Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

If everything is doing well Les, then it's good. When things die, is when you need to look for the causes.

OK, here's one for the crew, out green BTAs are turning purple. Any ideas there? That tank full of anemones looks like my wife's tank did when we got it. It had 7 GBTAs in it. brought them home, did a massive water change and 4 of them split so now we had 11, lol. I've sold $360 worth of them since we got the tank so I actually made $160 on my $200 purchase.

Well I certianly wouldn't knock it. I am similar with my Red Sea Xenia. However in the posher south of the country they can't give it away while I make £48 a time with it I guess about $55 Those southerners here in the UK don't know a business opportunity when they see it lol,

• Like 2

Well I certianly wouldn't knock it. I am similar with my Red Sea Xenia. However in the posher south of the country they can't give it away while I make £48 a time with it I guess about $55 Those southerners here in the UK don't know a business opportunity when they see it lol,

odd

Albert

How cool is this guy? I also added a clingfish, but I will never see him again.

That is really cool! What is it? And what is a cling fish?

2015-05-082001.12.13_zpsiecv8hhc.jpg

I placed the question under neath the post

that is really cool. What is it and what is a clingfish

Clingfish, 138954-004-4A47BAF8.jpgany of more than 150 species of small fishes of the family Gobiesocidae (order Perciformes). Clingfishes are characterized by a strong suction disk located on the undersurface and formed by the pelvic fins and adjacent folds of flesh. They are scaleless fishes and have wide, flattened heads. Most species are about 7.5 cm (3 inches) or less in length, though the South African Chorisochismus dentex is up to 30 cm (12 inches) long. Some of the tropical American clingfishes of the genus Gobiesox live in rapid streams, but most clingfishes inhabit the sea. Many inhabit the intertidal zone and maintain a hold on the bottom with the sucking disk, whereas others live on coral reefs.

<p>

I placed the question under neath the post

that is really cool. What is it and what is a clingfish

Clingfish, 138954-004-4A47BAF8.jpgany of more than 150 species of small fishes of the family Gobiesocidae (order Perciformes). Clingfishes are characterized by a strong suction disk located on the undersurface and formed by the pelvic fins and adjacent folds of flesh. They are scaleless fishes and have wide, flattened heads. Most species are about 7.5 cm (3 inches) or less in length, though the South African Chorisochismus dentex is up to 30 cm (12 inches) long. Some of the tropical American clingfishes of the genus Gobiesox live in rapid streams, but most clingfishes inhabit the sea. Many inhabit the intertidal zone and maintain a hold on the bottom with the sucking disk, whereas others live on coral reefs.

too cool ? Thank you!!
  • Like 1

No, not that kind of a clingfish. There are a few fish called clingfish. This is the one I wanted (pictured) I had that one but don't know what happened to it. This time I got the one that looks like a brown, indescript elongated flounder. No one but me would want one of these as you never see them. But that is the type of fish I prefer. Oddballs.

2014-12-09143343_zpsed3255a1.jpg

• Like 1

Like so many slugs .... I love Spanish Dancers but they are just as hard to keep for a long time ... at best a few months if that

Albert

I also like Spanish Dancers, but the ones I find in Spain.

• Like 3

Like so many slugs .... I love Spanish Dancers but they are just as hard to keep for a long time ... at best a few months if that

Albert

Yes those are very interesting too :)

Albert

I posted this thread 3 years ago and just found it. I wanted to re-post it because I thought it would be interesting and stir up some conversation:

Me, like Albert have been in this since before last Tuesday.

I don't know everything and I don't want to. For me it is the challenge of the unknown that excites me and the more knowledge I get, the less challenge there is. If we knew how to definately cure ich with say a pill or eliminate hair algae in an hour how boreing would this hobby be.

The same thing happened just before fish keeping began in the 1800s. Women in England would collect ferns. And eventually their fern collections grew to include all of the ferns in Europe and there was nothing left to collect. They had all the knowledge there was to know about ferns, how to keep them, how to identify them etc. There was drawings of all the various varieties and their hobby stagnated as the thrill was gone. Then they started walking around in the shallow tide pools and started to collect marine sea creatures. That is how this hobby started.

