inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Good morning Albert, how are you?

Had a question about the nano food that I saw an ad for, in Marine Aquarist magazine, next to your book. Please tell me more about it, it said it was phyto? The food color was reddish and came in a capsule.

Thank you.

Kat

• Like 1

Good morning Albert, how are you?

Had a question about the nano food that I saw an ad for, in Marine Aquarist magazine, next to your book. Please tell me more about it, it said it was phyto? The food color was reddish and came in a capsule.

Thank you.

Kat

Good morning ... long time no speak :)

Here is probably what you were looking at (Total Nutrition Kat)

Total Nutrition
Many Hobbyists maintain Corals and even fish that require planktonic food as part of their nutrition from time to time. Often they will purchase liquid nutrition mixtures that contain phytoplankton, but also a lot of other ingredients that are not foodstuff, but mostly preservatives and other non-needed additives, compounds that not only will accumulate over time in their reefs, but even though they are added to what you purchase, lead to the liquid foods going bad (putrefying) even when placed in the fridge, which is the recommendation that most of them carry on their label.
I am sure if you have purchased and used such foods, that because most of the time they come in large sizes, and because you only use little at a time, you end up storing the remainder in the fridge, only to find out that after a certain amount of time (often shorter than you expected), the liquid in the container starts to smell really foul and basically needs to be discarded, meaning a loss of money for you.
Using Total Nutrition Powder from Daphbio France, which I import in capsules, eliminates all of the above, while providing superior nutrition for your corals, and even for some of your fish that consume the powder (the Mandarin Fish is just one example, and so are other fish that need only feed on very small particles).
Besides fish and LPS and SPS corals that require such food, many soft corals need that same kind of nutrition.
The capsules contain all the needed ingredients for all of those animals, and since the content comes in dry form there is no need to add any preservatives or other ingredients that are unwanted, and of course there is no need either to place them in the fridge either.
This leads to a far easier way to provide the needed phytoplankton to your lifeforms, and also to the fact that the food will not go bad, and saves money, even when kept in a regular storage place, as there is no need to place them in a Fridge .
So what does Total Nutrition from Dahpbio provide:
Protein, desirable Fat substances, Carbohydrates, Fiber (and a good quantity of the needed one), Minerals your corals and fish need, including calcium, magnesium, potassium, a tiny bit of iron, a number of Vitamins that are either naturally present or have been added to enhance the usefulness and completeness of the food (A, B, B1, B2, B12, C, E, and other ingredients such as Arginine, Histidine, Lysine and a number of others that make Total Nutrition really totally deserving of its name “Total” …
Contains no preservatives (they are not needed), no binders, no artificial coloring, no non needed additives, nothing that is not natural.
Sold in Packets of 10 or 25 capsules. The food is used once a week, 1 capsule per 20 gallons of water in the tank (75 liters) and added in an area with strong water movement so it spreads well over the entirety of the Nano or Reef Tank. The capsule itself is not used. It only serves as the container to hold the powder. Can be added directly to the Tank in a high flow area or to your sump if you have one. The first time you use Total Nutrition use 1/2 of the recommended dose and after that use the recommended amount for the size of your Nano/Reef.
Comes with a complete set of very detailed instructions. Totally safe for all life forms in your tank, even the most delicate ones.
The first time you use it only dispense half of a capsule per 20 gallons.
Albert
  • Like 1

Contrary to many reefkeepers, after 40 years, I never stopped liking mushrooms: colorful, hardy and easy to propagate. It was always a no brainier to me, but I was never one to follow the herd.

They are indeed great for any size reef tank

Albert

Thank you Albert. I got some of that from here http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/290747.php and some from other articles that deal more with fish.

I ALWAYS get something out of your posts Paul, you can teach an old dog new tricks. ;)

wolfie.jpg

Bounce Mushrooms are "killing" it right now

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/01/28/bounce-mushroom-anemones/

Albert

The devil will be wearing long johns before I pay $2500 for a mushroom. I have a hell of a time justifying a rock covered in nice ones for $50.

