE needed on the reef and without them there would basically be NO REEF at all

Your point was on the mark for sure

Albert

• Like 1
Hammerstone

Specialized care is needed with Sun corals

http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/specialized-care-key-to-success-with-sun-corals-tubastraea-6409/

Albert

awesome article. I'm losing a little patch from the blacks that were sent to me in the deep freezing weather but the rest are doing exceptionally well. Just not asthetically pleasing, the ones I'm trying to save. I still have about 40 beautiful polyps and then those.

My yellows are doing very well and both the black and the yellow are making babies. I'm hoping the blacks will fill I'm that spot eventually or I can bring them back from deteriation. I feed them every night!

• Like 1
albertthiel

awesome article. I'm losing a little patch from the blacks that were sent to me in the deep freezing weather but the rest are doing exceptionally well. Just not asthetically pleasing, the ones I'm trying to save. I still have about 40 beautiful polyps and then those.

My yellows are doing very well and both the black and the yellow are making babies. I'm hoping the blacks will fill I'm that spot eventually or I can bring them back from deteriation. I feed them every night!

Hopes so for you too. I know that you know how to take care of them so the path to recovery is good IMHO

Albert