SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

The hard copy of my book just came out 20 minutes ago. I can't wait to read it. I ordered my copy covered in Yak leather embossed with elephant seal Ivory and inlaid zirconians. It cost me $2.00 more but it is worth it. :wub:

• Like 2

The hard copy of my book just came out 20 minutes ago. I can't wait to read it. I ordered my copy covered in Yak leather embossed with elephant seal Ivory and inlaid zirconians. It cost me $2.00 more but it is worth it. :wub:

? ?

Albert

Seahorse breeder is now selling the larger Oxydator model "W" in the UK now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxydator-W-increase-O2-in-aquariums-used-in-fish-breeding-reef-tanks-/321773884741?hash=item4aeb37d545

Plus something I haven't seen before an Oxydator fish transporting system.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sochting-Oxydator-FT-Fish-Transport-oxygenator-/221792104977?hash=item33a3d6f211

Thanks for the info

Albert

Just as long as I can order that same one written with a Spotted Owl quill I'll take a copy. ;)

• Like 2

The sales price of my Book Nano Reef Aquariums has been reduced to $ 15.00

You can order via www.nanoreefs.info, the only shopping menu

Thanks

Albert

If I were you guys, I would buy Albert's book. I have it, I read it, and I liked it.

Thanks Paul and followers do get Paul's book too. I did and it is definitely a "must" buy !!!!!

Albert

We're gonna set the way back machine to the days when Dupla bioballs were state of the art filtration. There were 2 MUST HAVE books, anything by Martin Moe and this guy named Albert Thiel. ;)

l9rz2kc.jpg

G6D6Q08.jpg

• Like 1

We're gonna set the way back machine to the days when Dupla bioballs were state of the art filtration. There were 2 MUST HAVE books, anything by Martin Moe and this guy named Albert Thiel. ;)

l9rz2kc.jpg

G6D6Q08.jpg

Thanks for the kind words StinkyBunny

I appreciate it

Albert

• Like 1

Note sure if you get 2 out of the 3 following coral puttys but here goes.

What do you prefer to attach corals, rock work or stick frags with. There are quite a few products out there some designed for use in the aquarium others not and a vast array of prices some very expensive others can be bought for as little as £1.50p. The most commonly used I believe is Milliput, Epo Putty and supper glue both liquid and gel, These are the 3 I have most commonly used in my aquariums.

I have used all 3 many times and I will stick (if you will excuse the pun) with Milliput and Supper glue gel. Epo putty I just can't get on with and unless you can support it while it goes off I find very difficult to work with. I use Milliput to create rock structures and attach corals and frags to my reefscape. I find it works much better than Epo putty once you get the hang of it from mixing into applying it.

A tip for you, Milliput is not so easy to mix the 2 ingredients as one is quite stiff. However pop both in a microwave oven for a few seconds and it becomes much more pliable and easier to mix together. Do be careful how long you leave it in the micro wave as it gets very hot and sticky quickly and you can burn your fingers. Milliput also comes in a variety of colours including Terracotta.

Both Milliput and Epo putty are not glues but grabbers, that is they don't actually stick as such to whatever you put it on but mold into the surface so a rough surface is recommended. Try and mold the putty not just on but up over the side of a rock or frag. I find Milliput tends to hold things that bit better than Epo putty and heating it and Epo putty helps the putty get into the pores of the rock so need it in well. For large structures I use acrylic rods to support a reefscape which is another topic for another day.

A word of warning about Milliput, it uses oxygen to cure and if you use too much it will strip oxygen from the tank water as it cures with what could be disastrous results for tank inhabitants so be careful how much you use at any one time. Once cured however Milliput is fine. I never use more than 1/2 a pack of Milliput at any one time in my AR300,

Supper glue gel is very good out of water and I use it to stick small coral frags to frag plugs. Both the plug and the frag must be as dry as possible however to get a good bond. I have used it to attach both soft corals and small SPS and LPS coral frags to plugs. One tip on using supper glue is you may find putting a drop of glue on each of the surfaces to be bonded and allowing it to dry before applying a second coat can result in a successful bond. When using supper glue either gel or normal always but the glued item in some salt water for a short period before putting it in the aquarium. Supper glue in it;s uncured form is toxic but unlikely to be a real problem unless using a lot of it, better safe than sorry though.

Well there you have it my experience in using 3 of the most commonly used products to attach frags and rock work in the aquarium, feel free to comment and add your own tips, advice and experiences.

Les.

milliput-standard-yellow-grey-epoxy-putt

• Like 1

Note sure if you get 2 out of the 3 following coral puttys but here goes.

What do you prefer to attach corals, rock work or stick frags with. There are quite a few products out there some designed for use in the aquarium others not and a vast array of prices some very expensive others can be bought for as little as £1.50p. The most commonly used I believe is Milliput, Epo Putty and supper glue both liquid and gel, These are the 3 I have most commonly used in my aquariums.

