Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Traded some frags yesterday for a small cultured clam. Not cheap here in the UK this little 2.1/2" specimen would have cost me £65 about $92. However I traded my frags to offset the cost so it cost me £17 about $24 with my 12 frags. You guys don't know how lucky you are there in the US where just about everything is cheaper than the UK. :(

20160122_161231_003_zps0dyyx0f1.jpg

You sure are a busy fellow with your tank Les

Albert

• Like 1

You sure are a busy fellow with your tank Les

Albert

the devil makes work for idle hands Albert.

I am always looking at ways to improve, save money, experiment, propagate and innovate. ;)

• Like 1

I hope that all of you who are experiencing this very heavy snow storm are OK

I hope the same for their tanks and their inhabitants

Here in ATL we had "some" snow, but nothing major ... it is up further North in GA that they got hit harder

Albert

• Like 1

Doing fine here Albert, just shy of 30" of snow so far. The power is still up, but I have an old Soviet diesel generator on standby.

I'd love to have one of those red Sea Reefer 425 tanks, but the price is astronomical. We've had 2 of the 130D tanks retrofitted with Steve's LED systems and that is about as perfect a system as you can get for one.

• Like 2

Doing fine here Albert, just shy of 30" of snow so far. The power is still up, but I have an old Soviet diesel generator on standby.

I'd love to have one of those red Sea Reefer 425 tanks, but the price is astronomical. We've had 2 of the 130D tanks retrofitted with Steve's LED systems and that is about as perfect a system as you can get for one.

Glad to read all is/was still OK

Albert

• Like 1

My tank is looking particularly nice today I seem to have hit that sweet spot. I am really liking my new AI Hyrda 26s (not the new HDs) supplemented with a couple of TMC reef blue Aqua Rays. Here's a couple of FTS.

20160124_135438_zpszvrruzvi.jpg

20160124_135458_zps4of9xtrv.jpg

• Like 2

Looks better than particularly good

Albert

Thanks Albert, You know when everything looks good you have hit that sweet spot with your tank. Time now to sit back and just monitor and enjoy. That is unless anybody got a Red Sea Reefer 425 going cheap lol.

• Like 1

Thanks Albert, You know when everything looks good you have hit that sweet spot with your tank. Time now to sit back and just monitor and enjoy. That is unless anybody got a Red Sea Reefer 425 going cheap lol.

Yes indeed now is the time to enjoy and watch as it all develops and grows further

Albert

PS those 425's don't come cheap :(

Like most people on the east coast, we got a little snow last night. About 27" I think. This is 2 hours after I cleared the sidewalk with my snow blower.

2013-08-05%2000.23.26_zpszxjkwdvl.jpg

2013-08-05%2002.03.34_zpselwbjyjm.jpg

Wow ... that is a lot of snow for sure Paul ...

Good thing you have a generator in case you loose or lost power

Albert

Yes Albert, I am prepared, I have a generator, a Jeep and a snow blower. I also have a supply of Grand Marnier and know how to light my fireplace. (flip a switch).

:) :) :)

I picked up my new completely custom tank last week. I'm replacing the 70 with this one, using the same stand. I'm really not looking forward to the work, but I'll be super happy when I'm done. I still need to get all the plumbing parts and some tubs for the transfer.

So my question is... Should I completely reboot the tank? Or try to deal with the bubble algae and keep everything. I'm leaning toward keeping everything because I don't want to spend the next two months chasing the cycle with live critters in the tank. But it would be oh so much easier to reboot... ;)

My foxface is doing a number on the bubble algae, and I figure during the transition, I will have all the rock out and in tubs to mechanically remove most of the bubble algae. The foxface could keep up with maintenance after that point I would think.

• Like 2

Yes Albert, I am prepared, I have a generator, a Jeep and a snow blower. I also have a supply of Grand Marnier and know how to light my fireplace. (flip a switch).

Glad you are all prepared as usual Paul

Albert

The weather was tough in Florida... Hit high 40's so we had to bring in the smaller Tortoises :lol:

E3EBE4CB-0B97-40DA-9885-B15F9ED19361_zps

One of the babies hatching

6C362716-BF56-4A07-930F-95E2204279AC_zps

Oh how cute!!! What kind of tortoises?? I used to raise Veiled Chamelions. How many tortoises do you have?
  • Like 1

Oh how cute!!! What kind of tortoises?? I used to raise Veiled Chamelions. How many tortoises do you have?

Red Foot Tortoises. Couple dozen probably, not sure exactly since they breed all the time.

• Like 1

We got 33" here as the final tally according to my gauge. Not even a flicker of a power outtage. The next street over has been without power since last night. My neighbor made a cable to run to his house and he's on my generator. We also put in a woodstove for him this summer and he's snug as a bug in a rug. I just got in from plowing out the front of my driveway, thank you state roads for dumping 432,688,999 yards of snow at the end of my driveway, lol. They left me a 20' wide x 6' high x 8' deep pile.

• Like 1

Well where I live we have had all of 1" of snow so far this year, we are far from out the woods however. What we have had is heavy rain fall for months so bad some people have been flooded out of their homes with rivers bursting their banks and general flooding. I live on the side of a hill so we are OK here not so for some people a few miles away the poor souls. In Cumbria many people have lost everything and have been flooded out more than once. Unfortunately for many it was worse around Christmas as not just river water but raw sewerage infected their homes as the drains emptied their contents back into people's homes.

• Like 1

We got 33" here as the final tally according to my gauge. Not even a flicker of a power outtage. The next street over has been without power since last night. My neighbor made a cable to run to his house and he's on my generator. We also put in a woodstove for him this summer and he's snug as a bug in a rug. I just got in from plowing out the front of my driveway, thank you state roads for dumping 432,688,999 yards of snow at the end of my driveway, lol. They left me a 20' wide x 6' high x 8' deep pile.

Wow ... that is awesome everything you guys did

Albert

Well where I live we have had all of 1" of snow so far this year, we are far from out the woods however. What we have had is heavy rain fall for months so bad some people have been flooded out of their homes with rivers bursting their banks and general flooding. I live on the side of a hill so we are OK here not so for some people a few miles away the poor souls. In Cumbria many people have lost everything and have been flooded out more than once. Unfortunately for many it was worse around Christmas as not just river water but raw sewerage infected their homes as the drains emptied their contents back into people's homes.

Pretty similar to what happens or happened here Les except that many areas got a lot lot more snow of course and in two days

Glad to read things are OK for you though

Albert