Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

and cost me very little to do the frags in truth. I even use bits of old rock etc to attach the Xenia too and then I just wait a couple of weeks so they attach well then sell them on to the LFSs.

• Like 1

and cost me very little to do the frags in truth. I even use bits of old rock etc to attach the Xenia too and then I just wait a couple of weeks so they attach well then sell them on to the LFSs.

Good plan Les

Albert

I had to perform surgery to my computer fan while it was still in the computer. This little fan was making a racket. I pulled the computer apart but this fan is in a part of the computer that doesn't lend itself to be taken apart without taking apart the entire guts and I didn't want to get into that if I didn't have to. I also tried to order that fan, but it seems it is un-available. (I changed the CPU fan while I was in there. I didn't have an exact match, but retrofitted a different one)
To repair this tiny fan, I first cut away the grill to expose the fan center. Then I peeled back the paper label to reveal the red dust cover plug. After removing that I put one drop of light machine oil on the fan shaft. Now it is as quiet as a hermit crab just after shedding his shell while he is sitting in a sound proof room, underground in Tibet.
2015-04-04%2003.04.12_zpsvfzlykvx.jpg

• Like 2

I had to perform surgery to my computer fan while it was still in the computer. This little fan was making a racket. I pulled the computer apart but this fan is in a part of the computer that doesn't lend itself to be taken apart without taking apart the entire guts and I didn't want to get into that if I didn't have to. I also tried to order that fan, but it seems it is un-available. (I changed the CPU fan while I was in there. I didn't have an exact match, but retrofitted a different one)

To repair this tiny fan, I first cut away the grill to expose the fan center. Then I peeled back the paper label to reveal the red dust cover plug. After removing that I put one drop of light machine oil on the fan shaft. Now it is as quiet as a hermit crab just after shedding his shell while he is sitting in a sound proof room, underground in Tibet.

2015-04-04%2003.04.12_zpsvfzlykvx.jpg

Fixing things instead of just dumping them is the way to go Paul.

• Like 2

If this didn't work, I would have cut the three supports on that fan and pulled out the entire fan out through the back of the computer, then attached a new fan to the outside of the computer.

This fan is not replaceable and the entire power supply must be replaced to change it. But that is for people who don't know any better. ;)

• Like 2

If it's the power supply board fan, I'd probably replace the whole thing if it needed more than a bit of oil or ran with craptastic air flow for too long. But I'm an IT guy who won't tolerate unexpected equipment failures. Maintain and repair on *my* schedule, instead of Murphy's.

• Like 1

My SPS barnacle frag tower is coming along very well. Most frags have doubled in size since I got them in the last few months and all are colourful.

Taken on the 02/11/2015

20151102_214750_zps5wjstssy.jpg

Taken an hour ago.

20160118_203127_zpspaen5sfc.jpg

• Like 2

I don't dump anything, besides this is a fairly new computer. This repair took less than five minutes.

:) Paul

-------------------------

Looking real good Les

Albert

• Like 1

DurocShark, that's why I like to re-design things. Most things are originally designed to be cheap. You can design them much better yourself and you can make the thing last forever. That fan probably wholesales for fifty cents, how good could it be made.

• Like 2

DurocShark, that's why I like to re-design things. Most things are originally designed to be cheap. You can design them much better yourself and you can make the thing last forever. That fan probably wholesales for fifty cents, how good could it be made.

How right you are Paul

Albert

In this case, it's probably exactly good enough to last the warranty period. ;) I replace my laptop every year or so. For me, it just needs to survive me for a year. Of course, I have an i7 SurfaceBook that I paid $2700 for. Well, the company who pays my credit card paid it... ;)

That's why I simply replace stuff. It's made exactly well enough to last the warranty period. No more. So if something fails, then the whole thing has probably come near end of life. Unfortunately, I can't afford time to actually repair things. I've got a stack of LCD monitors that I need to eCycle because they had a cap blow in the LED board. Known bad design in this particular model. A 50c capacitor would make it work fine. But the time it would take to repair is more than I can afford. New monitors are cheaper.

