Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

10pm here in the UK so 2 hours to go. I would just like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very happy new year and may 2016 prove to be one of the best for you all.

Les.

• Like 1

This morning when the lights came on in my tank I said to myself, "Self" this tank is gorgeous. Not because I have the nicest corals, fish, aquascape, lights or anything else but because my tank, and "every" tank is a work of art. Especially today after I stirred up everything with a diatom filter and sucked every thing out. The fish seem to be suspended in air as there is not a particle floating anywhere. I am sure the corals enjoyed the typhoon as they all seem to be smiling and extending their tentacles, probably only to be disappointed that they are not collecting anything. But that will change at dinnertime when I cut up some clams for the fish, but more importantly for the clam juice that the corals seem to enjoy. My tank depends on this treatment because I run a reverse undergravel filter. I am not sure how other people maintain their tanks as I have always ran this type of system. I like it because I can maintain it and truth be told, I enjoy doing it. Seeing the clouds of very fine detritus floating over the gorgonians (with the pumps off) and their tiny tentacles pulsating with enjoyment as they ingest this stuff. The fish flitting about trying to catch something that they hope is food. I realize many people would think of this as work. But if maintenance is work, why would you be in this hobby? "Work" or maintenance, feeding, cleaning, scraping, changing water etc. Is "all" fun to me. I had a job all my life where people threw money at me every week and every five minutes for forty years I looked at my watch to see if it was time for me to go home, partly to see my tank. That was work. Tank maintenance! That is fun. Every part of it. If it were not, I would go back to work, God Forbid.

• Like 3

This morning when the lights came on in my tank I said to myself, "Self" this tank is gorgeous. Not because I have the nicest corals, fish, aquascape, lights or anything else but because my tank, and "every" tank is a work of art. Especially today after I stirred up everything with a diatom filter and sucked every thing out. The fish seem to be suspended in air as there is not a particle floating anywhere. I am sure the corals enjoyed the typhoon as they all seem to be smiling and extending their tentacles, probably only to be disappointed that they are not collecting anything. But that will change at dinnertime when I cut up some clams for the fish, but more importantly for the clam juice that the corals seem to enjoy. My tank depends on this treatment because I run a reverse undergravel filter. I am not sure how other people maintain their tanks as I have always ran this type of system. I like it because I can maintain it and truth be told, I enjoy doing it. Seeing the clouds of very fine detritus floating over the gorgonians (with the pumps off) and their tiny tentacles pulsating with enjoyment as they ingest this stuff. The fish flitting about trying to catch something that they hope is food. I realize many people would think of this as work. But if maintenance is work, why would you be in this hobby? "Work" or maintenance, feeding, cleaning, scraping, changing water etc. Is "all" fun to me. I had a job all my life where people threw money at me every week and every five minutes for forty years I looked at my watch to see if it was time for me to go home, partly to see my tank. That was work. Tank maintenance! That is fun. Every part of it. If it were not, I would go back to work, God Forbid.

Well said Paul

Thanks for sharing

Albert

I'm the same way Paul, except that I'm going to turn my love of marine life into my job as I near retirement. I've always looked forward to getting home to the wife, the pups and my tanks, there's some sort of therapy in there somewhere.

Machine work and heavy equipment maintenance has taken its toll on my body over the last 25 years. Jumping out of aircraft and impacting the ground at high speed didn't do it any favors either. I need something easy to do.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. I was a commercial construction electrician foreman in Manhattan for 40 years and crashed in a helicopter twice in Nam. I lost count of shoulder and knee surgeries, but the parts of me that are working are working great. That's all we can ask for.

My Kids.. Happy New Year

IMG_25481_zpsprwpswjc.jpg

• Like 2

My dopey air pump for my home made skimmer croaked. Even though it is a venture skimmer it needs an air pump because it is 5' tall and my home made venture valve needs a little "help" getting air that far down. I don't remember when I got this pump but I know I didn't buy it. Someone must have gave it to me many years ago. I can normally fix these things but the silly little one way valves cracked as did the housing they are in. It is a "Luft" air pump which puts out 7lbs of pressure which is what I need. They sell repair parts but of course not the parts I need. That would be silly because then, you could fix the thing. I ordered a new pump but fixed the old one just to spite the company. I repaired the cracks in the valve housing with Goop glue and attached acrylic, spring loaded one way valves to the diaphragm to by pass the damaged valves. The thing works "almost" as good as new. The air pump is behind the white "controller" ($8.00 light timer) on the very neat shelf. Try not to comment on my phone wire. Yes I do have a wireless phone there but that one is just covering the hole in the wall for now. It is also from the 70s.

IMG_0460.jpg

• Like 1

Sir I would like to ask why my clown is not eating..I got it two days ago and also its.color is fading..and like swimming in an upward motion

Sounds like that fish is diseased and I recommend you return it to the store you got it from. Could be swim bladder issues and internal parasites

Albert

My next big DIY project is underway. I saw something similar on another forum but thought nice idea but I can improve on that. It's a light suspension system better than anything I have seen from manufacturers and a whole lot cheaper. When completed I will of course do some pic's. I can wait to get started as I have finally sourced all I need to make them.

• Like 1

thank you for this!!! I was just talking to someone on here about Ricordia Florida. That's going to be my next coral. I would like to have a garden of these and have quite a bit of real estate!

Glad it came at right time for you

Albert

My next big DIY project is underway. I saw something similar on another forum but thought nice idea but I can improve on that. It's a light suspension system better than anything I have seen from manufacturers and a whole lot cheaper. When completed I will of course do some pic's. I can wait to get started as I have finally sourced all I need to make them.

Great. Look forward to seeing the build Les

Albert

Hmmmm am not so sure that constitutes progress. It won't keep corals or fish any better and IMO FWIW it's a toy gizmo. The hobby is becoming a play thing. I have just 2 pieces of automation on my tank. Light controller and an ATU. That's all I need. If people want all these gizmos fine but I like to be hands on. Just old school I guess. I am also sure Paul will agree that doing a lot of DIY on our tanks makes us learn more about it and the equipment we use.

• Like 1

My fish just text me if they have a problem. Besides that. That thing would drive me crazy. I get up in the morning and "if" I go downstairs, I run my finger on the front glass of the tank and ..........Well that's it. That's my daily check to test the temperature.

Then I go about my day, searching for the meaning of life, food and Supermodels until I return and "if" I go downstairs, I take a clam out of my freezer, shave off some pieces, add some blackworms, throw it I the tank and go watch something enthralling in TV. Maybe "Leave it to Beaver"

The fish (some of which have been in there for 24 years) also go about their day. I am not sure what they do all day but they are all spawning so I imagine they are dating. The technology in my tank is an $8.00 timer that turns on the light.

• Like 1