Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Albert are you keeping jellies?

Still keeping them in the first tank I had for over a year now and just acquired a new tank, a Cubic 20 (Orbit) and cycling that one right one and may keep Blue Bubbler Jellies in that one

That tank was set up a few days ago so it is not ready yet for Jellies

Albert

• Like 1

I just installed the new water cooled lights and they work perfectly. They seem brighter than my old lights and they should be because there are almost twice as many LEDs. I am running them a few inches higher than the old fixture for a day so the corals have time to put on sunscreen. So far I am very happy with it. The only complaint I have is that now the back of my tank is lit up and I don't like that. These LEDs have no lenses so the light goes all over the place. I will think of something to alleviate that.

2015-02-28%2001.39.57_zpsljlimkvb.jpg

• Like 4

I just installed the new water cooled lights and they work perfectly. They seem brighter than my old lights and they should be because there are almost twice as many LEDs. I am running them a few inches higher than the old fixture for a day so the corals have time to put on sunscreen. So far I am very happy with it. The only complaint I have is that now the back of my tank is lit up and I don't like that. These LEDs have no lenses so the light goes all over the place. I will think of something to alleviate that.

2015-02-28%2001.39.57_zpsljlimkvb.jpg

Nce work Paul.

• Like 1

Now that my water cooled light works I think I will build another one for my algae scrubber. I think this one will be an air cooled copper one because it will be to small for a water pump. I just need to buy a copper plate about 8" square and I am going to solder fins all over the back and add a small fan. I have a bunch of extra LEDs I can use.
Another fun project.
2015-03-01%2000.10.05_zpsynnrs3ql.jpg

• Like 1

Now that my water cooled light works I think I will build another one for my algae scrubber. I think this one will be an air cooled copper one because it will be to small for a water pump. I just need to buy a copper plate about 8" square and I am going to solder fins all over the back and add a small fan. I have a bunch of extra LEDs I can use.

Another fun project.

Paul, is there any way you could hook up your soon-to-be-made refugium light with the new system for your display lights? That way only one cooling system.

• Like 1

Another fun project.

2015-03-01%2000.10.05_zpsynnrs3ql.jpg

Sound like a fun project indeed Paul

Albert

I was going to build the scrubber lighting into my normal light but decided against it because first of all I wasn't sure if it would work well and the second reason is I was designing it but it would be hard to purge the air out of the loop I would have to make to put LEDs on the scrubber. I didn't want an air release valve over the water because that water in the fixture is filled with copper.

• Like 1

I was going to build the scrubber lighting into my normal light but decided against it because first of all I wasn't sure if it would work well and the second reason is I was designing it but it would be hard to purge the air out of the loop I would have to make to put LEDs on the scrubber. I didn't want an air release valve over the water because that water in the fixture is filled with copper.

Makes sense, nice job. If I had a canopy I would be more DIY but as a rimless I want to keep it looking clean.

• Like 1

Yes I can see why

Albert

Mine is built into a wall so you don't see any of this.

2014-10-12091849_zpsf42eeb00.jpg

Looking good Paul

Albert

• Like 1

A friend gave me fifty lenses for my new water cooled LED fixture. They made a big difference and now I don't go blind when I open the front of the tank. They also cut down on the scattered light that was going all over the place as I hate to see the back of the tank. I still need about 20 more lenses and I did drop some in the water, they don't float and I can't find them. I will eventually.
The lenses didn't push on like they are supposed to because I didn't wire them the way they were meant to be wired. They came off a printed circuit board and I have wires soldered to them that does not allow the lens to fit. I solved the problem by cutting off the sides of the lens to make room for the wires. That allowed the lens to fit but they were very loose so I had to epoxy them to the LEDs which was easy.
Here is the cut lenses along with one that is not cut.
2015-03-02%2003.53.26_zpshdiliyt9.jpg

The lenses once again let the back of the tank go dark as I like it. I still need more lenses but all of the front and rear LEDs have lenses on them

2015-03-02%2004.53.27_zpsehs8fza9.jpg

• Like 1