• Like 1

I would rather fix and then re-design so the thing lasts forever with no problems. To me (an old guy) it takes so long to get a new computer running the way I want or to learn the new programs. My new computer came with Windows 10. I hate the thing and want to go back to my crank driven wooden computer with windows -6 on it. So far in 3 weeks I can get on my E Mail and not much more. My old computer that was about 12 years old, I totally erased the hard drive, retrofitted new fans and a few other tune ups and that thing runs perfectly. Well it did until the power supply went. I could have easily changed it but my wife wanted a new computer. Big mistake as now I can barely use the thing. It's like a new car. I have two cars and I lease one. The one I own is a used car and I love it. I keep my car forever and as I said, just re-design things as they go. My new Jeep Cherokee which I love has been recalled 4 times in the first year. They fix it but it takes a couple of days each time which is a pain. I was a mechanic for GM, it takes 3 years to get the bugs out of new cars (or computers) so I like things 3 years old. My reef is going on 45 years old and I almost never have a problem with anything, but just search for how many problems people have with new systems. :)

I have a boat that I take people on long trips around the Statue of Liberty on. I don't want to get stuck so I re-designed a lot of the engines so almost nothing should fail and if it does, I can easily get the thing going again. I trust my engineering abilities much better than some guy in maybe China who I don't know and may have had a headache when he designed what I am about to buy.

2014-08-19164937_zps43332c52.jpg

2014-08-19163643_zps54c44303.jpg

• Like 1

I would rather fix and then re-design so the thing lasts forever with no problems. To me (an old guy) it takes so long to get a new computer running the way I want or to learn the new programs. My new computer came with Windows 10. I hate the thing and want to go back to my crank driven wooden computer with windows -6 on it. So far in 3 weeks I can get on my E Mail and not much more. My old computer that was about 12 years old, I totally erased the hard drive, retrofitted new fans and a few other tune ups and that thing runs perfectly. Well it did until the power supply went. I could have easily changed it but my wife wanted a new computer. Big mistake as now I can barely use the thing. It's like a new car. I have two cars and I lease one. The one I own is a used car and I love it. I keep my car forever and as I said, just re-design things as they go. My new Jeep Cherokee which I love has been recalled 4 times in the first year. They fix it but it takes a couple of days each time which is a pain. I was a mechanic for GM, it takes 3 years to get the bugs out of new cars (or computers) so I like things 3 years old. My reef is going on 45 years old and I almost never have a problem with anything, but just search for how many problems people have with new systems. :)

Haaaa all that new technology Paul

I agree ... I have Windows 10 on my laptop and it took me a while to figure it all out and when I say "all" I am sure I missed a ton of things it does that I am not even aware of

Albert

Well, I've had my 2nd Jebao RW-8 fail on me in the past year. The problem is the wiring inside the powerhead itself. But it's potted, so I can't get inside to fix it. Grrr...

I think I'm going to run on one powerhead and save up for something a little nicer.

• Like 1

I bought a Forest Fire monti a couple of months ago apparently they are a little temperamental. Anyway a couple of weeks (no more) after I put my forest fire in 2 tips bleached and I thought I was going to loose it. Then it stabilised and it has now started to grow. I think the cause was too high alk as my test kit said 15kdh it's now down to 10,2 so I think that's what's done it. The tips are still dead but it's now basing out and new tips have grown. I hope so as it's one of the nicest FF I or most people have seen. I think the coral will grow over the dead tips. Here it is now.

20160119_202650_zpsdutdswlf.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a Forest Fire monti a couple of months ago apparently they are a little temperamental. Anyway a couple of weeks (no more) after I put my forest fire in 2 tips bleached and I thought I was going to loose it. Then it stabilised and it has now started to grow. I think the cause was too high alk as my test kit said 15kdh it's now down to 10,2 so I think that's what's done it. The tips are still dead but it's now basing out and new tips have grown. I hope so as it's one of the nicest FF I or most people have seen. I think the coral will grow over the dead tips. Here it is now.

20160119_202650_zpsdutdswlf.jpg

Yes I think the polyp tissue will regrow Les ... Nice

Albert

• Like 1