• Like 1

Good morning ... long time no speak :)

Here is probably what you were looking at (Total Nutrition Kat)

Total Nutrition
Many Hobbyists maintain Corals and even fish that require planktonic food as part of their nutrition from time to time. Often they will purchase liquid nutrition mixtures that contain phytoplankton, but also a lot of other ingredients that are not foodstuff, but mostly preservatives and other non-needed additives, compounds that not only will accumulate over time in their reefs, but even though they are added to what you purchase, lead to the liquid foods going bad (putrefying) even when placed in the fridge, which is the recommendation that most of them carry on their label.
I am sure if you have purchased and used such foods, that because most of the time they come in large sizes, and because you only use little at a time, you end up storing the remainder in the fridge, only to find out that after a certain amount of time (often shorter than you expected), the liquid in the container starts to smell really foul and basically needs to be discarded, meaning a loss of money for you.
Using Total Nutrition Powder from Daphbio France, which I import in capsules, eliminates all of the above, while providing superior nutrition for your corals, and even for some of your fish that consume the powder (the Mandarin Fish is just one example, and so are other fish that need only feed on very small particles).
Besides fish and LPS and SPS corals that require such food, many soft corals need that same kind of nutrition.
The capsules contain all the needed ingredients for all of those animals, and since the content comes in dry form there is no need to add any preservatives or other ingredients that are unwanted, and of course there is no need either to place them in the fridge either.
This leads to a far easier way to provide the needed phytoplankton to your lifeforms, and also to the fact that the food will not go bad, and saves money, even when kept in a regular storage place, as there is no need to place them in a Fridge .
So what does Total Nutrition from Dahpbio provide:
Protein, desirable Fat substances, Carbohydrates, Fiber (and a good quantity of the needed one), Minerals your corals and fish need, including calcium, magnesium, potassium, a tiny bit of iron, a number of Vitamins that are either naturally present or have been added to enhance the usefulness and completeness of the food (A, B, B1, B2, B12, C, E, and other ingredients such as Arginine, Histidine, Lysine and a number of others that make Total Nutrition really totally deserving of its name “Total” …
Contains no preservatives (they are not needed), no binders, no artificial coloring, no non needed additives, nothing that is not natural.
Sold in Packets of 10 or 25 capsules. The food is used once a week, 1 capsule per 20 gallons of water in the tank (75 liters) and added in an area with strong water movement so it spreads well over the entirety of the Nano or Reef Tank. The capsule itself is not used. It only serves as the container to hold the powder. Can be added directly to the Tank in a high flow area or to your sump if you have one. The first time you use Total Nutrition use 1/2 of the recommended dose and after that use the recommended amount for the size of your Nano/Reef.
Comes with a complete set of very detailed instructions. Totally safe for all life forms in your tank, even the most delicate ones.
The first time you use it only dispense half of a capsule per 20 gallons.
Albert

Thank you Albert, could you share a link where I could order from?

I have been using a baby brine shrimp feeder for many years. Notice the blue stripe pipefish and the mandarin are pregnant as they always are.

Hi Paul, I have tried this method and it works great but refilling the container is a PITA.

Injecting more BBS into the tube with a syringe isn't working out, mostly because the airline tubing is too narrow.

Could you share the tubing details on this feeder?

I thought I could get away with using de-capped eggs and let them hatch naturally in the tank so the refilling would be easier - that didn't work either.

• Like 1

How hard can manually stirring a vial be? Gentle swirl for 10 to 30 seconds max to mix the ingredients. Sorry, this is little more than a gimmick to me but I guess some might find it useful.

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/02/03/step-up-your-water-testing-with-speedstir-magnetic-stirrer/

Because people are lazy? I will admit, I have a magnetic stirrer, but it's a 2 litre size for making my 2 part up. Best of all, it was my favorite price, FREE! :D

• Like 2