I have used all 3 many times and I will stick (if you will excuse the pun) with Milliput and Supper glue gel. Epo putty I just can't get on with and unless you can support it while it goes off I find very difficult to work with. I use Milliput to create rock structures and attach corals and frags to my reefscape. I find it works much better than Epo putty once you get the hang of it from mixing into applying it.

A tip for you, Milliput is not so easy to mix the 2 ingredients as one is quite stiff. However pop both in a microwave oven for a few seconds and it becomes much more pliable and easier to mix together. Do be careful how long you leave it in the micro wave as it gets very hot and sticky quickly and you can burn your fingers. Milliput also comes in a variety of colours including Terracotta.

Both Milliput and Epo putty are not glues but grabbers, that is they don't actually stick as such to whatever you put it on but mold into the surface so a rough surface is recommended. Try and mold the putty not just on but up over the side of a rock or frag. I find Milliput tends to hold things that bit better than Epo putty and heating it and Epo putty helps the putty get into the pores of the rock so need it in well. For large structures I use acrylic rods to support a reefscape which is another topic for another day.

A word of warning about Milliput, it uses oxygen to cure and if you use too much it will strip oxygen from the tank water as it cures with what could be disastrous results for tank inhabitants so be careful how much you use at any one time. Once cured however Milliput is fine. I never use more than 1/2 a pack of Milliput at any one time in my AR300,

Supper glue gel is very good out of water and I use it to stick small coral frags to frag plugs. Both the plug and the frag must be as dry as possible however to get a good bond. I have used it to attach both soft corals and small SPS and LPS coral frags to plugs. One tip on using supper glue is you may find putting a drop of glue on each of the surfaces to be bonded and allowing it to dry before applying a second coat can result in a successful bond. When using supper glue either gel or normal always but the glued item in some salt water for a short period before putting it in the aquarium. Supper glue in it;s uncured form is toxic but unlikely to be a real problem unless using a lot of it, better safe than sorry though.

Well there you have it my experience in using 3 of the most commonly used products to attach frags and rock work in the aquarium, feel free to comment and add your own tips, advice and experiences.

Les.

milliput-standard-yellow-grey-epoxy-putt

Thanks for the very detailed explanation and instructions Les

Albert

That book came along with 40 gallons of bioballs, lol. I bought that when we had the 8' 240.

Nice and thanks for the going back in history :

Albert

• Like 1

Can you buy Milliput and Epo putty in the US? Milliput is branded under different names and as coral putty but they increase the price significantly. I could tell you some if the brands that rebadge Milliput as their own but I would have to take you out and shoot you :wacko: lol

• Like 1

Can you buy Milliput and Epo putty in the US? Milliput is branded under different names and as coral putty but they increase the price significantly. I could tell you some if the brands that rebadge Milliput as their own but I would have to take you out and shoot you :wacko: lol

I see Milliput on Amazon (US) Les and at different prices depending on the exact names (terracota, epoxy and more)

Albert

• Like 1

I am using an oxydator mini in my fluval spec v with one catalyst and the stock 4.9% peroxide solution.

Do you think it would make much of a difference to use two catalysts and 3% peroxide when I run out of the 4.9%.

Thanks

Rich

• Like 1

I am using an oxydator mini in my fluval spec v with one catalyst and the stock 4.9% peroxide solution.

Do you think it would make much of a difference to use two catalysts and 3% peroxide when I run out of the 4.9%.

Thanks

Rich

Personally I would stay with 1 catalyst and switch to 6 % H2O2 to get more effect and results

Albert

• Like 1

Youn can use another catalyst on a less strength peroxide solution for now but get back to what you know and have been using when you can.

Thanks, I'll order some higher strength. I still have one small bottle of the 4.9% and a refill seems to last about 12-14 days.

The tank was started on 9-12-2015 and other than the normal diatom bloom, I'm amazed with the lack of algae so far.

• Like 2

Thanks, I'll order some higher strength. I still have one small bottle of the 4.9% and a refill seems to last about 12-14 days.

The tank was started on 9-12-2015 and other than the normal diatom bloom, I'm amazed with the lack of algae so far.

Great news ....

Looks like the Oxydator is really doing it for you

Albert

• Like 1

Bought this Gorgonian a few days ago. Each day more and more polyps emerge from it. I think it's a photosynthetic species, I hope so anyway as I have had great success with similar in the past even propagating them, in fact, I believe I was the first to crack propagating them back in the day.

20151023_190635_002_zpsir9204va.jpg

• Like 2

I took a video. It was clear when I took it but on You Tube it is kind of blurry so I guess I am not like Stephen Speilburg.

Looked OK to me

A