Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Rick, it's a radiator like in a car. Warm water moves through the pipes, a fan blows air through the vanes, and the temperature of the water is reduced.

Is there a specific thing you're asking? Like how/why Paul would use it?

+1

Bought this gorgonian last week, beautiful.

20151116_170324_zpstjzhhaar.jpg

Very nice Les

I'm picturing Paul's lights as either being LEDs directly mounted to pipes, or heatsinks that attach to pipes. Either way, the pipes will have cold water running through to absorb the heat from the LEDs. That water will be warm when it gets to the radiator, where the heat is released into the air. The cooled water then goes back to the LEDs to get more heat.

You wouldn't really want to run aquarium water through there because there's likely metals used in its construction that you don't want leaching into the water.

• Like 2

The pipes are copper so I can't let any water from the cooling system leech into my tank. I picked up the copper just now and when I have time, I will solder it together to the shape I want. Then I may solder copper disks to the pipe to make a flat surface for the leds to be mounted to.

• Like 2

I started making the frame of my water cooled LED fixture. Now I am going to clean it up and connect the LEDs to it, them build a radiator. Does anybody need a water cooled LED fixture? Of course not. It is just very cool.

2015-01-31%2005.16.03_zpsyhpopxbw.jpg

Here is a better picture

2015-01-31%2005.17.21_zps986wzl1d.jpg

• Like 3

I'm really digging the steampunk look of that. Makes me want to do one. I still have a stack of 10w cool whites and 5w 440nm and a bunch of mixed 3w colors.

Hmmm...

• Like 1

I think Les' concern is that copper will get in the tank.

Will you be painting it?

Not sure painting would do it to be honest but I am sure the way Paul will set it up he will have a tray that collects any drip water so it does not enter the tank (his tank)

Albert

That is true, but the water will always be warm as the pump will turn on with the LEDs.

Well we are talking relative humidity and whats known as the dew point. In high humidity and at what condensation forms. Something in my occupation as a building projects manager I had to deal with and combat over many years. Here is an explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

• Like 1

I think Les' concern is that copper will get in the tank.

Will you be painting it?

No paint, I like living on the edge. Besides, there will be a plexiglass shield under it. But no water will drip. I personally guarantee it. But my corals are not so sure.

• Like 2

No paint, I like living on the edge. Besides, there will be a plexiglass shield under it. But no water will drip. I personally guarantee it. But my corals are not so sure.

Good idea to have a water trap underneath

I go through great pains when I design these ridiculous projects. It is all thought out over a glass of merlot. I just finished testing the water going through it to make sure the temperature is the same in all 3 pipes, and it is. I thought I would have to divert some of the water from the outer channel through the center, but it seems I do not. I measured where the 72 LEDs will be attached to the thing and the next step is to get the thermal glue. I hope Radio Shack has it because although they used to be a really good electronic's store, now they just sell cell phone cases and other Sissy things.

This is going to revolutionize LED light fixtures in this hobby. In my basement anyway.

• Like 3

Hi I have a 60 gallon reef and it has been set up for over one year. I have been fighting gha for three months and i thought chemiclean got rid of cyano but it came back a month later. I run the fluval marine and sea leds. They are on for 8 hours a day. I feed pellets and mysids every other day . I currently have one manderin dragonet,three chromis, one yellow wrasse, a larmack angel, a bicolor and lawnmower blenny and two pijama cardinals. I am running lr and a dsb and a canister filter for filtration and do a 15 percent water change once a week any help would be great

• Like 1