Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I am going to Halifax UK of course tomorrow to pick up 2 more Hydra 26s then onto visit my daughter and family in Harrowgate home late evening. Hoping for a fun trip. I have already make 2 more wall mounting brackets for the lights and will be fitting them on Monday all being well.

• Like 1

I am going to Halifax UK of course tomorrow to pick up 2 more Hydra 26s then onto visit my daughter and family in Harrowgate home late evening. Hoping for a fun trip. I have already make 2 more wall mounting brackets for the lights and will be fitting them on Monday all being well.

Have a safe trip and enjoy

Albert

The snow is stopping now but it is on top of a lot of snow that didn't melt from last week. But it is warming up and melting. I am a Man and not a Girly Man so it doesn't bother me. :)

• Like 2

The snow is stopping now but it is on top of a lot of snow that didn't melt from last week. But it is warming up and melting. I am a Man and not a Girly Man so it doesn't bother me. :)

:) :) I know

I was just looking at my tank and Wow, I have way to many fish. A couple jumped out in the last few months but the rest of them just keep growing. They are all exuding health which is what they are supposed to do but the amount of food they need is really messing up my water. I don't know what the nitrates read because it is off the chart. I really don't care as I like healthy, spawning fish. I am going to try to count them.............
I came up with 20 but I am sure I missed some.
I also put a weird pipefish in there last week that I haven't seen but he is the type that crawls around the bottom so he is probably in the back someplace.
Yesterday I got a bunch of chowder clams so with those and quite a lot of live blackworms I am good with food for a couple of weeks. The bluestripe pipefish are spawning as is the bangai's, mandarins and fireclowns. The yellow wrasses look like they are trying to spawn and maybe they are when I am not looking.
I am very happy with my water cooled LED light and my water cooled lighted algae scrubber. Not that water cooled fixtures are any better, just cooler, in more ways than one. I never liked having the same lighting as everyone else.
I have been gradually through attrition changing the tank over from corals to more sponges and gorgonians. I just like them better and think you can get more interesting stuff than the run of the mill corals. I still have a lot of corals and won't be throwing any out but I want to see how many sponges and gorgs I can fit in there.
I got this beautiful blueberry gorg a few weeks ago and although I doubt it will live long, it is still extending.

2015-03-26%2000.11.37_zpskxgerodt.jpg

These red things are sponges and there is a large blue sponge over that along with a bunch of gorgonians.
2015-04-01%2002.19.56_zps9axjbyjy.jpg

2015-09-09%2017.09.43-2_zps4ssqej8k.jpg

• Like 2

Yes and been in the USA since Jan 1980

Albert

Glad you decided to stay. I don't know what I'd have done without those hundreds of gallons of Dupla bioballs I bought from you back in the 80's. lol.

• Like 1

I had to clean the thing twice so far and seems to grow algae pretty well. It doesn't grow nice clean green algae like yours Atoll. Mine grows algae and slime. Disgusting stuff that I am glad I am removing. But my tank is old so why knows what is in there?

2015-04-02%2003.05.41_zpsbghoat4o.jpg

• Like 3

I had to clean the thing twice so far and seems to grow algae pretty well. It doesn't grow nice clean green algae like yours Atoll. Mine grows algae and slime. Disgusting stuff that I am glad I am removing. But my tank is old so why knows what is in there?

Yes that's what you get at first Paul so it is working, it might continue growing such algae for some time esp as you tank it so old as it will be pulling all manner of stuff out your water and rock etc. Eventually you will get green hair algae growing it's more a matter of when not if. As long as you have something growing on the screen it is doing a job for you. I got some right YUCK! stuff growing at first and some looked like somebody with a bad cold has sneezed in it. Took me about 6 months to get that green hair algae as you see it now.

• Like 2

Glad you decided to stay. I don't know what I'd have done without those hundreds of gallons of Dupla bioballs I bought from you back in the 80's. lol.

Lol indeed :)

Glad you made good use often though

Albert

• Like 1

To all that read that article, it's a Yellow nose goby, not a Yellow rose goby. It's been misspelled on 2 lists I get and it annoys me. 2 call it that, the other 2 call it a banded antenna goby, go figure.They are great little fish if you have a smaller tank, mine paired up with a tiger pistol shrimp and has been doing well for the last 4 years in the 130D.

• Like 1

To all that read that article, it's a Yellow nose goby, not a Yellow rose goby. It's been misspelled on 2 lists I get and it annoys me. 2 call it that, the other 2 call it a banded antenna goby, go figure.They are great little fish if you have a smaller tank, mine paired up with a tiger pistol shrimp and has been doing well for the last 4 years in the 130D.

Yes odd indeed ...

Albert