But when we know how to cure everything, keep everything and raise everything there will not be any reason to get excited if your bangai cardinal spawns because it will be a normal, almost daily occurance.

When they build powerheads, lights, and skimmers to last forever it will be very boring, for me anyway as I love to experiment with new things.

I am sure that any time now there will be no need to dose as they will most likely make ASW with time release nutrients as they do with pills. Nitrates will most likely be eliminmated with some device like a catylic converter that removes pollutants from car exhausts.

So I think that if we feel we have a problem with something in our tank, we should view that is an exciting, learning experience and not a harbinger of doom as most people view it.

I personally like it when something goes wrong and I can find a way to fix it and discover ways to stop it from happening. I don't just want to view my perfect tank forever just the way it is with no changes and all the same creatures living forever. In my living room there is an 8' painting of an undersea scene. I may as well just stare at that.

People ask me all the time why I don't raise the fish that spawn in my tank. The answer is simple, I already raised a number of them so the thrill is almost gone. The first fish I raised were some blue devils. After the eggs were laid I would sit up all night with a flashlight waiting for the eggs to hatch. Then I would try to count them and feel really sad when I would lose some. I nursed them to adulthood and waited for them to spawn. It was a big thrill and an exciting time in the hobby for me, especially because that was way before the internet was invented so the few people I told about it were amazed. Now of course thousands of fish have been spawned and raised and written about so if it happens in your tank, very few people would even care. The more we do in this hobby or life in general, the less excited we get. It's just life. I still very much love this hobby but now my "goal" has changed. I no longer buy a fish to see how long I can keep it because I know how long (if at all) I can keep most fish. I know which corals I can and can't keep and the ones I want to keep. Many people in this hobby feel the pinnacle of success is a tank full of SPS. I also did, but now my interests have changed. I now go for oddities, unusual creatures we rarely see.

How do you feel about al this?

• Like 1

One thing I have admired about you Paul is, "you take the road least traveled".

I think I may be a laissez faire hobbiest. I operate simple natural filtration systems as a hobby business. With too many tanks, I want the least amount of complication. When blues guitarist B. B. King sang "The Thrill is Gone" he may have been playing to you.

I get excited through the enthusiasm and wonder of new hobbiest. Your emphasis on feeding live food to assist fish immune system and breeding of fish has enhanced my husbandry skills. I especially liked it when you treated yourself to fresh clams and feed your tank with left overs.

• Like 1

Patrick, I also get excited when I see a new hobbiest learn something. I remember the thrill I used to get when I found something out. If there were no problems, they would call this stamp collecting. We still have so much more to figure out, how to eliminate HLLE, bryopsis, cyano, hair algae, nitrates and a host of other things many of us deal with every day. We can lessen these things using a variety of measures but we are no way near solving those things.

• Like 1

HLLE is a perfect example to illustrate this complex problem. It is not a desease but a symptom of living in a tank that is out of balance.

Randy Homes Farley told me that "rocket science" was simple. We put a man on the moon 50 years ago, but biology was much more complex. We have not solved cancer in those same 50 years. Neither have we solved HLLE.

• Like 1

That's right. I remember the men on the moon and it was fascinating. Everyone hanging out by the TV to see what happened. It was extremely exciting. Then the first Space shuttle was exciting, but after a bunch of them, they went by without a second thought. I also remember Sputnik. I was in grammar school and we listened to the noise the thing made and thought Wow, all the way from space.

• Like 1

I do remember seeing Sputnik in the night sky. It was a big deal then.

Also, I may know of a cure for HLLE. I consider HLLE a symptom of a nutritional inbalance in the fishes diet. A diet of "Tang Heaven Red" will fix that problem. I listened to a talk that Gerald Heslinger, owner of IndoPacific SeaFarms, gave on HLLE recovery with a diet change to fresh, live macro algae. It may be another way in which bacteria populations become skewed and are brought back to health with live food.

• Like 1

Albert

• Like 1